Hayes Stroker Gram Disc Brake System

4.63/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 355g MSRP : $123.00

Hayes ultra-light weight brake system retains allThe stopping power of its sister-series brakes (StrokerTrail and Carbon) while shedding material and weight.All new radial design optimized for strength, light weight and compactsize. Lever stroke blends naturally and ergonomically with riders hand. Insulated caliper pistons control fluidTemperature for smooth andconsistent brake engagement. Adjustable caliper hose routing allows riderTo set ideal hose exitangle for any mounting scenario. Alumin

Hayes Stroker Gram Disc Brake System Pro Review

I have been out cranking and bashing away on a pair of Hayes Stroker Gram disc brakes for almost a year now on my Ibis Mojo. Although they are not the lightest pair of brakes I have used in the ever expanding weight weenie disc brake world, they are quite powerful, with excellent fade resistance. Continue reading →

Submitted by obs08 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight, look good, comes with ti hardware already

Weaknesses:    none that i can find

Bottom Line:
purchased these on sale, $180 for front and rear. installed on giant trance 27.5 and have put a little over 300 miles on them so far. everything from bike park to local trails and these have never let me down. stopping power is great, not overly powerful but i dont think id want that anyway, ive never felt like i wish they had more power than they do. level adjustment is quick and easy with the dial. have crashed a handful of times and levers and master cylinder held up just fine. overall i am extremely pleased with these and would not hesitate to purchase them again

Duration Product Used:   300mi

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Submitted by bitflogger a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2014

Strengths:    Light, reliable, works well, didn't break the bank.

Weaknesses:    None except some might prefer mineral oil type.

Bottom Line:
No complaints here. These have served me for around 4 years, they perform well, tool-free pad change. They're not as noisy as Avids I have. The carbon levers and overall product has stood up to rough use and the elements. If they're not as grabby as others I have that's in a good way. Use is very predictable.

Similar Products Used:   Older Hayes, Avid & Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert.

Submitted by Cort Cooper

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    Work great. Modulation is smooth and steady. Stop quickly

Weaknesses:    The master cylinder sticks out well away from the handlebars so the unit could easily get banged in a crash.

Bottom Line:
My first experience with hydraulic brakes were some mid-range Avid Juicy hydraulic brakes that were plagued by sticking pistons. The Hayes have been trouble free.

Submitted by chestercospinner a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2012

Strengths:    great all around brake really tight. easy to bleed with pro bleed kit. good stuff al in super light package!

Weaknesses:    none really after 6 mo of use.

Bottom Line:
bought these from treefortbikes.com very helpful in my process to select brakes. the pro bleeder kit was worth the $30 invest, makes the job super easy. buy these brakes.

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    Great value. Really reliable, solid carbon levers, bulletproof body, great stopping power, excellent performance, and even though is lightweight!

Weaknesses:    A bit on the on/off side if you like the levers pretty much away from the bar. I've had a couple of "turnovers" due to that but I have fixed it by adjusting the levers a bit closer to the handlebar.

Bottom Line:
The best hydraulic brake I have had so far. Really got to say thanks for these.

I would totally recommend these for Trail/AM riding. Great power and light enough for me.

Favorite Trail:   El Condor

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Stroker Ryde, Avid Juicy Carbon, Avid BB7, BB5, Tektro IO

Submitted by scotawful a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight. True to claimed weight on website (I measure everything because I'm an insufferable weight weenie). Good bite and modulation. Levers feel very good in hands, and contact point has very good feel. Great all around brake.

Weaknesses:    Looses some feel and bite under heavy use, but to be expected for smaller to mid-size rotors that I use.

Bottom Line:
If you can get one of the smoking deals out there on these brakes, they are totaly worth it (Chain Reaction or Price Point). Otherwise, a little on the pricey side IMO. Probably not up to snuff for more DH oriented riders, but great for XC and AM riding. Would definitely recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Trails

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 7, Elixir.

Submitted by mjj29er a Cross Country Rider from midwest

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, consistant feel. Easy to adjust, bleed, shorten the lines and change pads. Quiet. I don't get any rubbing like I did on my Elixer CR Mags until I threw them in the garbage. Work awesome with XTR centerlock rotors but you have to trim off the tab on the inner pad.

Weaknesses:    At first I would have said levers could be longer for twist shifters, but I wouldn't change them now that I have lots of time on them. After extreme use the pistons seem to get a "memory", essentially they travel in one area repeatedly and when new pads are installed you may have to clean/lube the pistons to gain smooth, full range again. Pistons/o rings are cheap and easy to replace. I've done mine annually, under $10 a wheel and 15 minutes.

Bottom Line:
If you haven't the time or ability to do some trouble shooting, stick with mechanical disc brakes. If you want hydraulic, Hayes builds a reliable brake and the new Prime's will offer new adjustments.

Favorite Trail:   Ozark Trail system

Similar Products Used:   Juicy's, Elixer CR Mag's, Stroker Trail's, Formula R1's, Shimano XT/XTR, many older Hayes from the late 90's.

Bike Setup:   Jet 9/XO twisters, rear der/XTR centerlock rotors

Submitted by ajriding a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    strong
quick engagement
lever reach adjustment
don't have to take off grips to install
light

Weaknesses:    need longer levers to use with gripshift
but I guess that applies to all brands....

Bottom Line:
Great brakes, comes with ti hardware, pre-bled, easy to use.
The brakes always work. I have another pair of Stroker brakes, a few models down, but the same castings and hardware. They feel different, maybe I let air in the ti ones when I cut the lines shorter.
These have a little modulation, like what most riders seem to want, but I like the other brakes that have that on/off feel. I think if I re-bleed them I can get that.
They brakes can squeel after a long descent, but will stop after a few more miles of riding. They always work, squeel or not.
I run metallic pads and have gotten these brakes so hot that I could smell burning, but the power fade was very minimal and might not have been noticed had I not been using super light rotors.
(this was on a super steep trail that dropped 700 feet in a short distance with lots of need-to-stop turns)
I am very happy with the brakes. They are solid, reliable and have not given me any trouble.

Favorite Trail:   Squirrel Gap

Similar Products Used:   XTR, Avid

Bike Setup:   100mm full suspension, Giant Anthem, light weight.

Submitted by BurnNotice a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to install; pre-bled; lightweight; adjustable levers

Weaknesses:    Master cylinder position as installed and relates to horizon

Bottom Line:
I bought these on closeout and fact they were 2008 model brakes for a new build. Never built up a mtb but have plenty of roadies. I was nervous and a little hesitant since hydraulic brakes are finicky. But they were a breeze to install. The ride review and using them were very rewarding. They are very responsive and work like I want a brake to work. They have great modulation and stay lined up even after a rough ride. They are 6" version rotors and I may go with a 7" front rotor for better braking and less heat buildup on the downhills. But as far as the Gram system and fact I got a sweeeeet deal on front and rear to the tune of $220 total, I can't complain. No brake squeal or leaks in the system! I like them and the bottom line or recommendation is try them, they work!

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek/Greens Lick

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano m485's

Bike Setup:   Geeez, not again!

Submitted by panzer07 a Weekend Warrior from Fremont CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2010

Strengths:    light , carbon levers and modulation

Weaknesses:    not very strong and rear drags whenever it feels like - mostly when climbing - very anoying!

Bottom Line:
These brakes work ok and for the blowout sale at price point are a good buy but would never pay MRRP for them. Also with a 7' rotor on the front and 6' out back still does not feel very strong and fades on long downhills but they are pretty light and have good modulation - not a light switch like Avids.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy7, Magura Marta, XTR

Bike Setup:   Lynskey 29r hardtail , XTR drivetrain, Fox f29 100mm fork, King headset and bbracket, Hope hubs and Stans ztr 355 rims

Submitted by forkboy a Racer from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Dead stroke, bleeding, Bolts, feel

Bottom Line:
I bought these because they were light, cheap, and had good reviews. I don't understand why the reviews are so good.

First off - Bleeding. Hayes has a little video that makes bleeding these look like a 5 minute process. BS. First off, Pricepoint included the wrong bleed kit. Second, the correct bleed kit is a joke. I had to use a combination of Avid's syringes, Hayes fittings, and misc, clamps to get the bleed process set up. Hayes instructions leave a ton of air in the system. Use the Juicy directions..

Once I finally got all the air out of the system, I expected performance to be improved. Nope. There is close to 2" of dead stroke before the pistons engage. If you want the brakes to engage before the lever hits the bar, you have to adjust the lever pull all the way out.

If you want to use one-finger braking, you will have to move the levers in about 35mm inboard, or your middle finger will get in the way.. Had a couple exciting moments when I went to grab brake, but only pinched my fingers. With the combination of the huge amount of dead stroke, and having to move them so far inboard, they just don't feel right.

The MC bolts - they are slightly larger than 4mm. If you use a 4mm hex and are not careful, you will round them out.

They are light. They are half the weight of the LX discs that were on my SS before. They do stop the bike once they are bedded in.

Value is for superlight brakes under $250. Overall rating is for such poor performance at that high of an MSRP ($600!!)

Maybe Hayes will fix it with their new Prime system, but I wouldn't waste $220 on these Grams again.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Avid, Shimano, Formula

Submitted by fusedmaniac a Cross Country Rider from Whitby, Ontario

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Good modulation, lots of bite when your deep in the stroke. fairly light but there's lighter out there (then again for what I paid beggers cant be choosers).

Weaknesses:    none so far, I've only got 4 rides on them though. If they perform anything near as well as my stroker trails (and so far they have) then I cant see any future problems.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are great! Very similar feel to my Hayes Stroker Trails and I love those brakes. The Grams do have a lot of lever pull before you totally lock up the wheels (I believe this is due to the shape of the master cylinder) but, that gives them a very controllable feel and your modulation is not all within a few millimeters of lever pull. If your looking for a binary "On, off" feel to your brakes then these aren't for you, I'd check out some of Avids offerings if thats what your into. However if your looking for a lightweight brake with loads of power and no fade on those long downhill sections (and if your wallet is deep enough to pay full retail) then check out the Stroker Grams. If money is an issue or you just don't want to fork over almost 800 dollars for brakes then the Stroker Trail is probably a better brake for you.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Stroker Trail, Hayes 9, Avid Juicy 5.

Bike Setup:   Norco Fireball frame setup in a 1x9 configuration, Shimano Saint shifter, XT cranks, XTR rear der, E.13 LG1+ chain guide Sram PG990 cassette in mango orange and of course Hayes Stroker Grams.

Submitted by BunnV a Weekend Warrior from Sherman Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2009

Strengths:    Pre-bled at the factory. Very easy to install and set up. Very progressive feel at the lever. Great initial bite without being grabby. Easy to adjust lever position. Look nice. Light weight. Subtle graphics and no red (it seems like every manufacturer has to put red colored graphics on all their parts. My bike is orange. Orange and red clash).

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
My Hayes Nine's were the first disc brakes I ever owned. Previously I always used V Brakes. The Nines had good power and were reliable but I never liked the way the felt. Too much lever play before the brakes engaged, even when properly bled and with fresh pads. The Strokers have no such issues. From the moment I pull the lever back even a tiny amount the brakes respond. The harder I pull the stronger they bite. They feel like you would expect brakes to feel and not like an on/off switch. Plus, they knocked almost 200 grams of weight off my bike compared to the Nines. They look cool too.
I know Hayes has a bad rep recently because of products like the Nines but these Strokers should change peoples opinion of Hayes. They changed mine. The price was right too compared to Formula F1's. Today on the downhill section of Backbone trail (heading towards Palisades) I did a lot of braking. The Strokers did not pump up, over heat or squeal. Just strong consistent braking all the way down. I use 160mm rotors front and rear and weigh 160 pounds. My Mojo weighs 27.6 pounds. I highly recommend these brakes for trail riders similar to myself.

Favorite Trail:   Wendy in Aguora