Hayes Sole Hydraulic Disc Brake System

• Comfort lever blade
  • Mini single piston caliper

Submitted by Antony aiken

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    I suppose they look ok.

Weaknesses:    These are deadly. Why Hayes hasn't done a full world wide recall is insane.
I've had these in my shed for about 8months. I've just fitted them to an azonic ds1 that I've had lying about...... One day. They lasted one day before I shot the bleed plug across the garage and had brake fluid running down the stations of my fox's.

Pissed off isn't even close to how I feel. I am monumentally angry at Hayes. How did they not do a product test?
Who designed them?
Who signed these off as fit for purpose?

Whomever it was needs to be sued for endangering thousands of lives by producing safety equipment that actually endangers life.

I will never buy Hayes ever again.
Hope m4's now adorn my bike and they are superior in every single possible way.

Bottom Line:
Take them off your bike. Put them in an envelope with an engineers report detailing the design failures. And a health and safety risk assessment of these "brakes" and post it to Hayes. Then send a copy of the reports to their legal team.

Submitted by swamploop

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2014

Strengths:    They showed me how bad a break could be and what not to look for in a hydraulic disk break system.

Weaknesses:    The plug that is simply a rubber cork shoved into the bleed valve hole. WTF!!!!!!!! This is a system that generates pressure! What engineer would see this as a safe system????!!!! .... Screams like a banshee. THEY WILL KILL YOU LIKE ONE TOO!

Bottom Line:
Old product but looks like they are still popping up on used bikes so I will add a reveiw that I should of added long ago.

These breaks came stock on my 07 trek 6500. I Thought they where great. My first real bike from a LBS and the latest greatest in breaking at the time. Hayes how could I go wrong? Then one day a year or so after I bought the bike I was on a long bike ride with a new girl. She was a noob rider so I gave her some tips right before we hit a long techy down hill section. (Abandoned over grown logging road. Nothing but large rock left do to wash out. ) So I go first and try to show her a line to take. When suddenly my rear break fails as I try to whip my tail. My line is off and I am tumbling over some nasty sheet hardtails should never try to go over. I see fluid spewing from my rear break handle as I now ham fist both in a attempt to stop. The bike is bucking like a bronco. The fine line of too much front and not enough is hard to tell. But I am headed straight to a massive boulder. We are out in the middle of nowhere and there is no way this girl will know what to do with me if I hit hard. I grab full front break just as I am about to hit the boulder and the tail of my bike starts to eject me into the wall of stone. Some how by the grace of god I find a way not to go face first into it. This all do to a rubber plug shooting out. If you have these on your bike take them off now! Or tap the hole and put a set screw in there. I replaced these soles with elixers after that ride and have had no issues in the 7 years since. That girl now my wife is still freaked out from what she saw that day. I tell her she has nothing to worry about she has shimano breaks and I tossed those soles in the bin long ago and there is no way they can hurt anyone any more.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Duration Product Used:   1 year (too long)

Similar Products Used:   Juicy seven
Elixir R

Bike Setup:   Stock 2006 Remedy 66 with bash guard and dropper post and shorter FSA stem
Stock 2007 Trek 6500 EXCEPT THESE POS BREAKS!

Submitted by Zergenator

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    very adjustable for low budget brakes. good power the odd time they do work

Weaknesses:    fade very fast. ugly (in my opinion)

Bottom Line:
Got these on my giant ac. back brake on 180mm rotor works every time of asking. Front (on 203mm)is just a joke bled it myself and it worked for a couple of hours, then got it overhauled by my local shop new hose, olives, pads,cleaned etc.. again brake failed in no time at all. Dangerous to say the least.

Submitted by Darryl

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    They look good.

Weaknesses:    They fail.

Bottom Line:
I have had these brakes on my Cannondale for about 6 years. They are regularly serviced, bled properly.
The other day I went on a downhill ride, and whilst pumping the brakes they each failed.
The back brake failed completely, without any result when I pulled the lever to the bars.
The front brake mostly failed, although there was a little left in it, enough that I could not career off a cliff with my foot dragging on the track.
Not sure what hayes did but they stuffed these up... and on a high spec bike I didn't expect shoddly stuff. I'll never buy Hayes again.

Submitted by rufio a All Mountain Rider from Occoquan, VA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Strengths:    Looks: I think they look great. They look like a hydraulic brake should, lever, lever body, hose an caliper. That's what it's all about. Bleeding is easy. All I do is hook up the bleed bottle full of brake juice onto the bleed nipple on the caliper and I squeeze the bottle, then I pull the plug on top until all the bubbles and old brake juice comes out and I cap it off. Then I ride it, done. Adjustable pads and completely re-buildable. The adjustable pad things on the sides of the calipers work very well. It's nice to be able to adjust the pads if the feel too soft or too tight or the pad is rubbing on one side.

Weaknesses:    They don't make them any more. I understand that dual piston is the new thing, but these have a special place in my heart, and on my bike, because I'm still banging these out.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are some of the best brakes I have ever ridden. You can adjust the pads by sticking an allen key in these adjuster places on the outside of the caliper, brake pads are inexpensive and they are strong. I threw on some DangerBoy levers as upgrades and they really increased the power by decreasing lever flex. Dude, when I need to get it in on my bike and I don't want to worry about something going wrong with my brakes this is where it's at. These have really made my past few years on the bike because they are so good. I know they don't make these anymore, so this is more of a nostalgia post.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes HFX 9s, Hayes Strokers. The closest product to this is probably something like the BB7, which I love. The Sole is a single piston system and the BB7 only moves one pad so, It is more like that, but with more stopping powers.

Bike Setup:   Currently...Surly Karate Monkey Single Speed of Destiny.

Submitted by Beasthead741 a Racer from Mammoth lakes, CA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    They look like they work, and they actually did for a moderate ride.

Weaknesses:    Won't stop when you need it to, a pain to bleed, CAN NOT single finger bake which when racing is really important for me.

Bottom Line:
I had these brakes on my old downhill bike and i thought they were fine untill i would actually go to the trails and ride hard...or try to ride hard, cause you can not get going to a nice speed on a double diamond trail and be safe or you will hit a tree, blow a corner, die, ETC.now that im racing sport class i can not imagin having soles on my bike and the shimano saints i use now are the best brakes ive ever used and will stop me when ever i need. DONT BUY SOLES

Favorite Trail:   All single and double black diamonds

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   dragging your feet... no FOOT.. on the ground

Bike Setup:   Giant Glory with/ fox 40s, shimano saints now

Submitted by Ross K a Weekend Warrior from Melrose, Scottish Borders

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
*** THESE BRAKES ARE LETHAL!! ***

Out for a ride with my wife this week on her Specialized Hardrock equipped with Hayes So1e, riding back into the carpark, both her front and rear brakes failedb suddenly and simultaneously, spewing fluid. No prior warning, thank God she was travelling slowly, I get a cold sweat to think of earlier times they might've failed. How has Hayes not been sued yet?

Submitted by WILLVG a Downhiller from england

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Strengths:    good for a ride to the shops but on the way back they will try an kill ya

Weaknesses:    brakes fade EXTREMELY quick,

Bottom Line:
terrible dissapointment from the guys who invented the frikkin disk brake, all other products from hayes are brilliant, i use the mx4s on my ike and never let me down. if your thinking of uprading to disks or upgradin to hydraulics DO NOT BUY HAYES SO1E!!!!

Favorite Trail:   dronfield wood

Purchased At:   freind bought with b

Similar Products Used:   hayes mx4, avid juicy, avid bb7

Bike Setup:   07 sarecen instinct

Submitted by afroman a Downhiller from Edinburgh UK

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    i only use rear caliper but there are two allan key slots so u can put the pads closer to the brake disk so that the brake requires less pulling on the handle

Weaknesses:    brakes lose tension.........Quickly

Bottom Line:
with regular up keep ie weekly tensioning wih an allan key they are good but if not it will turn in to a death grip on a downhill speed run or any down hill in truth i acctually rear ended a car almost on the route to the local hils for a wee runabout which ended up in me just stopping in time and my front tire just kissed the back bumper of a sweet range rover u sould of heard the obbsenites cursed at me from the driver but the came no where near to what i was screaming at the brakes. some my rating is only valid if u treat ur brakes like babys and give them lots of tlc

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   "friends gift"

Similar Products Used:   shimanos which i sadly chucked when my friend gave me these as a gift :(

Bike Setup:   specialized hardrock sport saint manitou 130mm shocks (my baby)

Submitted by chumleywarner a Weekend Warrior from Wiltshire

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    ?

Weaknesses:    Brake fade downhill on a one in five heading towards a stone wall.

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike second hand two weeks ago so just getting a feel for it; bike's great for XC but had a frightening afternoon today when I thought I might taste the drystone wall I intended to ride past. Of more concern are the reviews!!
Thinking of replacing ASAP!

Favorite Trail:   Freshford

Purchased At:   Bristol

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Teocali Comp

Submitted by thunder_chunky a Cross Country Rider from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Strengths:    I am a bit of a newbie but they have always stopped me and never had a problem, just needing to change the pads now after 4 years and I rode this bike to and from work everyday and took it out on the weekends and I am 235lbs

Weaknesses:    none that I can see other than people just don't like it

Bottom Line:
I certainly don't have any problem riding with these brakes and they have stopped me no matter what. great system if you ask me.

Purchased At:   McPhail's

Bike Setup:   06 Kona Scrap

Submitted by UkuleleKev a Racer from Coventry, UK

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    Work well for first week

Weaknesses:    They will try to kill you for the rest of the time

Bottom Line:
These things are lethal, if you have a bike with these brakes on, get rid of them immediately or one day, they will spontaneously explode Brake Fluid, spewing it all over your hands whilst careering into a main road.

Yes, i manages to scoot through the traffic in Action movie style :).

Purchased At:   Coventry Cycle Centr