Hayes Prime Pro Disc Brake System

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

It’s here. And it’sThe first of its kind. PRIME hydraulic discbrakes feature industry-firstTechnologies and offer more power, newcomponents and a better ride. PRIME’sTool-free reach and contactadjustment, improved brakingTorque and feel and outstanding ergonomicsare just a few of its many attributes. Plus, its ground-breaking,high-flow reservoir venting system has never been seen before. Hayes calipers useThe 74mm mounting standard. Adapters are needed for IS frame/forks. Sold

Submitted by getoutnride a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2013

Strengths:    Easy adjustments, power modulator, good stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Have to bleed them consonantly.

Bottom Line:
I love these brakes. Easy to adjust them to your hand. Good feel and love that I can modulate the stopping power. I have had to bleed them twice a season. Two times to many if you ask me. Maybe there is bad seal somewhere in both the front and rear, never have had to bleed my Hayes Strokers. Luckily I have a shop that I can do this in, but I would rather not. Other than that they are great brakes.

Duration Product Used:   2 yrs

Submitted by SpiderTaxi

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2013

Strengths:    Adjustable without tools, modulation, levers are perfectly shaped, stopping power is right on

Weaknesses:    I can't say this is a weakness, but riding fat bikes in the snow if they get wet they honk (which I like anyway)

Bottom Line:
I am running Prime Pros on all five of my bikes including my Fatbike. I purchased the first pair for my Intense 5.5 and the grin I got while riding them was pure joy-joy. The first ride is all about adjustment and pumping them in was really was impressed enough to outfit my other bikes. What I really like is when wearing bigger winter gloves, I can easily adjust the lever distance without tools.

Submitted by 3djock

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2013

Strengths:    I could not pass up a deal for $105 a piece at pricepoint.com,I am sure glad I got them well worth it.
Modulation and stopping power are excellent, I have used XT,Saints and other Hayes but these are by far best I have used. It definitely makes you ride faster with better control. They know how to make brakes and they have been at it a long time.

Weaknesses:    Decals okay on the levers but tend to ware off

Bottom Line:
I don't understand where http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-hayes-prime-pro-brake-12-45957 is coming from. Real world test by people not machines gets it with me and they are totally off on that one. Get them if you can..

Submitted by endurofanatic a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2012

Strengths:    Power, modulation, adaptability, look, feel, single finger braking, no fading
Hayes Customer support

Weaknesses:    Needed a bleed wright out of the box (but this is so easy it isn't a real issue).
Is sensitive to proper braking in, but then again, aren't they all

Bottom Line:
Bought a set on actionsports.de for a mere 230euro's so no complaints there ;-)
First look out of the box you notice the excellent finish. Mounting them is very straight forward and simple.
Being a (very) heavy rider (260lbs) I really am demanding on my brakes, especially in long and steep descents. I use these brakes on my 29'er with 180mm rotors front and 160mm rear. Till now, these are the first brakes without fading when going down a very steep technical descent nearby. Furthermore, it's single finger braking all the way because of the superior power en great modulation. Bite point is adjustable with the poppet cam and not like some others, you feel the slightest change. Also, because of the power and modulation I think these brakes would do very well on an enduro/DH bike.
Bottom line, couldn't be more happier with these brakes and recommend them strongly. Hayes has really stepped up on this one. And did I already mention the superior Hayes customer care ? Ask a question, receive an answer within a couple of hours, and that is really impressing.

Favorite Trail:   Luxemburg - Ardennes - Alpes

Purchased At:   www.actionsports.de

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT and XTR (2010, 2011 and 2012), Formula RX, Hayes Stroker ryde, Avid Code, Magura Louise FR, Magura Louise BAT

Bike Setup:   Cube LTD SL 29, fox 32rl, full xt (except for the brakes ;-) )

Submitted by g1701gst a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Power
Modulation
Adjustable
Egonomics, single finger braking
Straight forward Setup
Easy to bleed and self service the caliper
Hayes customer service

Weaknesses:    I wish they made a carbon lever available, because that would be sexy.

Bottom Line:
I been riding my Prime Pros hard for a year now and I am still very happy with them. They started to make noise and lose power about a month ago, so I bleed them and they feel like new again and are back to being silent. I had some problems with the hayes bleed kit but it was all user error and my first time bleeding brakes. My second try went much better when I used my formula bleed kit but I am sure I could do it properly with the hayes kit now too.

I ride lots of DH, AM, bike parks and Moab. Never once have I worried about stopping power or control. I love the way these feel and prefer them over the Stroker Aces, Formula RX and Shimano XTs on my other bikes.

Durability had been good. I have had quite a few crashes and know these brakes can take some hits. I did get a little play at the pivot bolt for the lever after one crash. When I went to tighten the bolt it snapped. I called hayes up and they sent me out a new bushing and bolt right away for free, no questions asked. Fixed it right up. I have only use the T103 Pads that came with my brakes, they have been long lasting and quiet. They worked great with V8 rotors and Brake Authority S3 floating rotors.

Reach adjust works well, easy with gloves. Poppet CAM is neat and does work well. I like my brake to grab as soon as I pull my lever so I leave set on short stroke(pointed forward). I does give a large range of feels for your preference. It is set and forget adjustment. The addition of crosshair alignment to the caliper looks stupid easy to setup

Very happy with my purchase, I would buy again for my next bike and recommend it to anyone for DH racing to casual trail riding. Also the price is excellent. Glad I didn't by some other over priced brake.

Favorite Trail:   RainMaker @ Trestle

Purchased At:   Hookit

Similar Products Used:   Stroker Trail, Stroker Aces, Shimano SLX, XT, Formula RX, Avid CR, Avid Code

Bike Setup:   2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Very adjustable, east acces to adjustments, great modulation, insane stopping power, build quality, looks.

Weaknesses:    Ya right!

Bottom Line:
If you Have a bike Get these!

Favorite Trail:   The Kamikaze Mammoth Mountain

Purchased At:   Bikebling.com

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Stroker Ace

Bike Setup:   Demo 8 II

Submitted by boonecounty

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Got these brakes on a deal and have never looked back. My girlfriends Avid Elixirs are having tons of problems, same with a friend who has shimano XT's. I installed these brakes myself and really did follow Hayes suggestion of 50+ complete stops to sinter the pads. After that I have taken them out on the trail and ripped without hesitation. They are a huge improvement on my old brakes and really provide the stopping power I need on a big travel 29er. I have only had one squeak out of them. Most of the time they are super strong, and super quiet. The modulation is perfect and the easy adjustments are fantastic.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Get these breaks, super happy with their performance.

Submitted by truthBtold

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Weaknesses:    None of yet. Maybe they are a tad on the heavier side.

Bottom Line:
Got these for an aggresive AM build. They have been great. Spent the weekend in Ashalnd which really put them through their paces. Lots of prolonged heavy braking DH runs. Brakes didnt over heat and didnt lose any stopping power. Plus they are super easy to adjust on the fly. Modulation is great, and again easily adjusted along with lever reach etc. If you are considering purchasing these stop considering and just buy them. You will not regret it.

Submitted by trent.brown a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2011

Strengths:    POWER, Modulation, poppet cam, tool free reach adjust,

Weaknesses:    noisy when wet

Bottom Line:
For XC riding these are very powerful and haven't faded once on me...the poppet cam really works and I find myself using it quite frequently along with the reach adjust. I've got about 400 miles on them and haven't had any issues. Great set of brakes, good job Hayes!

Favorite Trail:   Tanasi, TN