Hayes El Camino Disc Brake System

2.87/5 (70 Reviews)

Hayes El Camino Hydraulic disc brakes are the latest in Disc technology. Hayes Phenolic pistons ensure maximum retraction. Designed with a concealed fluid reservoir for a light sleek look. Tool free lever reach adjustment, Mono-Block caliper. Power ad

Submitted by Alex

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    Looks the dogs ....

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work as well as it looks. Had nines before and was hoping for simular reliablity.

Bottom Line:
At first fine. Looked good and worked well. 2-4 months later front locks. 12 months later rear locks and piston rod comes away from piston. Serviced front and brake failed again. The power adjustment doesnt work. I lost the rubber adjustment wheel for reach on first ride. Allen key works. Overall not so good. Can't even sell them due to poor reputation.

Submitted by www a Downhiller from san francisco, ca usa

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    looks great was smooth in beginning

Weaknesses:    spongey

Bottom Line:
it looks great just works not to well i have a great setup n it works better with the hope brakes. ajustment is really losey no like rate it 1.5 out of 5

Favorite Trail:   ski trails summit

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   shimano, hope, forumla

Bike Setup:   intense, rockshox boxxers, chris kings hubs n heaset, mavic max wheels, xtr everything

Submitted by creekchubb a Cross Country Rider from omaha

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    work great. quiet, dont get brake fade. bleeding is a breeze

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is not a downhill brake. for cross country these work great. they are quiet, have great power, and modulation.

Favorite Trail:   all

Submitted by kona34 a Racer from Romania

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2009

Strengths:    They look good stopping power was very good in the first months .

Weaknesses:    This is a very pour quality product from hayes .I was disappointed ,the levers had a big play ,the a ajustments were horible .There was a constatnt squeak stopping power was pour.Brake pads are like bottle tops.

Bottom Line:
awful brakes .I recommend magura,avid elixir

Favorite Trail:   none

Similar Products Used:   Avid bb 7

Bike Setup:   shimano xt-xtr ,kcnc sun rims ufo ,mosso falcon

Submitted by Betarad a Cross Country Rider from Lahaina, HI

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    Relatively good modulation & stopping power when not hot.

Weaknesses:    Loss of stopping power when hot, lever adjusting screw constantly self-adjusts, noisy when wet (or hot).

Bottom Line:
I've had these on my bike for 2 years, and like some reviewers below, I've experienced all of the weaknesses mentioned. The constantly changing position of the lever adjusting screw on long, bumpy descents is the most annoying. I too tried loctite with limited success. I also got used to re-adjusting the screw on the fly between bumpy sections.

Then there's the fading when hot issue. Not real confidence inspiring. And the shrieking that comes with heat or muddy conditions is equally annoying.

All in all, these brakes are awful for those who ride hard and regularly. I was a Hayes fan until the El Camino experience.

On a side note, I just replaced them with Magura Marta sl's.......Holy crap, what a difference! Now there's some quality German engineering.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey run

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 EVP, xtr, Chris King, Fox, Thomson, Easton, Kenda, etc.

Submitted by rarroyo a Downhiller from Oakland CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2009

Strengths:    Modulation, Power, Style, Weight, Adjustability.

Weaknesses:    levers...too long for my taste.

Bottom Line:
Have been running these brakes for two years with minimal issues, craftmanship is superb, power is great I ride fast and come in at 210 lb. Not made anymore so you would have to get a use set, well worth it. Find good deals on them.

Like any brake system you have to setup them up properly.

Favorite Trail:   Cindy

Purchased At:   greenfish.com

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 7, Juicy Ultimate

Bike Setup:   DB Mission 3, Nixon, Custom wheels, FSA Crank, Thomson Stem, FSA Post, S Type Shock, XO Shifters, XO Derailleurs, Deity Bars, SDB Saddle.......tight!

Submitted by John Reeves a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Strengths:    One in a thousand pairs works for some rider out there!

Weaknesses:    Going down a long steep hill using the brakes will heat them up so much that the lever becomes all mushy and sinks to the grips - even when screws are all the way in. Makes for a scary downhill when your brakes fail.
These brakes never stop squealing either.

Bottom Line:
Never buy these brakes. You will be nothing but dissapointed. I will spend a little extra next time and buy something that is tried and true (not to mention consistent all of the time). I am going to replace these brakes as soon as I can. I was going to give them to my brother but they are not even worth that. I would feel as though I just gave someone a sack of crap with potentially worse consequences.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Nine - love them! Juicys

Submitted by 4allday a Cross Country Rider from Summit County, CO

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Light, good modulation

Weaknesses:    Lever adjustment bolt backs out during bumpy DH sections. This causes the levers to come back all the way to the grips sometimes and can also get in the way of a trigger shifter.

Bottom Line:
These came on a used bike that had XTR rapid rise shifters. I mention the shifters b/c if you ride with shifters that have a trigger, this may be a problem. The El Camino's lever adjustment bolt chronically backs out, and this is my primary complaint. It is enough of a problem to give them a bad review, IMHO. When going down extended technical downhills, the damn thing comes out so much that it causes the lever to come back all the way to the grips. Also, this gets in the way of your shifters if you have triggers. Not a problem with the SRAM thumb levers. Blue & red loc-tite both failed easily. Straight-up super glue has worked the best, but still fails after a couple rides. I've gotten in the habit of adjusting them on-the-fly every chance I get so that when I get to a DH section, hopefully they don't back out so much that it hits my grips. Both the Hayes Mag's and Hayes 9's work much better. Too bad i already sold my 9's to a friend, otherwise I'd swap them in a heart beat. It really sucks going down a long stretch of super bumpy stuff and feeling that brake lever slowly getting softer and softer and softer, hoping that it doesn't get all the way to the end before the hill ends.

Purchased At:   Came on used bike

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Mag, Hayes 9

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider XPV, X0 shifters/deraileur, King headset & hubs, Thompson stem, Easton bars & seatpost, Mavic 719 wheels, Manitou Minute IT fork/SPV shock, Hayes El Camino brakes (for now)

Submitted by Chabiens777 a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Strengths:    Great stopping power. I am around 180 lbs and have never had any of the problems everyone is speaking of. The El Camino offer alot of power and lock up tight, very responsive. The have power, have never failed, they will occasionally squeal, but a quick easy adjustment/modulation is all that is needed. You have to dial these brakes in and once you find the sweet spot everything works flawless. Very smooth stopping.

Weaknesses:    Occasional squealing, bleeding brakes takes some time.

Bottom Line:
Good solid braking. Good looks. I ride XC and these work excellent...just dial them in and your fine.

Favorite Trail:   Draper

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Mags..Juicy's, Avid

Bike Setup:   Trek EX8

Submitted by RyDog67 a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    Not Sure Yet!

Weaknesses:    Not Sure Yet!

Bottom Line:
After reading some of these reviews I am kinda scared to see what happens. I am 6'2" 280lbs and still ride somewhat as when I was 230lbs. I purchased the 8" in hope of more stopping power. I am waiting on the adaptors to convert the 6" to 8" rotors. I will give my feedback after the first ride. I can see that the lever adjustment might be a problem as the little rubber end that allows you to turn the screw adjustment already fell off before I have yet to install them. These are brand new and purchased from Price Point! Hope I am able to stop so I can give my next review!

Favorite Trail:   Colvert Auburn

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Hayes HFX 9

Bike Setup:   04 Cannondale Jekel

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Reston, VA, US

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Squeals, rubs, locked up at one point and pistons needed to be pried back into housing on rear brake.

Bottom Line:
Buy something else.

Favorite Trail:   Fountain Head

Similar Products Used:   V brakes

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider dream bike built from the ground up.

Submitted by Geoff a Cross Country Rider from Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2008

Strengths:    In new condtion worked reasonably well. Reach adjust seemed handy, reasonably powerful.

Weaknesses:    Floppy levers.
With a little time two things happened - nobs fell off the reach adjust and reach adjust continually worked either loose or tight on trails - with no nobs to grab to re-adjust... this meant getting out the hex, sometimes every 5 minutes! This will drive you nuts!!!
Power adjust does nothing, and is frozen anyway.

Bottom Line:
Decided this morning to replace the dead pads. Needed the hex key to wind out the pistons due to the fact that the only way to stop the brakes either winding on or winding off on the trails has been to LOCTITE the threads (other reviewers). Hex key pulled the hex thread out of the adjustment on the first attempt. Now I'll need to carry VICE GRIPS to adjust the levers - no more handy little 'on the fly' adjustment nobs!
I've had enough - now researching replacements.
These brakes are just going to frustrate you, beginner or otherwise. If you have read this and you are a beginner at least you'll know why your brakes keep getting looser or tighter.

Favorite Trail:   Silverdome

Purchased At:   With bike

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet 1

Submitted by mountnflyer a Cross Country Rider from Aspen, CO

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Can't think of any.

Weaknesses:    brake contact adjustment moves during ride. Adjustment setscrew gets in the way. Always with the screeching and squeeling.

Bottom Line:
I'm poor. Been riding since '85, but haven't been able to buy my dreambike till a year ago. The El Caminos have turned it into a nightmare. I HATE THIS PRODUCT! The adjustment screw sticks out where my finger needs to be for shifting making things cumbersome. The same screw works it's way loose literally every 20 minutes during a ride. I was forced to put locktight on it, which helped a little but then when I had to use it the plastic cap stripped off and got lost. Now I need to break out an allen wrench every 40 minutes during a ride to adjust it. This in addition to the horrifying noises that everyone within a half mile of me has to listen to has ruined my "new bike experience". These are going into the dumpster as soon as my formulas come in and I will never buy a Hayes product for as long as I live.

Favorite Trail:   slickrock