Hayes Stroker Ace Disc Brake System

4.5/5 (22 Reviews)
Weight : 440g MSRP : $204.99

The first ever lightweight, quad-piston brake from Hayes. An all new radial design helps strength and keepsThe size compact and light. Note: sold without rotor and adapter. Add a rotor, seperately, and Hayes adapters (if needed for your application)To make a complete Hayes brake system Lever stroke blends naturally and ergonomically with riders hands Insulated caliper pistons control fluidTemperature for smooth and consistent brake engagement Adjustable caliper hose r

Submitted by vk45de a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2013

Strengths:    - Powerful but controllable
- A lot cheaper than alternative 4 piston brake systems
- Bigger pistons (18mm) than other 4 piston brakes
- Solid lever feel
- Flipflop lever
- Easy to bleed (I used a needle n syringe + tubing to catch at lever)

Weaknesses:    - Lever not as comfortable as old Hfx levers
- Comes with nothing more than levers, calipers, and pads
- M/C doesn't have hole at the end so you can't poke at a stuck piston
- As with 4 piston systems, the 4 pistons all have a mind of their own - some are more apt to move than others

Bottom Line:
Good brake for the price and will probably prove reliable as well but not as good value as the old Hfx-mag.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Hfx comp, Grimeca system 11, Avid bb5, Tektro IOX

Bike Setup:   99 Specialized FSR enduro sport

Submitted by t-bone! a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2013

Strengths:    Super power brakes. The bike will stop and you will keep flying forward. Modulation is phenom.

Weaknesses:    The pads are difficult to change cause the pistons pop out and are hard to put back in. Meh, not a big deal though.

Bottom Line:
Love these brakes. Buy'em and quit fricker'n with other brakes. You won't regret it!

Favorite Trail:   Warm Springs Ridge

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Price point

Bike Setup:   RM slayer DHX 5.0 with Magura Wotan. 1x9. Chris king hubs, Stan's flow rims, Maxxis Minion tires.

Submitted by Jagtech360 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    Looks tough! That's it!!

Weaknesses:    Horrible clamping power especially the rear! Ever since I purchased these, used the rear just doesn't do a good job. I had it equipped with a 180mm front and 160 rear, on a GT Force 1.0 all mountain setup. I had to rebuild the rear due to a leaking piston seal. Still doesn't stop very well even with sintered metallic or semi metallic, and definitely not organic. I've done several fluid changes and tried several different pads finally upgraded to a 180 mm on the rear I'm hopes of better clamping.

Bottom Line:
Surprisingly poor clamping force, especially from the rear. For a 4-piston setup this is Not what I suspected.

Duration Product Used:   30+ rides

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Avid juicy 7, Hayes nine

Bike Setup:   Gt force 1.0, fox 32 Talas150mm F & RP23 150mm R, Stroker ace brakes 180mm & 180mm.  3x9 SRAM X9 with Race Face Dues crankset.

Submitted by Kolbi McBroom

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    I got these for a hell of a steal, 150 shipped for the whole system. They work wonderfully. Great feel and modulation, with a ton of power in reserve. Fairly lightweight for such a solid caliper. Love the levers feel and adjustability too.

Weaknesses:    They need to be adjusted several times throughout a ride due to the wear to the metal on the mounts from where the previous owner had tightened them down at. Having a difficult time getting the rotors to be centered in the caliper. I do believe htey need to be bled though.

Bottom Line:
Sick product for the price I got it at. The more power the better. Quads FTW.

Submitted by Zero17812003 a Weekend Warrior from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2011

Strengths:    Great modulation, TONS of stopping power, Easy Setup

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none.

Bottom Line:
I started out with the Avid BB5 setup on my bike (stock setup). Started bombing down hills, and quickly realized I needed an upgrade. Did a lot of research, bought these brakes and never looked back. By far the best brakes I have ever used. Absolutely lived up to all other reviews. I had these brakes on my bike in about half an hour. Mounting hardware is fantastic. Highly recommended for any application that requires heavy, no nonsense braking. Great for downhill.

Favorite Trail:   West Hartford Reservoir

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   V brakes, Avid BB5, Hayes MX4, Avid Juicys

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

Submitted by Scotchman a Downhiller from Daegu

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Powerful

Weaknesses:    Piston seals leak

Bottom Line:
Fine brakes. Survived the Shore, Whistler etc but the piston seals went soon after, lubricating my disks for me.

Similar Products Used:   HFX9 BB7 Grimeca XT

Bike Setup:   Bottlerocket Fox Van 160

Submitted by konarider234 a Downhiller from Vermont

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing Stopping power, super adjustable. Way better than the stroker rydes. I use it for long, tech. decents and rock gardens. very good brake best I ever used, Highly reccomended.

Weaknesses:    None at all, they are great brakes

Bottom Line:
looking for a good FR/DH brake? these are the ones for you!

Favorite Trail:   Killington DH and my home trails

Purchased At:   Killington bike shop

Similar Products Used:   stroker ryde avid elixer

Bike Setup:   09 Kona Stinky Six, mostly stock exept the brakes and grips and D.O.P.E. system.

Submitted by Norland Cycles a Downhiller from Viña del Mar, Chile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Strengths:    Power, easy lever adjustment, caliper looking

Weaknesses:    They are Hayes, Weight, Modulation, Lack of power modulation adjustment, they become too noisy at long rides, availability of parts in Chile, bit too pricy for what it is

Bottom Line:
A buddy borrow me his bike for one day, and this brakes gave me a nice surprise, they are a big technological Jump from the Mag HD and the El Camino that Hayes offered in previous years, but they are still Hayes with all vices of that brand we everybody know. If they would spend more time as they do with the industrial line, would be another story, but this people is still not taking care of important aspects, such as weight, that is not comparable to shimano brakes, Formula the one at 307 grams and even the entry level Formula RX at 354 g.
For the price U pay on the Ace U can get much better brakes.
The availability of spares is a pin on the "ace" (a**) My friend spent weeks waiting for the arrival of some spares from CRC because are simply not, or not all available in Chile.
I would not buy them, I would buy Shimano Saint, SLX, Formula RX, or even save few bucks more to buy the Formula The One that well worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   La Dormida

Purchased At:   Friend Borrowed me h

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Saint, Formula The One 2011, Formula RX 2011, Hayes Mag HD

Bike Setup:   Norland Cycles Stealth Rider Prototype, Kowa 200 GF Fork, Elka stage 5 shock with DSP Ti spring, Mavic Deemax (old school) Formula the one 2011, Race Face and Sram components.

Submitted by ace75 a Weekend Warrior from LA, CA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2010

Strengths:    grab really well, easy to adjust the reach

Weaknesses:    lot of brake lever travel before initial bite

Bottom Line:
Originally I had the stroker rydes on my bike (7" front/6" rear) and wanted better braking. I thought larger rotors would be the fix so I bought 8" for front and rear. I noticed a slight improvement but it wasn't as much as I had expected. I decided to upgrade the Rydes to the Ace's and was shocked with the improvement. I find myself able to use quick stabs(later braking) to control speed and using the rears more than before to compensate with how well the fronts grab. In Hindsight, I could have probably got away with just changing the front brakes to aces and leaving everything else alone including the stock rotors.
I find myself riding much faster and more aggressive because of the performance and confidence these brake bring.

Favorite Trail:   La Tuna Canyon

Purchased At:   aebike.com

Similar Products Used:   stroker ryde, hfx-9

Bike Setup:   2008 trance x2

Submitted by pboxxer a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    -strong bite
-no fade
-most stopping power out of any brakes ive ever ridden
-adjustable lever position
-will make any bike do endos (even a 44lb dh bike)

Weaknesses:    -can be tricky to set up

Bottom Line:
These brakes are the best. Hands down. To be able to get a set for about $300, and have this amount of stopping power is amazing. I was a little worried switching to Hayes, being an Avid fan since I started riding, but these brakes gone above and beyond my expectations. They have enormous stopping power, but even after a ton of abuse (and some occasional smoke) they never faded. I will be sticking with these and recommending them to everyone.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Downhill

Similar Products Used:   avid elixirs, avid codes

Bike Setup:   Trek Session

Submitted by h8s2pdl a Downhiller from Roanoke VA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Strengths:    Very dependable and maintenance free. Set and forget. Nice lever adjustments. Extremely powerfull. Decent modulation. Great price. 8" Rotors.

Weaknesses:    Not as many lever adjustments as Avid Code, but WAY more dependable and WAY less maintenance than Code, so no worries. Kina hard to bleed...but since they RARELY need to be blead...that's NBD as well. They made A LOT of noise the first few rides, but they are silent now. Don't modulate quite as well as codes...more of an "on/off" feel...but again...they are built WAY better and are well worth the trade-off.

Bottom Line:
These brakes totally ROCK!! They are not as sexy as Avid Code, because they lack some of the adjustments, and are not quite as buttery smooth, but they are WAY more dependable and consistent and cheaper!!!

I used Avid Codes for 2.5 seasons. When the stars were alligned just right...they were awesome...but they needed CONSTANT bleeding...and would fade at times...then the front lever just died and SRAM wouldn't fix it or replace it...don't get me started on SRAM CS it sux...nuff said...

The Strokers are stronger and way better value. Don't pull'em too hard or they will shoot you over the bars...for xc they are prolly over-kill..but for ripping DH that's exactly what you want...buy'em...stay away from Avid...

Favorite Trail:   Pro DH to Chainsmoke - Snowshoe WV

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9's Avid Codes Avid Juicy 3

Bike Setup:   2008 Iron Horse Sunday, 2007 Fox 40 RC2, Rockshox Vivid, SRAM transimission, FSA cranks, Azonic Outlaw wheels, Hayes Stroker Ace brakes

Submitted by BIGHaroHucker a Downhiller from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2010

Strengths:    2010 model in white is Gorgeous. Super, super strong. Great modulation and requires very light input to get major stopping power. Night and day better than my HFX9HD brakes that I have run for the past few years. Levers are very comfortable. I have a feeling that they will stay much cooler on long downhill runs than any other brakes I have used, just because I get more stopping power for less input and then can release the brakes again quickly to allow them to cool. Love the tool-free adjustable reach. This was always a complaint before due to stripping small allen screws or not having good access.

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
So far this is a great product. It is better and more powerful than anything I have ever used. The value is great compared to any of the other top models. I am going to use these brakes for a long time, they are just so sweet I never want to give them up.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Sole, Hayes HFX9 MAG HD

Bike Setup:   2007 Haro X7, 2006 Marzocchi 888RC, 2009 Fox DHX 5.0, SDG I-beam (I-SKY), 2010 Hayes Stroker Ace

Submitted by Garasaki a Weekend Warrior from Iowa

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Strengths:    Great Modulation, plenty of power, light, really easy installation.

Weaknesses:    Erm. They sort of feel a bit like plastic rather then metal when held in the hand. So I put em on the bike and basically forgot about that.

Bottom Line:
Well I went ahead and got some of the 09's (Stroker Ace's) for my bike. Just for the front brake. My main motivation was to increase the modulation of my front brake. My Avid BB7's had plenty of power, but it seemed like they lever only did 2 things - not slow the bike down or bring it to a complete stop. I was not able to creep down techy steep downhills by using the front brake modulation, as I was used to doing on my KTM dirtbike (I am just getting back into moutain biking after a 12 year layoff where I rode a lot of dirtbikes, motocross, enduro's, harescrambles, etc).

I didn't want to spend the extra 20 bucks for the 8" rotor adaptor, so I just left the existing 6" rotor I have on the bike and bolted these on in place of my Avid BB7s.

First impressions, on installation were:

Extremely light. Lever setup is nice, awesome adjustability. Well thought out brakes - the have a really nice "viewport" so you can very quickly evaluate pad life left. They look/feel a bit "plasticy" where I was expected something more like bullit aluminum. There was LOTS of clearance between the pads and rotor, and subsequently there was absolutely NO rub or squeak at all.

Installation was really quick and painless. Maybe 10 minutes tops, including removal of old brakes (and grips etc).

Driveway impression was that modulation was greatly increased.

Took em out to the trail yesterday. The access road for the trails is a very loose gravel fireroad. It starts with a very long climb (figures, right?? ). Once I got to the top, I headed back down the other side of the hill to get the loop I wanted to ride. Remember this is very loose gravel - the sort of thing that made me extremely uncomfortable with my BB7's - lots of power and lightswitch modulation.

Riding with the Stroker Aces was like I had a totally different bike. Incredibly linear modulation, I played with it all the way down the hill. I had complete control over the speed of the bike and never came close to losing traction. The range of the lever seemed huge. It really settled the whole bike down - the transition of the fork into the stroke during braking, which had been a bit sudden and violent before, was now smooth as butter.

As I reached the loop I wanted to ride, I got to test the power for the first time. Absolutely effortless stop using front brakes only on the loose gravel. I loved it.

On the trail, I really liked the brakes. The lever has a long throw, and works great for me - I like to keep a finger on the lever at all times and that's exactly what this setup wants. I rode a couple of the black diamond trails for the first time (since the last time I was into mountain biking, 12 years ago). The brakes gave me a tremendous amount of confidence. Stopping in the deep chop at the end of long downhill runs was thoughtless. No effort required.

Super techy drop offs were a treat. I could use the brakes to stop the bike at the top of a section to evaluate my line. Then EASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE into the section by slowly letting off the front brake, in complete control. This was not possible with my on or off Avid BB7's. If I attacked these sections agressively, I would bomb into switchbacks at the bottom with lots of energy (speed and momentum) and the brakes did an awesome job of keeping me directly where I wanted to be. Stopping power was exactly what I need, exactly when I needed, exactly how much I needed, and it engaged incredibly smoooooooooooooooooooooth. I didn't even need to think about it, nor wonder if I could get stopped in time. It just happened!

I was hesitant to buy these brakes, even at the price of 120 bucks (which I perceived as a bargin). I payed 400 dollars for my 8 year old used bike that these went on. This was a major investment.

I am definately very happy I went with these. They really make the bike feel like a totally different bike. Not only did they meet my expectations, they totally exceeded them. I had no idea they would transform the feel of the bike they way they did.

I would strongly recommend the Stroker Aces!!

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB7s.

Bike Setup:   2002 Kona Bear, Marzochhi EXC fork.

Submitted by SteveR a Downhiller from St. Albert, AB

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2010

Strengths:    Preview only:

Bottom Line:
This is only a preview/first impression.

Easy fitting. The calipers align easily with no rotor rub. The MC/lever assembly is a nice split clamp for easy install, and the assembly even fits between the headtube and stanction (on a dual-crown fork) which is nice that you don't have to remove the bar/stem/top crown to install the brake.

Tool Free reach adjust seems to work nicely. Detents make for clearly defined "clicked" reach adjustments.

The lever feels really comfortable for one-finger braking. There is a little bit of vertical play in the lever, but no horizontal play, so lever does feel smooth and instant when pulling the lever

Master Cylinder: The top cap of the MC housing sits vertically on the side of the housing. This does cause a little bit of interference with "grip shift" shifters, so the brakes have to be mounted a couple mils away from the shifter. Also, if you needed to remove the cap to service the brake, you'd have to remove the brake from the handlebars in order to turn the MC assembly 90 degrees to keep the cap facing up.

Caliper: The caliper is designed to be very stiff. There is no noticible flexing or wiggling of the caliper when applying the brakes.

Esthetics: Each to his own, but personally, I think these brakes look bad ass. The design of the caliper assembly has angular lines that make it look like a stealth bomber, and the ano piston caps ad some sharp looking "bling". The graphics have an aviator-style to them, again, adding to the "stealth bomber" look.

The brakes included one bleed bottle, with hose and fittings. Not included thought were fittings to adjust the hose lengths. I thought this was a bit cheesy, since you almost always need to adjust the hose lengths. For my purposes, I'll just leave 'em a bit long, since I tend to crash and damage hoses around the lever, so I can just cut out the damaged section and "shorten" the hoses later.

As noted this is just a preview. I haven't had a chance to rip them up yet. However, with these brakes being on-sale by many online retailers, if they perform anywhere close to what the other reviews had to say about them, then they would represent excellent value for money. I paid about $140 US per end, with rotor, at pricepoint, and I am very excited to get out on these, as they really seem like they're going to be my favorite brake so far. I just hope that in the long-term that they are more durable/reliable than Hayes ealier offerings.

Favorite Trail:   Blaster/Pioneer/Claimjumper @KKH