Hayes HFX Mag XC Disc Brake System

3.82/5 (11 Reviews)

-Two piece master cylinder allows lever to be remonved without removing shifters and grips
-Sintered metallic all-weather pad compound
-V6 Rotor
-Black Kevlar hose
-Open back caliper for easier adjustment and cooler running system

Submitted by vk45de a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2013

Strengths:    Maintenance-free, power, reliability, drag-free, easy adjustment, easy bleeding, cheap, long pad wear, ergonomic lever

Weaknesses:    Pad and brake tract don't really line up. Noise (Sintered-Met)

Bottom Line:
I've had this since like 2002 and it's been performing as good as new. About the most comfortable lever shape I've ever had. I've left this brake like in the corner for years on end and when I take it out, it's as ready to throw me over the handlebars as ever - w/o dragging on the rotors. I've recently bought a pair of Stroker Aces but decided these were just as good so I sold the Aces.

If you want a cheap, reliable, and powerful brake and don't need the bling, boy is this the brake for you.

Duration Product Used:   10yrs

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB5, Grimeca System 11, Avid Elixir R, Hayes Stroker Ace, Tektro IOX

Bike Setup:   99 FSR enduro sport

Submitted by westeast a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    modulation and reliability. Only rarely do I get any brake squeal.

Weaknesses:    this is being picky, but it took me a while to figure the set up with my sram x9 shifters. I imagine with the newer x9's and the sliding post mount this would not be an issue. I eventually found a good fit for it all so really not an issue.

Bottom Line:
It's been 6 years, maybe 4 sets of pads, and I'm only now considering rebuilding and bleeding the brakes or possibly just purchasing some new ones. The avids look cool, but after reading about all the noise issues I'm leaning towards sticking with my hayes mags. They just work.

Similar Products Used:   v-brakes, original shimano disc brakes.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by imabiker a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Still working even though second-hand. Very sensitive, and easy to bleed.

Weaknesses:    It is very different to v-brakes, but im geting used to it.

Bottom Line:
These are really decant brakes. We have found a few tricks as with how to bleed them, and they are all on my blog, http://meandmymtb.blogspot.com/. I would buy these brakes new, I just don't know how easy parts are to get.

Submitted by joe a Racer from escondido, ca, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    Very durable, held up on crashes, stopping was consistent, bled and fluid was still clean

Bottom Line:
Hayes brakes are a good bang for your buck. They are simple to repair, replace pads and find parts for. They last along time and are hard to get rid of. They are like Chevys, you can find rebuild parts almost any where and aren't super expensive. Like everything else product knowlege is key to peak performance. I chose Hayes becasue of there reliabilty, not to mention my hfx 9s are still working good with many miles and no rebuilds yet. Bleed them, change the pads according to riding conditions and you will have a good experience this product.

Favorite Trail:   South Ridge Idlewild

Purchased At:   cyco path

Similar Products Used:   avid bb7s

Bike Setup:   Intense spider xvp, spinergy, bontrager

Submitted by dave a Weekend Warrior from south bend in

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    I have the 8"/6" set up and it stops a 38 lb bike great. nosewheelies at speed are no problem. and it stops better than any other disc brake single piston type set up around. dependable and easy to set up a bit of a chore to bleed. quality feel throughout these will make you hit the trail a little faster with your new stopping ability

Weaknesses:    a bit bulky looking for my tastes. other than that i think they ARE superior to every comparable brake system.

Bottom Line:
if you are willing to commit to hyd disc brakes, the bleeding and such and are not going 40-60 mph downhill buy these. I am pleased and if they broke id replace them with the same,but those hopes look soooo goodI dont know.....

Purchased At:   House of Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   avid juicys,hopes,hayes nines,mech disc,vs ect.

Bike Setup:   06 opie. Fox 32 vanilla rlc,maxxis,sun,hope hubs,raceface crank set,SRAM not 1 thing from shimano, and thats the way we like it.eh!

Submitted by Klaus a Weekend Warrior from Berlin

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    solid, easy setup

Weaknesses:    fading is an issue

Bottom Line:
fairly good for XC/ trail riding. But for anything more biased on FR, their lack of power and tendency to fading becomes an issue.

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   Juicy

Bike Setup:   mod. Coiler DeeLux

Submitted by bennie a Cross Country Rider from oregon

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    slowing down. rear seems to be fine

Weaknesses:    have had them "go out" once in the front, the front rubs with rotor, has been fixed. stoping power is not impressive. Skweaks in front often.

Bottom Line:
do not expect these to be miricle disc brakes, im not impressed with these, and have used many others. make sure you have the sintered brake pads, the semis are too soft.

Bike Setup:   trek fuel 90

Submitted by mgersib a Cross Country Rider from lincoln, ne

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Strengths:    decent power

Weaknesses:    lack of modulation; terrible to bleed when the need arises, and it does frequently.

Bottom Line:
these brakes have ok power, but compared to current class-leading products like the avid juicy and shimano xtr disc brakes, they lack modulation and feel, and the sequence to bleed the brakes just about requires three hands, and can turn out to be a nighmare with dot brake fluid everywhere.

in fact, i wasn't really swayed to do an online review of these brakes until the nightmare bleed session i'm in the middle of right now. hayes' "bleed kit" is a big POS. i wrenched at a shop for 7 years, and have bled many disc brakes (both motorcycle and bicycle), and these are by far the worst brakes to bleed ever. ity's virtually impossible to get all the air out of the system. you should see how much dot fluid is on the floor of my bike room right now!!

i can honestly say that it'll be a long, long time before i again spend money on a hayes brake product. they basically suck compared to just about everything else out there in 2007.

Similar Products Used:   shimano xtr, avid bb7, avid juicy 7

Bike Setup:   2006 salsa dos niner; they were on a kona before that

Submitted by Pasi a Cross Country Rider from Espoo, Finland

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Strengths:    Good stopping power with V7/V8 rotors. Very reliable and easy to service.

Weaknesses:    Lacks modulation. Tends to rub the rotor, lack of caliper adjustability.

Bottom Line:
These brakes tends to give an on/off feel, i.e. lack modulation, general XC/trail riding. However, for freeride or downhill riding the stopping power is great. They have held up to many seasons of heavy use.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Magura Marta, Hayes Mag HD & Mag Plus

Bike Setup:   heavily upgraded Kona Coiler

Submitted by Enrique a Racer from Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    great power, modulation, this are my first hydraulics and work way better than mechanical disc brakes

Weaknesses:    when I handed them to my LBS to get them installed on my bike, they noticed that the bleed screws were missing(BSC sent them right away) so it took like a week to get those screews to me. away from that, the brakes dont have any.

Bottom Line:
I only had riden them in a few rides, but they had worked perfectly, best modulation and power.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling