Formula C1 Disc Brake System

2.67/5 (3 Reviews)

This versatile brake, with Formula’s new cartridge technology, is easy to maintain and provides great performance.

Submitted by fxd336

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2014

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    air,wear through pads like crazy !!!!

Bottom Line:
im on my 3rd set of pads in one year....yes the calipers are ok and so are the rotors.my friend has the same brakesand is going through the same thing,they SUCK..

Submitted by Stumpyfsrcompevo29 a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2014

Strengths:    Good power, good adjustability, easy to combine with SRAM shifters.

Weaknesses:    Out of the box they were soft and needed to be bled.

Bottom Line:
Good brake for the money once you can get a good bleed to them.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   Avid codes, elixir 9, elixir 7 trail.

Bike Setup:   Stumpy comp evo 29, revelation, roval carbon 29, formula c1

Submitted by Pontius_Pirate a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Strengths:    Cost. All black with no odd hardware makes for a sleek look. Once broken in I'm good with their stopping ability and modulation.

Weaknesses:    Formula bits (spare parts, hardware etc) are not readily stocked at every shop.

Bottom Line:
My old bike had a set of Formula Oro brakes that I loved, so when it came time for stoppers for the new bike I looked at Formula again. only this time, I had a budget goal. I grabbed both front and rear off a forum member for 100$. (I believe at this point these brakes are only OEM - but maybe I'm wrong). I needed longer hose, so I went to the LBS and they hooked me up with Shimano hose kits that worked great. Then I took a stab at bleeding the brakes. Got the front one done first time. The rear went OK, then I went for a ride and had to bleed again. All in all, maybe 2 hrs bleeding these guys.

So, performance. At first I was not impressed - then I realized that the rotors were brand new (not bedded in). Sure enough over the next 3-4 rides the braking performance has improved and now I'm very happy with modulation and power. Note, these are NOT 12 pot super DH brakes that could stop a bus. They're single pot trail brakes. Having said that, I'm a fatty at 240lbs loaded with gear and i ONLY use 1 finger braking. no issues with 6" rotors. Though I do wonder if on longer downhill runs if i'll be able to overheat the brakes.

So, for 100$ plus 25$ on hose kits I've got like new brakes taht work well. Happy so far. Very curious how the new cartridge levers will hold up. So far, so good.

Duration Product Used:   >1 month.

Purchased At:   FORUM