Formula T1 25th Anniversary Disc Brake System

1987…the year of floppy discs, the Supernova, the introduction of the Ferrari F40 and good times! It was also the time when Andrea Becocci and Daniela Frati made the decision to kick start their company – Formula Italy. Formula is proud to feature the 25th Anniversary t1, Limited Edition. Known for its extraordinary performance, the T1 brake has now experienced a “makeover” in honor of this momentous milestone. The T1 25th edition combining in its special version a unique and special chromating finishing that makes the surface of the brake extremely shiny amd a 25th anniversary special laser etched logo on both caliper & mastercylinder. With a limited number of 600 sets produced you will want to place your orders today!

Submitted by SpinM a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2014

Strengths:    Power, modulation, lightness, lever adjustability, looks, bling factor.

Weaknesses:    Very expensive (if you buy them at normal price). Expensive acessories (rotors, adapters).

Bottom Line:
This is my second Formula set. The first one were Mega's on my previous bike, which were also the reason for me to decide to go for Formulas on my current bike. The only question was, can a set be had at an affordable price. Normally T1's are super expensive, but I got my set from Formula Brake Store - discounted.
In my view T1's are comparable in power with Mega's which is not surprising since they share the enlarged 24 mm diameter pistons. Modulation is also excellent and since they are quite light too, there is really no reason why not use them in XC as in my case. There is no rubbery feeling on the lever, that I experienced on old Magura Louise's and to a lesser extend on previous generation of Shimano XT's. Ergonomically they are better than Mega's. Brake lever is better shapped for one finger braking (which is always enough) and better/easier adjustable. After only a few months of usage I can not comment on reliability, but if Mega's are any indication, I expect no trouble and bleeding perhaps every two years or so.
5 chillis overall, because these are the best brakes, I have ever used. 5 chillis for value, but just because I got them at aproximatelly half the normal price. Otherwise it would be 3 chillis.

Favorite Trail:   Local trails