Hayes Stroker Trail Disc Brake System

3.78/5 (73 Reviews)

Radial design, cast aluminum master-cylinder with integrated reservoir; carbon fiber lever blade with an indexed reach adjuster dial. Symmetrical, flip-flop lever design with removable bar clamp.

Submitted by akacoke a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    they are fairly light compare to the BB7 set up i had for years, i have the newest 2012 ones, they are very nice brakes if you get them at a good price . great power . good for mild DH , plenty enough to XC. they would lock up the wheels instantly if you want them to. it actually amazes me how good the modulation is. lever action is smooth, returns well. overall a very solid brake set.

Weaknesses:    IMO almost too much modulation , out of the box the lever has a bit much travel then i expected, and its lacking that extra firm feel , maybe bleeding would get rid of the extra long lever travel and soft lever.

Bottom Line:
i payed $120 for a brand new set F&R without rotors or adapter, so i can not complaint. they are just very decent brakes, i dont experience any problems others have, maybe hayes has already improved them. they function just flawless , id recommand to anyone

Duration Product Used:   2 month

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Submitted by amirn3

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    - braking power
-modulation
-comforatable levers
-looks good
-great price' nothing can beat it on this price

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i love it' if you are thinking on new brakes around this price get it, its the best you can get!

Submitted by Tom Thomson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    - Great Stopping Power
- Perfect Modulation
- Look sexy

Weaknesses:    - None so far

Bottom Line:
Perfect modulation and stopping power, even in the toughest conditions. I have been taking them out a few times to Fruita (Colorado's MTB heaven) and this who know Fruita know it's the ultimate brake test. I upgraded from the Stroker Ryde's to the Trails and it's a major difference. The Trail's are amazing value for money and I can't think of an better brake for the same price than these. I have experience with Avid and Hope but I've always gone back to Hayes.

Favorite Trail:   Fruita Kokopelli

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Stroker Ryde

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Xam 1
Sram X9 Drive Train
Marzocchi 55 TS2 Schock

Submitted by mtnbiker559 a Downhiller from exeter, ca

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Strengths:    light weight , great stopping power,

Bottom Line:
for the price nothing beat the hayes stroker trail breaks

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   other hayes breaks

Bike Setup:   downhill rig, 40 lb bike

Submitted by lloydd71 a Weekend Warrior from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Strengths:    When they worked, they would stop my bike.

Weaknesses:    Lack of modulation and reliability.

Bottom Line:
These were my first set of disc brakes that came stalk on a bike. They gave me problems from day one, which I assumed was just the price of having disc brakes. I couldn't seem to get them to stop rubbing on the rotor. After repeated trips to the shop, Hayes decided to rebuild them. In the month it took Hayes to rebuild them I decided I'd had enough and purchased a pair of Avid Elixir CR's. The difference was night and day and I realized how much my Hayes just sucked. When I received the rebuilt brakes, I put them in the garage for the next two years until I received a new bike frame. Wanting to save a little money, I decided to put the rebuilt Hayes on the new bike. Again, they were very fussy and gave me grief with rotor rub. After a short time, the rear brake started to fade so I took them in for a bleed. I was told that the master-cylinder needed replacing, so I replaced it. Two rides later, the rear brake stopped working. Back to the bike shop. This time the bike shop contacted Hayes and sent the brake off. Hayes reported that the rear brake line had been destroyed, even though I had just purchased the rear brake line specifically for the new bike and it had less than a few hundred miles on it with no damage to it. My LBS reported a difficult time dealing with Hayes and after six weeks, they sent the brakes back with a new brake line that they begrudgingly paid for.

Bottom line: These brakes didn't work all that well on the rare day they were working - sticky levers and lack of modulation. My bikes have spent way too many days out of commission as a result of this inferior product. Although I know people who have these same brakes and are OK with them, my experience (both with the brakes and with Hayes customer service) keeps me from recommending them.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT and Avid Elixir CR's.

Submitted by marzocchimarc a Weekend Warrior from central square

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2011

Strengths:    everything, power, modulation, reliable and easy to bleed.

Weaknesses:    none except hard to center maybe?

Bottom Line:
these brakes perform alot better than some very expensive brakes. they feel great, have almost no brake fade, powerfull, grrrrrreat looking, RELIABLE and cheap. what more could you really ask for in a brake?? i would HIGHLY reccomend this brake to anyone!!!

Purchased At:   e-bay!

Similar Products Used:   shimano saint, shimano slx, hayes mx4, avid(terrrrrrible!!)

Bike Setup:   2011 giant reign 1, fox 36talas rlc fork, slx drivetrain, nevegal tirs, saint brakes

Submitted by VTSession a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2011

Strengths:    Lite, smooth lever action, modulates well, powerful, looks good, low profile design, good price.

Weaknesses:    interferes a little with the positioning of my X9 shifters, longer lever reach.

Bottom Line:
I went with the Hayes Stroker because I had three sets of HFX 9 brakes over the years and never had a problem with any of them. So far these prove to be well built, powerful and solid. I'm confident they'll last me many seasons

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   Avid Elixers, Hayes HFX, Shimano XTs

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Butcher, Fox RP23 shock, X9, Domain 318 fork, Transition Rev. wheels, WTB tires, Fizik saddle, Thomson post and stem, Race Face Atlas FR bar.

Submitted by outlaw1776 a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Not much adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Purchased with a used bike and thought the brakes sacked..... but replaced the rotors and pads and they're really good! Even modulation and steady power throughout. I wouldn't race them but more than adequate for typical XC riding.

Submitted by mdubyade a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    good power, white color, easy reach adjustment, kit I bought came with parts to shorten brake line.

Weaknesses:    you have to pull lever for about 1.5 cm before any engagement, has a more on/off feel, there is modulation but it is little and it takes a minute to get used to, but I am still breaking mine in so it could get better.

Bottom Line:
For the price you cannot beat the performance and looks. It is pretty light too. I am happy with my purchase, would buy again. The line that came on mine was super long so I had to shorten and my brake came with the extra parts to do so, which was nice. I was also able to shorten the line without having to re-bleed, which was very nice, just don't spill any fluid. Replacing pads is also a snap. I think after mine is properly broken in I will really enjoy it. I currently just have the rear, but I will defiantly get the front in the future. 5 chilies for great value, 4 chilies overall because on the dead pull before engagement. I bought because I needed a brake and just wanted to get riding again, don't buy if you can afford better.

Favorite Trail:   Apex

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 3

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by pistolpete83 a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent Stopping Power.
Nice feel and great modulation.
I have bigger hands and they are very comfy:)
Easy to clean and maintain (change pads)
No fad even after bombing down a hill on a 40lb bike and 240lb rider.

Weaknesses:    Makes a funny noise when once in a while...Almost like a makes a squeak and sucking sound together...Not a huge deal but I ride through my town alot and when I come to a stoppie or something they make a gay noise...not a big deal but ya know, wish it didn't happen...tried to clean tighten and adjust it out but it still happens.

Bottom Line:
Really sweet Brakes. Very powerful and easy to maintain. No problems and very safe. They give me so much confidence if I get on another bike I might forget I don't have the same power I almost kill myself. I would recommend them especially for $75/wheel. (Pricepoint.com)

Favorite Trail:   MT Beacon

5" in back
2.25 tires @ 60 psi

Submitted by mpd74 a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    all around great hydraulic disc break for price.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
great product all around

Favorite Trail:   highland

Purchased At:   price point.com

Bike Setup:   hayes stroker trail 'white'

Submitted by Pedo a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Aren't strong or reliable enough

Bottom Line:
Changed to 203mm Front Rotor and EBC pad. As soon as I did this the rod coming from the piston snapped and the outer pad fell out. Rebuilt the caliper and before my first ride on it the same rod snapped again. Brake fade during long decent.

Favorite Trail:   Braille

Similar Products Used:   Works fine with 180 Front Rotor
Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   AM/Freeride

Submitted by AndyG a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh PA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good, cheap

Weaknesses:    Pin holding pad now bent for 2nd time. Have never been able to stop them rubbing on disks. Poorly positioned lever relative to where your thumb needs to be to operate gears.

Bottom Line:
Don't get these brakes, they don't allow any pad adjustment, need constant bleeding and the pads fall out whenever you take the wheels off. Crap

Favorite Trail:   24 @ 7Springs