Hayes Disc Brakes Disc Brake System

4.41/5 (404 Reviews)

Hayes Disc Brakes

Submitted by reddpoint a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore MD

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Strengths:    Stopping power

Weaknesses:    Pain in the @ss to maintain.

Bottom Line:
Works great until you need to maintain them. I have spent HOURS bleeding these brakes only to have them continue to rub. Not worth the effort or cost. 2 chilis for the power but you really should not ignore everyone who has gone crazy with these brakes.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by DHmonkey123 a Downhiller from San Anselmo, Marin, California

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Strengths:    great stopping power on DH runs and amazing in rock gardens

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
good stopping power for every run and awesome in technical sections. these are highly recommended for DH and FR as long as you get the 203 mm rotors.

Favorite Trail:   Solstice or Tamarancho and my "secret trail"

Purchased At:   friends brakes

Similar Products Used:   Hayes strokers

Bike Setup:   the bike was a Giant AC2

Submitted by Kona Biker a Weekend Warrior from Loxley, Alabama, US

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2010

Strengths:    stops u well

Weaknesses:    constant rubbing is creating drag and I can't find any clear instructions (better yet a brief video on what I do/unscrew to loosin this thing to center it) online for "centering the caliper" as described in the hayes manual that I did find online

Bottom Line:
this problem seems to be with lotsa brakes and I'm not sure why brakes need to drag (especially expensive hydraulic ones) when you're not using them.

Favorite Trail:   Chicksabogue

Similar Products Used:   juicy avid 3.5 but they r newer

Submitted by -WHIP- a Racer from Saint Clair Shoes, Mi

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    No maintenance....at least my pair

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I have had this set of HAYES for over 4 years on 3 different frames. Besides this season I would race weekly and ride at least 3x's during the week. I am 215lbs plus and have necer had a problem with this set. HIGHLY recommended!!

Favorite Trail:   Ruby

Purchased At:   B3

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC SE1 Frame-Too much to list after that

Submitted by drinkypoo a Weekend Warrior from Kelseyville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2009

Strengths:    Stop you like anything.

Weaknesses:    Bleeding these things is a NIGHTMARE. It's a good thing you don't have to do it often, because it's TERRIBLE. Just take it to the shop, seriously.

Bottom Line:
These brakes will stop you like anything, but bleeding them is pure BS. They make you bleed them from the bottom, and PUSH the fluid through the system. Unfortunately the bottle only attaches to the bleeder with a slip-on tube, so it's SUPER easy for it to come off. If you do your own maintenance, get something else. I do my own so I can only give out 3 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Gail's on Boggs

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Cars have hydraulic brakes

Bike Setup:   Haro Extreme with Fox Talas RC2 and DHX5

Submitted by Jlevy a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Great all around brakes.

Weaknesses:    None noticed.

Bottom Line:
One of the best if not the best component I have ever used. Hardly any maintenance and great performance. Pad duration is superb. Minumum break-in needed.

Favorite Trail:   Perote, Veracruz

Purchased At:   Came installed with

Similar Products Used:   Magura, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro 2001 Stock.

Submitted by Luke101 a Downhiller from Berkeley, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, easy to work on, good stopping power, cheap (compared to avid), dont seem to fade at all

Weaknesses:    Little adjustments, little modulation

Bottom Line:
They will stop you and lock up well but not much in the middle.

Favorite Trail:   Live Wire

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Avid 3's and 5's

Bike Setup:   Big Hit

Submitted by spd_pwr_tecnq a Weekend Warrior from Neenah, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Always brake with confidence with hayes hydraulic nines. Work perfect in all conditions, never any fade under heavy braking downhill. Lever always feels solid!!

Weaknesses:    Only had to readjust the front caliper mount once (installation error, not tightens properly by bike shop.)

Bottom Line:
These will be my companions on any bike from now on! Just hold on because if you want to stop on a dime, you will..

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast and tecnical

Similar Products Used:   Cable discs can't compare.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher hoo koo e koo.
locked, cocked, ready to rock!

Submitted by Patrick a Downhiller from Kent, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    They stop pretty fast and they severed my right index finger!

Weaknesses:    They squeak sometimes and throw on a 7" disc on the back.

Bottom Line:
Get them their cheap and have great stopping power get a 7" disc for the back and watch those fingers!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Sawyer Trails

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized BigHit SPEC

Submitted by elliott a Cross Country Rider from LA CA US

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Strengths:    My first caliper Mx was in 2007 I got them in 2000. I am also 200 lbs and ride 60 to 70 miles of single trax a week

Weaknesses:    not ajustable

Bottom Line:
For least amount of Mx and great stopping power they are buy far the best.

Submitted by Jeff from Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth and consistent braking under all conditions. Get used to them very quickly. Good modulation. Except for start-up issues, they were maintenance free and very dependable.

Weaknesses:    As with all disk brakes, you must put spacers in if you take the wheels off.

Bottom Line:
Most of the reviewers seem to either love or hate these brakes. So far, I love them! I've heard great things about the Avid mechanicals, too.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Assenmacher's Cyclery

Bike Setup:   These Hayes 9's came standard on my 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 8.

Submitted by brad a Downhiller from perth, western australia, australia

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    it makes you STOP!!!!!!!!!! just befor you get wraped around a tree. the work great no matter what weater your in i told all my mates now they have them.

Weaknesses:    as if!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
great, in every way, wet drysnow. they work in every thing!!!!!!!!! no joke

Similar Products Used:   none, one of a kind

Bike Setup:   race line max, michlen wheels, top of the line truvativ crank set.

Submitted by joe stabbs a Cross Country Rider from harbor springs mi

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Work great for a while. great stopping power when wet

Weaknesses:    mine had the worst vibrations in them you can possibly imagine. had to replace everything in the rear disc to make the vibration go away. not cheap!!!

Bottom Line:
when they are working properly they are great brakes. ive had my problems with them and trying to replace some of the components can get pricey. imagine that though in this game. all in all would get again

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   touring gear

Similar Products Used:   v-brakes and the random avid disc trying someone elses bike.

Bike Setup:   2002 gary fisher big sur with some added features but nothing worth trying to brag bout.

Submitted by joe stabbs a Cross Country Rider from harbor springs mi

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Work great for a while. great stopping power when wet

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   touring gear

Submitted by Chris Marquette a Downhiller from Santa Barbara California

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Great stopping force

Weaknesses:    a little heavy for a bmx

Bottom Line:
I love having hydraulic brakes on my BMX... Thats right you heard my BMX... I got HYdraulic disc brakes on my BMX. these brakes are the original hayes the first on the market and still work like new. I reccommend them to anybody who asks.

Favorite Trail:   RED ROCK