Grimeca System 7 Disc Brake System

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 254 g MSRP : $95.00

Mechanical: This is a mechanical caliper with a centering adjuster operated by a standard brake lever. Supplied with 160mm front and rear rotors. Caliper weight 254 grams.

Submitted by T Mack a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    They work, better than most V-brakes, not too heavy, and cheeeap

Weaknesses:    hard to find pads for, but might as well buy a whole new caliper for the price.

Bottom Line:
Used them on my hardtail for a while before getting my FS. Got avids and like them better, if nothing else just because I wore one pad out to the metal, couldnt find replacements. Did have an issue with the pad adjustment scews re-adjusting themselves, drop of blue loctite fixed that. Avids are easier to adjust tho, with the big red dials on both sides (little black plastic adjuster on these also liked to turn itself). One thing I did like was that the external adjuster thingy moved the whole caliper, and the caliper kinda "floats" where the avids are fixed to the frame and you have to adjust the pads individually.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Mtn, Ga

Purchased At:   Ebay I think

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB's

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback, Manitou Skarab Super, XT everything, eggbeaters, Vuelta Airline disc wheels, IRC MythosXC blackwalls, Avid BB discs

Submitted by Toby a Cross Country Rider from Studio City CA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2003

Strengths:    Simple to set up and maintain. They don't fade much.

Weaknesses:    Can't be used on 74mm Manitou forks.

Bottom Line:
Unbeatable for the price. Work really well on the rear with 140mm disk. I am going to have to get a different brake for the front as the other Grimeca I bought wont fit (make me an offer). I will be a able to compare then. On the whole I am really happy with these.

Purchased At:   EBAY - Where else?

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 4.0, WTB Speedisks, Avid levers and cables.

Submitted by len moses a Cross Country Rider from eagle bridge ny.

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Strengths:    value-thats 100.00 front and rear new on ebay.
after break in period they work excellent.
easy to adjust. i can't imagine avids mech. being any better.

Weaknesses:    a little noisy untill broken in. so what

Bottom Line:
i paid a c note for pair brand new so i'm giving 5 flaming turds. had i paid the 200.+ list i would expect slightly more stopping power.i'm hopping getting replacement parts won't be a problem. but over-all i'm very pleased with the perfomance of these brakes.

Favorite Trail:   muddy adirondack snowmobile trails

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   magnura disc. xtr rim.

Bike Setup:   g. fisher sugar 1 has the system 7 discs.
cannondale saco dura ace-ultegra

Submitted by Pritch a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, simple, durable.

Weaknesses:    Not brilliant stopping power, weight

Bottom Line:
As I work for a certain famous bike retailer I got this bike at a very reasonable price when I was looking for a bargain freerider, but accepted that the component mix didn't do the frame package justice.

I've changed just about everything except the cranks and these brakes.

I probably would not buy them seperately, but with this bike they have performed excellently. For most recreational riders they will be more than enough. Need a bit of careful bedding in. Good strong cable housing.

Not the performance of my Avid Mechanical disk on my Marin and a lot heavier- these disks are too beefy for a lightweight XC machine.

On the whole, great value for money.

Favorite Trail:   Leigh Woods, Bristol

Similar Products Used:   Avid Mechanical Disk

Bike Setup:   Saracen Havoc '01 with LX groupset, other mods.

Submitted by Who do ya think? from Bedfodshire England

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Strengths:    Good modulation, easy to set up and maintain, good in wet and muddy conditions.

Weaknesses:    Not as good as my v-brake avids.

Bottom Line:
All round good stopper but not brilliant.

Favorite Trail:   Secret

Purchased At:   MCCCYCLES

Similar Products Used:   Shimano deore LX V, Avid arch rivals

Bike Setup:   X-Ess

Submitted by paul jacob a Downhiller from london

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    great for skidding

Bottom Line:
cheap effective impressable brakes might be able to stop adele they are so effective and efficient that i have never had to sevice them ,they have always been working perfect since i have bought my saracen havoc you should seriously consider buying these if you are a abouser to your bike and equipment.

Favorite Trail:   repindels

Purchased At:   bikehut

Similar Products Used:   v brake ,hope,hayes

Bike Setup:   saracen havoc 2001

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    simple, easy to set up.. very very effective

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
excellent brakes.. I have no complaints at all..

Similar Products Used:   Avid

Bike Setup:   Saracen 2001 D-Tox.. .. I added the F/R System 7's afterwards

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Cotswolds, UK

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2001

Strengths:    Once set up, they are eyeball-poppingly effective, and are no hassle in the wet, compared to my old LX V-brakes. Despite rumours, pads are easy to get hold of.

Weaknesses:    Product came with Bike, so the manual was on the internet, which takes a year to download. Setup took a while, but once I'd worked them out, I was happy.
Levers are cheap, so bought some Deore ones instead. Disc attatches to hub via 5 bolts, which may raise compatibility issues.

Bottom Line:
Came with bike, so I don't know how much they're worth, but in comparison to my old brakes, they're excellent, especially in the mud. Very sensitive, with plenty of modulation. Give reassuring feel at tricky moments. Now I know how to set them up, they're a doddle!

Similar Products Used:   LX V brakes.

Bike Setup:   Saracen Tuffrax with Bomber Z4

7 speed derailleurs on 8 speed system?

[COLOR=#000000]Will 7 speed derailleurs work on an 8 speed system? [/COLOR]I plan on upgrading to 8 speed derailleurs in the future. For now I hope the 7 speed derailleurs will work. [COLOR=#000000]Also, will a 9 speed chain negatively impact the 7 or 8 speed derailleur? Thank you[/COLOR]Read More »

Elixir 7 - Air in system

I bought a set of used Elixir 7 brakes and can't seem to get all the air out of the front brake. I've bled the brakes at least 3 times now. I'm using the Avid Pro Kit and am pretty certain I know what I'm doing. My bleeds have been flawless on the rear brake and my other bikes. The issue I have ... Read More »

avid elixir 7 - closed system?

My elixir brakes have that adjustable lever position. But this position seems to move depending on fluid temperature (volume increase with temperature). As soon as i start using the brakes heavily, the lever moves outward, away from a comfortable position. One more reason to ditch them... well, does ... Read More »

Best Shimano shifter for 7 speed system

I'm interesting what is best Shimano shifter (without brake levers) for 7 speed system? Is it SL-MC40 STX 7-speed Rapidfire?Read More »

Juicy 7 Levers Work On Juicy 5 System?

I did a search and didn't come up with much on this. Figured its be discussed before though. I have a 09' Juicy 5 setup on my bike. I would like to swap out just the levers to the Juicy 7. I herd that the 5's and 7's are similar except the 7's are more adjustable. If possible, then all I should ... Read More »