Hayes Stroker Carbon Disc Brake System

4.12/5 (17 Reviews)

Hayes Stroker Carbon Disc Brakes 2010: Radial design, sculpted cast aluminum master-cylinder with integrated reservoir; carbon fiber lever blade with an indexed reach adjuster dial. Symmetrical, flip-flop lever design with removable bar clamp....

Submitted by Tyler Dunn

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, stopping power, light weight, carbon lever, adjustable, cheap to maintain, zero issues

Weaknesses:    a little squeaky when wet, but all brakes are

Bottom Line:
I have had these brakes since 2009. I have never had a single issue with them. I have put them through hell on all types of trails. Never had a leak, never had a problem stopping when i needed to. Even thought the lever is carbon, you cannot snap it. After clipping trees, losing the bike in rocky sections, the levers always held up strong. No matter how hard you pull back on that lever, it will give. Love the adjustable lever position as well. if you can find these brakes somewhere online, buy them. You will not regret it

Submitted by Vuco a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Great power and modulation
No fade on my typical ride (10km ascent, 10km descent, 15km to get to the trail and home)
Less arm fatigue than other brakes that I used (Formula RX, Magura Louise)

Weaknesses:    None for now. Had a few rides, but the brakes were bought used.

Bottom Line:
One of the best AM/trail brakes. Even stronger than Formula RX (noticed less finger fatigue after same descents on same rotor size) that I've ridden in the last 12 months.

Enough power and nice modulation, lever feel is always the same, no rubbing when using proper rotors (Hayes's).

Favorite Trail:   Medvednica, Sljeme

Similar Products Used:   Formula RX, Magura Louise, Shimano SLX M665, Code 5

Bike Setup:   150mm AM bike, AM/Enduro wheelset, Deore drivetrain and everything else

Submitted by bloody a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent stopping power, great looking, good lever adjustment, nice feel.

Weaknesses:    Came with bubble in the line and misaligned pads. I had to bleed and refill, now they work perfect!

Bottom Line:
Other than the old XT discs, these are by far the best brakes I've ever owned. I have the 7" discs and they have unparalleled stopping power, look great and are ready when I am to whip around a switchback or come to a screeching halt... minus the screeching. The old Avids had a terrible tendency to squeal when wet in the mud, these make a grating noise, but nothing I can't handle. They will whine when they're getting warmed up or need cleaning, but nothing new there. Easy pad changing will make them easy to keep up to speed and installation was a breeze. I'd recommend them!

Four chilis for a value rating since they are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Bridal/Crosstown

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT twin-piston, Avid Juicy 5, Juicy 7

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, Sram X9 2 x 10 drivetrain, Fox Vanilla RLC, Float RL rear, Crossmax XL wheelset, Thompson control.

Submitted by tscanley a Racer from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2011

Strengths:    Lots of Power, easy brake pad changing, adjustability, quality USA construction, durable, comfortable lever

Weaknesses:    a slight gurgling sound when engaged

Bottom Line:
After a full season racing as a CAT 1 XC rider, the Stroker Carbon was a great investment. I had been riding XT's for the last few years before upgrading to the Stroker Carbons. I had very few issues with the XT's, until I switched and realized what I was missing. The Stroker has a powerful and confidence inspiring feeling when engaged. I originally thought it had less modulation than the XT's, but after riding the Stroker for some time, I realized that the Hayes didn't have less modulation, they just had more power. The brakes will allow you to really push your handling skills on the trail.

I would advise on getting the organic pads to reduce braking noise. There is still a slight girgling sound, but it's really not an issue. The pads wear a bit quicker, but depending on the environment you ride in, they can last a full season or more.

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Ridge

Purchased At:   Milwaukee Bicycle Co

Similar Products Used:   shimano XT, Avid

Bike Setup:   Niner Air Carbon

Submitted by iusufachi a Cross Country Rider from Romania

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Looks great, good stopping power

Weaknesses:    Aluminum backing plates transmit heat to the braking fluid causing drag. Poor rubber bushings in the lever piston mechanism.

Bottom Line:
These brakes have an excellent price/value ratio. I don't know if there is on the market anything better for that price. They do have some problems that, I believe, are shared with other Hayes hydraulic brakes. The bushings in the lever piston mechanism are of poor quality and can cause problems like the lever not returning all the way on its own. To change the bushings you have to buy the whole mechanism and this is not really a bargain. Another problem is with the backing plates. To reduce weight they made them from aluminum instead of brass like on the Trail. Aluminum conducts heat more than brass causing the stock brake fluid to boil under heavy repeated braking and causing the disk to drag between the pads. This can be fixed by changing the brake fluid. You can put factory racing brake fluid (for cars), but with the same specifications. That brake fluid boils at a much higher temperature and eliminates this problem.
To increase braking power you can also replace the rotors with Shimano rotors, the ones with the aluminum core. These help with the heat transfer as well, the disc cooling quicker, allowing better braking with significantly reduced fade.
All in all, I am glad I bought these breaks. They look and feel great. If you want better brakes you have to pay more.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes MX-2, Stroker Trail

Bike Setup:   Merida Matts Pro, RockShox Reba, Mavic XM317, Shimano, Truvativ...

Submitted by J.J. a Cross Country Rider from Williamsburg, VA USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looking, light...that is about it.

Weaknesses:    Hard to bleed, lever feels soft. The rear brake still does not stop well. Had to send front to Hayes, getting ready to send off rear. Hayes said it was the hose for the front. Hope this fixes the rear.

Bottom Line:
I am buying the XT disc...

Favorite Trail:   Captin Jacks

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Hope Mono mini, Juicy 7

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by red devil a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:    Totally awesome. Really smooth feel but still strong. One finger braking not a problem. You can depend on these to stop you. Reach adjustment makes it very easy for that fine tuning when you feel like it. Carbon levers feel pretty nice too.

Weaknesses:    May be slightly 'grabby'. Can skid if you're not careful. Plus carbon levers are a bit silly, would've saved my money and got the Strokers with normal aluminium, but I got them off eBay for half the price, so can't really complain. Plus, they match my carbon bars :P

Bottom Line:
Really great brakes, so powerful and easy to pull. I'm loving the added stability I can have with 3 fingers on the bars instead of 2. While they have a little tendency to be over-enthusiastic, I prefer that control to not stopping fast enough. As I said above I wouldn't have gone for the carbon version if I was buying normally, but now I have them, I wouldn't go for the aluminium, as the carbon does actually have a noticeably good feel to it. Plus it shaves that extra bit off the weight if you're into that. And if not that, carbon fibre just looks cool :D. I would highyl recommend these brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Innerleithen

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Sole, Tekro mechanical something

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 3, with Marz AM3, XT front and rear, Syncros Carbon bars, Thomson X4 stem

Submitted by GoremanX a Weekend Warrior from Ile-Aux-Noix, QC

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    (complete front and rear 8" kit) Very easy to install, hoses are long enough, excellent brake modulation, pretty good stopping power, quieter than my old cable-actuated 6" system, carbon fiber levers look cool

Weaknesses:    Not a vast improvement over my old cable-actuated 6" system, 8" rotor did not fit on the rear of my 2006 Kona Hoss, tricky initial adjustment

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on these by sniping an eBay auction in the last 5 seconds. $135 for the complete front/rear 8" kit is an awesome price. It's a brand new 2009 kit, and it included everything I needed for the installation, even the proper caliper brackets for my IS front fork.

Unfortunately, the 8" rotor is too big to fit on the rear of my bike's frame. It rubs up against the chainstay. I've ordered a separate 7" rotor and caliper bracket for the rear.

Other than that, installation was a breeze. Until I get the 7" rotor, I'm using the old 6" rear rotor and caliper bracket with the new hydraulic caliper, and it seems to function as intended.

One thing to note, the Hayes rotor calls for a torque of 6.2nm for the 6 bolts. When I tried to torque it that high, the bolt stripped through the threads on my Shimano Deore hub. I tightened all the other ones to 5.5nm instead. The hoses are a tad too long, but nothing terrible. Unfortunately, shortening them means replacing the compression fitting and nut at the master cylinder, and then re-bleeding the system. That means I need to buy more parts if I want to shorten the hoses (compression fittings, nuts, bleeding kit, brake fluid). Some reviewers of other Stroker systems complained about the hydraulic hose popping out under hard braking. To them I say: "DON'T RE-USE THE COMPRESSION FITTING AND NUT WHEN YOU SHORTEN THE LINES!!!" They're a single-use item, re-using them is a bad idea. This is true in all plumbing.

Adjusting the brakes so I didn't have over an inch of free-throw on the levers was a bit annoying. I had to pull on the lever without any wheel installed, so that the brake pads can close against each other, and then wedge them open just barely enough so the rotor will fit between the pads with a little resistance. It took a few tries, and was especially annoying on the rear wheel.

Once adjusted properly, there's no drag on the rotor, the levers engage the pads almost right away, and modulation is perfect. I have complete control over how hard I'm braking, from barely slowing to maximum braking power, all within half the throw of the lever. This is much improved over my previous setup.

Maybe my front rotor needs a little more bedding in, but I wasn't overly impressed with the new braking power. After using my old cable-actuated 6" system for 3 years, I was expecting this new hydraulic 8" front disc to be able to flip me over the handlebars. The truth is, it's only somewhat more powerful than my old system. Definitely noticeable, but not the monstrous braking power I was hoping for.

It's worth pointing out that I kept my old system perfectly tuned on an almost daily basis, which may be why it worked so well to begin with. One of the main reasons I bought a hydraulic system is so I can stop adjusting everything to perfection every time I come home from a ride.

Some reviewers complained about "bubbling" noises while braking. I've noticed no such thing. Everything is completely silent. Also, I can't imagine the rotor vibrating, it's a pretty thick and stiff piece.

Based on the price I paid, I give this a solid 5 flaming chilis for value. If I'd paid the full MSRP (which is twice as much as I paid), I might've made it 4 flaming chilis.

As for the overall rating, I'll give it 4 flaming chilis for now due to the underwhelming improvement I noticed, even after bedding the rotors for over 30 stops.

Favorite Trail:   Island Line, Burlington, VT

Purchased At:   eBay, shipped from H

Similar Products Used:   2006 Shimano Deore cable-actuated with 6" rotors

Bike Setup:   2006 Kona Hoss, many changes since new, none relevant for this review

Submitted by t3biker a Weekend Warrior from London England

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    Light
Good modulation
Fair power
By far the best brake hayes have ever made

Weaknesses:    now superceeded bu the gram and ace brakes
the lever is not good for your fingers, avid placed the pivot the opposite way round (near the bar) much better
If you have massive hands this brake will be awesome for you!

Bottom Line:
Great if you have massive hands
Best hayes product!

Favorite Trail:   BKB

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Practically everything

Bike Setup:   These have been on a hardtail, xc bike and dh bike!

Submitted by deejaudible a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville TN

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Stops on a dime. One finger stopping is a new luxury for me that makes these brakes really nice. Levers are really nice.

Weaknesses:    When they get wet they make a sound that sounds like metal bubbling and is loud and very annoying.

Bottom Line:
I love these brakes. I think I can either change out the pads or the rotor to stop the noise and it should be all good.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   FountainCityPedaler

Submitted by jonnyd_963 a Weekend Warrior from Southampton

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight (weight claimed on Hayes website is accurate - now there's a rare thing..!), savage power, excellent modulation, no fade, bling levers

Weaknesses:    Very little lateral adjustment in caliper mounting. Not a particulatly positive feel to the lever (plenty of squish), a little fiddly to set up

Bottom Line:
As reported in the weaknesses - these are a little fiddly to set up. I had to pump the levers without rotors or spacers fitted to engage the pad wear adjustment (even when new) to reduce lever throw to reach the bite-point. Lever adjustment is useless when the lever could practically be pulled to the bar (particularly when using chunky lock-on style grips), needing to be set to maximum reach prior to the pad adjustment. Engaging reach adjustment is not an accurate process, so took some time to get right.

Admittedly, this could be due to running avid discs - chosen due to reduced weight (35g lighter overall), and 7mm increased diameter (185mm as opposed to 178mm for Hayes Stock). Avid discs are a touch narrower than the stock 'V' discs, and could have caused the setup issues.

Lateral caliper positioning adjustment is limited when compared with shimano systems, and I had to shim the mounting bracket (as with older IS systems) to get the rotor to run central & straight between the pads for even engagement & wear. Lever reach adjustment is useful for initial set-up once the pad engagement issues are sorted.

Performance-wise, the braking power is impressive, and the modulation is excellent - none of the classic Hayes on/off feel. Modulation improvements are probably at the cost of a positive lever feel, although with proper set-up the lever squish is minimised.

Sintered pads perform very well in the wet, are grabby but controllable. One-finger braking is sufficient to scrub speed, but there's plenty of stopping power on tap for emergency stops, supplied progressively to stop you skidding out.

Stroker Trails are better value if you are not too fussed about the weight (same system; slightly heavier due to the alloy lever, but not much) - but the carbons perform well for all-mountain use and on the trail-centre black run's.

Perfect for an Enduro style bike or XC racer; these are very versatile in application - will stand up to a little light DH use without the weight penalty of beefier systems.

Favorite Trail:   The Wall, Afan forest park

Similar Products Used:   Deore M555, LX M585, XTR M975, Hayes HFX-9's

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper, '08 XT f/mech & shifters, XTR Shadow carbon r/mech, Middleburn oilers on shifter cables, Hone Hollowtech II crankset, Mavic free-ride rims on Deore hubs, Thomson X4 elite stem / Masterpiece seatpost, Selle San Marco Aero Saddle, ABR Venture Carbon Bar / Kevlar Grips, Stroker Carbons on Avid rotors (185/160), Maxxis Swamp-Thing tyres with steel bead.

Submitted by FlippinSweet a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Looks great, easy bleed, awesome modulation. The fist thing I noticed is how easily they stop. No On/Off feeling with these brakes; one finger squeeze will accurately scrub just enough speed, while full-on panic stops stop on a dime without skidding out. These brakes actually helped my riding, they've seriously helped me flow my local trails better!

Weaknesses:    Sintered pads which come stock are a bit too grabby. I've found that these sintered pads really like to run hot. If you're not on the steeps a whole lot, get semi-metalic pads or downsize your rotor size (I'm running 8's F&R).
Also, unless your shaving weight, save the money and get the Trails. It's the same brake and caliper without the carbon lever; which is cool but hardly any more functional than the aluminum ones

Bottom Line:
I've been really holding out writing a review on these brakes because I wanted to truly let them bed in and give them a good beating. And a beating they've received!
Bottom line is there are better brakes out there if you want to pay the money but these brakes are GREAT for the price. Upper Whistler on a hot day no worries, no fade, no overheating, one finger modulation all day, no fatigue. I would honestly recommend these brakes as an alternative to some of the more expensive Formulas or Maguras.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Hayes NINES/Mags, Avid Juicy 5's 7's

Bike Setup:   Transition Bottlerocket, Marzocchi Roco tst-r, Marzocchi Z1 RC2 Bomber, Revolution 32's, Sram drivetrain, Truvativ, Raceface and Maxxis.
No Bling

Submitted by Orange-Goblin a Weekend Warrior from Devon, UK

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    Look nice, Bling Lever, Decent price, ok power. Lever reach useful at first.

Weaknesses:    Bizarre bubbling noise almost all of the time, play in the lever is pretty poor, lever reach adjust is pointless after first set-up, lever squish is too much. Not very positive lever feel.

Bottom Line:
These had definite improvements over my HFX9's, better power (Attributed mostly to 8" rotors over 6" rotors) better modulation. But the awful noise's they make, the squishy lever feel that has alot of play, and the slight fade mean that i have been disappointed in these brakes. I rarely ever give anything a bad review, but these were abit f an impulse buy for my SS as they were the only thing left to buy. They were well-priced at £160 for the pair ($320) and the reviews were few as they were new out. But i can't really recommend them that much. Maybe they're just not for me.
They work, for sure, and look nice. But noise and squish ruined them for me. These are more personal preferences and niggles, as they work pretty damn well, but i'm picky and hate the noise!!

Favorite Trail:   Porlock. Bedrock.

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 5, Hayes HFX9, Codes.

Bike Setup:   Intense SS, Totem Solo Air, DHX 5 Coil, XT, Stroker Carbons, Chris King H/Set, Chris King hubs with Mavic 729 Rims, Easton EA70 bars, Thomson X4 Stem and S/Post, DMR v12 Mags, High Rollers 60a.

Submitted by T_Charged306LX a Weekend Warrior from Somewhere Florida

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2008

Strengths:    great breaking power, look sick!! smooth as butter. Love Em

Weaknesses:    just some rubbing on rotor issue, no biggy though

Bottom Line:
These brakes stop great, i did have some mounting issues, squared those away though. LOOK SICK BRAKE GREAT.

Favorite Trail:   All of them