Hayes Dyno Comp Disc Brake System

2.4/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 400g MSRP : $84.99

The Dyno isThe compilation of 13 years of brake design and innovation. Designed for cross country and all mountain riding,The Dyno isThe perfect combination of power and light weight. Weight: 400g Hose Color: Black Lever: Adjustable Reach Pad Material: Vesrah Semi- Metallic Intended Use: All mountain/ Cross country

Submitted by pcmxa a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2014

Strengths:    Good stopping power and modulation, once they are worn in.

Weaknesses:    Tend to get noisy when jogged around.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding these for about 4 months and overall I like them. I ride them with one finger and have no problem with braking power even on steep descents at speed. They also have pretty good modulation, meaning I can brake without locking the tires even on chunky downhills or feather for fast turns and do both consistently. Both of these (the power and the modulation) took a long time to develop. Initially they lacked both, they tended to lock up without slowing down first and needed two fingers to do so.

They aren't as strong as other (Shimano XT) and I wouldn't want to use them for downhill, but for intermediate trail on my HT I am happy with them.

Biggest downside I have had with them (haven't need to bleed them or do other maintenance) is big hits tend to jar them out of alignment a little bit and they make some interesting noises. This is usually self correcting.

I would recommend them for XC and intermediate trail.

Favorite Trail:   North foothills

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    Loved the white color option

Weaknesses:    No power, loud, queaky,

Bottom Line:
These came on my 2012 Trek Cobia. After a few rides I knew they had to be replaced. Loud, screechy, and vibrates the hell out of the frame. I could live with that if they actually had good stopping power, but alas I found myself in some pretty hairy situations wondering if my bike would stop. Thats not fun on singletrack. My previous bike had Avid BB7s and those were much more reliable with consistent stopping power.

These are coming off, and I just picked up a set of Shimano Deore M596's

The only redeeming factor to these are the white color option.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Cobia (stock at the moment)

Submitted by Mamba in CT a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap and light brakes.

Weaknesses:    It seems like these brakes all left the factory needing to be bled, then after bleeding they still have very limited stopping power. I'm comparing these Hayes on a 29er hardtail (Mamba) vs. Avid Elixir III on my 26" Trek Fuel ex7. The Avids take 1 finger, have almost no travel, and I can put myself right over the handlebars. The Hayes - pull them with three fingers as hard as I can, lever goes almost to the handlebar and yet there is limited stopping power. No endo, no skid, no lifting the rear tire.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't recommend anyone buy these, or a bike with them if you have any intention of ridding on a trail. I wouldn't use them on a city bike - you'd never be able to stop before a taxi pulled out and hit you.

Submitted by vmed_cha_gr a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Good stopping power, no wooden feel, predictable, warranty !! No noise from the rotors (but i used different brand rotors).
I would try better brake pad material (like carbon ones) , i think it will boost their performance.

Weaknesses:    Slight luck of power fresh from the box, things get better after some klms but sometimes you will need 2 fingers instead of 1 to stop your bike. XC use only.

Bottom Line:
This my second review.
I will compare them to the Hayes Stroker Ryde that they replaced & Saints that i use on another bike. I haven't changed the stock pads yet. This review is after 300klm of brake in period, all XC rides (180mm rotos front / 160mm rotor back). -->

. No wooden feel. These brakes react as they should be. Pressing softer or harder the lever translates into proper feel from the callipers.
.. I'll have to agree with some members here that they seem to lack a bit of power. Compared to my other bike that has Saint (2005) on it, Saints react rapidly with one finger, Dynos react the same but you need two fingers, so you need more power to the lever. For me it's ok though & now they perform even better after 300klm .
... These brakes do not block your back wheel easily, there is a slowdown progress before this appears at low speed only. This is something i really like because it gave me more control. Most of you know what happens when you go down & your brakes block the back wheel easily. Stroker rydes were awful to this, Saints are controllable. There was no noise as pads hit the rotors.

.... I would only use them for XC. I had no problems with noise and stuff, probably because i still use the old rotors & haven't installed the new ones that came with the set.

..... They were cheap from MerlinCycles.co.uk

Purchased At:   www.merlincycles.co.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Stroker Ryde 2007, Shimano Saint 2055.

Bike Setup:   Specilized Epic FSR 2005.

Submitted by ChewynMe a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Stopping power
Color choices (white and black)

Weaknesses:    Difficult to modulate deceleration
Noisy- (especially the rear)
A little difficult to bleed
A little pricey (Avid Elixer 5 are -$20)

Bottom Line:
This f/r system came on my 2012 Trek Cobia.

After my first week riding they developed a loud hissing/moaning sound which I can't really explain better, sorry. But, the noise is loud enough that others further up the trail could hear it, and as I passed they asked me if I was ok...I had a good chuckle about it later. Basically the pads needed to be sanded ever so slightly, (I picked this up from others on the MTBR forum who complained of the same issue). After sanding they were cleaned with alcohol and replaced. I have not had too much of an issue now with the brakes, save a little less stopping power. I find this a nice exchange however as the sound was deadly irritating and now with weaker stopping power I can control the pace of braking better.

It is worth noting that I attempted many times (before sanding the pads) to adjust the stopping power or to modulate the strength of braking. After exhaustive internet searching and reaching out to Hayes no fix was found (may be out there but difficult to find). I am not suggesting that you instantly sand your pads if you buy these brakes, but at least for me it solved 2 problems in one, maybe I was lucky.

In all, the brakes are working well now, although I still feel my Avids were better out of the box, and even now. I hate to think I should switch my brakes from my new bike, but that just may happen. I feel these brakes should be more reliable and need less TLC if they come on a new bike..especially at this price point.

This is my first experience with a Hayes brake system. In the past I have used Shimano or Avid.

Hayes Dyno Comp vs Avid Elixir 3's

I have read the reviews, and cannot decide which to go for. I currently run Avid BB7's, so the changeover to the Elixir's would be relatively easy, where as with the Hayes I would need to redo my entire set up. Which one is the better choice?Read More »

Hayes Dyno Comp Brakes and Grip Shifters

I have a bike with X5 grip shifters. I want to get some new brakes and I am looking at Hayes Dyno Comps. I wanted to know if anyone has grip shifters and runs Dyno Comp brakes. I am a little concerned the lever will not clear the shifter. Anyone have any experience with this?Read More »