Hayes Stroker Ryde Disc Brake System

3.47/5 (62 Reviews)

The Ryde brake platform isThe lowest priced Stroker model, but it’sanything but entry-level.The essential Stroker ingredients are allthere –The radial master cylinder,The increased fluid volume,Theergonomic lever design, andThe proven power and modulation. At aTotalsystem weight of 400g (including 6″ rotor and hardware),The Ryde packshigher performance at a lower price and weightThan all its competitors. All new radial design optimized for strength, lightweight and compactsize

Submitted by Jason a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2012

Strengths:    I guess they did slow the bike down most of the time.

Weaknesses:    constant need of maintenance, need of specialty tools to maintain (what's wrong w/ hex and screws?!), lack of overall power, levers rattling when not in use, reach adjustment falls out of adjustment after 4 miles of use or so, susceptible to dirt getting in mechanism such that brakes did not return on their own... again... constant need of maintenance. It was like driving with only a parking brake. And it turned my bike into a New Years noise maker. Loudest brakes I've ever heard.

Bottom Line:
I've never had brakes that needed more TLC... and even under the best circumstances, they were inadequate in power. They came with my Cannondale Rize 4... I tried to make them work... rebuilds, bleeds, pads, alignments, both myself and mechanics, and at the end of the day, I had inadequate brakes that I was literally pushing out to disengage manually. That's when I gave up. They are in the garbage now.

Favorite Trail:   Downiville Downhill Classic

Duration Product Used:   1.5 yrs

Purchased At:   Came On Bike

Similar Products Used:   Hayes CODE (powerful but heavy; no reach adjustment), Shimano XT (best so far, but I'm paranoid I'm gonna break the reach adjustment when I fall on the lever); avid mechanical (good for a mechanical disk brake)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4 w/ XT/LX FOX (no lefty)

Submitted by gschwell a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2012

Strengths:    Tough, set-em and forget-em. Nice looking low-profile lever design.

Weaknesses:    Lever feel, power, play in levers.

Bottom Line:
I got the set (front and rear) for $100 , which is hard to argue with. I hated the lever feel since day one and was looking for an excuse to buy new brakes, but they just wouldn't die. I rode them for three solid years of xc riding without any need for service. No bleeding, no adjustment- they just kept working. The levers took some hits as well without damage. In spite of the durability of the brakes I really hate their feel and ergonomics. They feel like grabbing a 2x4, the lever pivot point is wrong, and the power just isn't there. I finally replace them with a set of Avid XO's and am in heaven with their buttery smooth lever feel, I just hope they'll last as well as the Hayes.

Favorite Trail:   Technical

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   -

Similar Products Used:   Avid bb7, juice 7, elixir 7sl, XO Trail

Bike Setup:   Canfield Nimble9 single speed, Reba.

Submitted by mjnielsen21 a Cross Country Rider from Chania, Crete, Greece

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2011

Strengths:    Good overall functionality. Good stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Fit and finish, lever play.

Bottom Line:
These Hayes brakes are one of the few things on my bike I haven't upgraded(yet). I did upgrade the rotors to 203mm and I would say they are very sufficient to good. I haven't had any major dissappointment's as modulation is pretty consistent and they don't seem to fade even after lots of downhill. Overall, a very cost effective choice(they get 5 chili's for the value) and better than the Avid Juicy 3's. Still, the fit and finish is slightly lacking bringing the overall to a 3.

Purchased At:   Included on my Tranc

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 3, 5.

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X '09, Fox F32 140mm, RP23, XT f&r der., XTR shifters, SLX 9sp. crank, Hutchinson tubeless on Mavic Crosstrail's, KS remote dropper post.

Submitted by floater333 a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2011

Strengths:    Great grabbing power! Good price. Good for one-fingered braking! You will be pleased with this brake if you choose to buy it. Most of my friends have these brakes and use them on their hardtails.

Weaknesses:    Noisy

Bottom Line:
A great hydraulic brake if you are on a budget(me) most of the people I ride with have these brakes. My other friends(they own downhills) have Avid Codes, but if you are on a budget these are the GO!

Favorite Trail:   drop-in

Purchased At:   Daktari Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Tektro IO Mechanical

Bike Setup:   Haro Thread Comp 2011, BooBars, FSA Gravity crankset.

Submitted by jlopez281 a Weekend Warrior from california

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    good bite little to no adjustment

Weaknesses:    a little noisy but is expected.

Bottom Line:
these brakes are good for the price. I would recommend them for a rider on a budget(myself). I use them on single tracks all mountain riding

Favorite Trail:   northridge,carbon canyon

Submitted by casrec a Downhiller from Bend Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2011

Strengths:    Look, Lever feel, front brake works great!

Weaknesses:    Back brake does not have the same power as the front. This might be because the longer PVC hose. Hose upgrade might help. Both brakes fade after long descents. Stock semi metallic pads chip easy and I would upgrade to good sintered pads right away.

Bottom Line:
These are decent enough brakes for a stock bike. They have done the job for about 100 miles now but they are not great and will be replaced soon. If they come with a reasonably priced bike then great, but I wouldn't just buy these brakes after market.

Favorite Trail:   Wanoga System

Purchased At:   came with KHS Velvet

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 3, Formula The One

Bike Setup:   2010 Stock KHS Velvet

Submitted by tutterz a Weekend Warrior from Middlesbrough

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Came on my 09 specialized pitch, strengths?
the front brake with a 203mm is pretty awesome, really good at stopping you in your tracks

Weaknesses:    they feel wooden when applying them, crap levers, seem to need bleeding after every hard ride out, the back brake is crap. after very light use warming it up you can no longer lock the back wheel up with it, you squeeze as hard as you can and it barely slows you down, and then the lever seems to enjoy becoming slack and sits closer back to the handlebars making one finger braking impossible as the lever then squishes your middle finger and doesnt allow proper braking.

Bottom Line:
Good for a light rider who just wants to mooch about, go up a few hills, go down a few small hills, commute etc, but if your thinking of going down any trails with these i'd be super weary

Favorite Trail:   Guisborough Forest

Purchased At:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   Hayes mechanical

Bike Setup:   2009 specialized pitch comp mostly stock

Submitted by seano26 a Weekend Warrior from Milton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Had good power and modulation for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Works decently when wet. Easy to change the pads.

Weaknesses:    Lost 40-50% of power after the first 2 weeks, even after being bled and changing pads, it's not the same. Lots of play in the lever. On and off power.

Bottom Line:
These brakes were great when I got them, lots of bite, power and work great in all conditions. Then 2 weeks later they began to lose the initial bite and power they had. Once they had lost about 40 or 50% of their power I brought them in to be bled and had the pads changed. Now their pretty much the same except now the front brake is on and off, so one minute it'll have plenty of power and I'll get all excited, then 2 minutes later it won't even be able to stop me on a shallow hill. Coming from Avid BB7's as my last brakes I expected an improvement, but I only got a disappointment. If your looking for a cheap hydraulic brake i do not recommend these, instead just get a good pair of mechanical's, like BB7's.

Favorite Trail:   All-mountain

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB7, Hayes MX-4

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Frame, Hayes Stroker brakes, Truvativ 27 speed drivetrain, Holzfeller bars, Rockshox Sektor U-turn Fork, I-Beam Seatpost and saddle.

Submitted by TwoHeadsBrewing a Cross Country Rider from Chico

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, effective, pad changes are easy.

Weaknesses:    Noisy, play in lever, underpowered for downhill runs.

Bottom Line:
These brakes came stock on my bike and for about 3 months they worked great. After that the front brake started making horrible squealing sounds every time the brake was applied. Oddly enough, this was not a problem with the rear. I replaced the stock V6 rotor with a V7 rotor and organic pads. They still make noise when they get hot, but other than that they are fairly quiet.

I still feel like the front is underpowered for sustained downhill runs, even with the larger V7 rotor. I suppose there is only so much you can do with that size caliper, after which heat dissipation doesn't matter.

The other problem with these brakes is the lever has developed significant wobble up and down. There is only a pin and a circlip which attaches the lever, so you cannot just tighten it up. Poor design which is obviously going to loosen up over time as people use their bikes off road.

For the money, they aren't horrible but I would recommend saving your money for a bit and buying something better.

Favorite Trail:   Guardian's - Bidwell Park

Purchased At:   Cyclesport

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 5, Shimano XT hydro, Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4

Submitted by sops a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    Rather good modulation and stopping power for XC use.
Has good initial bite. I'm not sure about others but I find that if you grab the levers fast and hard, the braking is much stronger than if you slowly grab the levers.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't stop well if you're intending to use it to bomb downhills.
Gets "soggy" after a 2 months of using and need to be rebled.

Bottom Line:
This came stock with the bike. I'm more of a light freeride/downhill kind of rider and the brakes do not allow me fast, sudden braking when I need the most. Very dangerous and the brakes couldn't slow me down on those gnarly descents. I can perform stoppies with my BB7s and deore but I can't with the rydes! Overall, I find that they're good brakes for xc use (for the price) but I would say if you're more aggressive downhill or an AM rider and above, look elsewhere.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore
Tektro
Avid BB7

Bike Setup:   Haro X6

Submitted by RedBack a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Strengths:    solid, sturdy, reliable.

Weaknesses:    not so good wet

Bottom Line:
They came with the bike. Liked them better that the other (dont know what they were) brakes installed on some of the other bikes i tested. They felt like they had more initial bite.
6 months latter ive replaced both front and back pads. You can tell when they go out. Ive smashed the levers against several trees, ive dumped, crashed and flipped on my bike and they dont seem to mind, much.
they feel great dry, soon as you get em wet they are a bit scary, but the pads were low too so i dont know which it was.

Favorite Trail:   Brail

Purchased At:   mikes bikes of los g

Bike Setup:   2010 DB Mission 1 stockish

Submitted by Manchicken a Downhiller from Axminster, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    For an entry level brake that i bought second hand it has good modulation and rather good stopping power. mine are set up with 8"f and 7"r rotors and have superstar kevlar pads and have equal if not more power than my mates juicy 4r's

Weaknesses:    could do with more stopping power if used for dh (some people are gunna go for it like me) and theres alot of movement in the lever

Bottom Line:
I use mine for dh which i probably shouldnt but despite the amount of bad reviews i think it has rather adiquate stopping power when paired with superstar kevlar pads. Basicly if you can get them cheap ike i did or are using them for anything other than downhill then i would highly recomend them especialy if your on a budget.

Similar Products Used:   hope mono mini and juicy 3 (both a dj bikes

Bike Setup:   bergamont team dh 888wc hayes stroker ryde pro2 on spank stiffy's tiagra mech sram shifter truvativ crank and chain device etc

Submitted by alllc43 a Weekend Warrior from Sherman Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2010

Strengths:    7" Rotor front and back gives me great stopping power. For the money these brakes are the way to go, I hear a lot of complaints, but so far they have been great for me, if anything changes I will let you know... Happy Riding!

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I would recommend these brakes to anyone with a budget under $200 for Hydro Disc brakes...

Favorite Trail:   Caballero

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance with SLX crank, Sun Ringle equalizers wheels, Rock Shox Tora SL, Thompson post and Stem.

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Good braking power, good looking, strong pieces

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Excellent brakes for the price. The adjustment can be done by simply tighten or loosen the little bolt on the lever with a 2.5 allen. Great braking power. I use a v7 rotor on front and a v6 on the rear. Perfect for trail/XC use.

Favorite Trail:   Cardo

Purchased At:   a friend

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy Carbon, Avid BB7

Submitted by Hobbes a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2010

Strengths:    No noise so far, simple maintenance, very reliable. Easy to brake, modulation is great.

Weaknesses:    Same stopping power than good V-brakes, but better modulation. Brakes keep rubbing the pad, no option to adjust the pad on-the-fly

Bottom Line:
I am overall happy with this brakes, no noise at all,they are very quiet (as opposed to Avid Brakes). They came as OEM on my bike, I was expecting more stopping power, so I upgraded the front disc to a 8" (plus adapter), which made a HUGE difference. In the next couple of months, I will change to a 7", as I am only a trail rider.
Noticed that the rotor rubbed the pads, specially when turning, pushing the pistons back seems to resolve the issue temporarily, my rotors are true. I wished they had on-the-fly control.
Summary: If they came as OEM with your bike, enjoy them and dont complain so much! get a bigger front rotor (7" or 8"). Hayes brakes are way better than any other one I tried, their tech support is excellent and it's very easy (and cheap) to find replacements part.