Formula B4 Pro Disc Brake System

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

B4 PRO. New black Caliper with 15 % more power and intercooler holes. A scant 355 grams including the rotor and all bolts. Two opposed-piston caliper with self-adjusting pads Re-attachable hydraulic tube fittings, easy to shorten 140,160 monolithic stainless steel disc (6 holes) Equipped with I.S. fittings. Yes we do have a designated Front Post Mount caliper available Oversize discs adapter available as upgrades to run larger discs. 140 mm rear and 160 mm front are standard rotor sizes Please specify Front IS / Postmount or rear brake

Submitted by konaking a Downhiller from london

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    very strong brake and looks sweet

Weaknesses:    little bit of leakage

Bottom Line:
brilliant value and makes any bike look sweet deffo recomend to all my friends and fellow riders

Favorite Trail:   epping :D

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   quad cable

Bike Setup:   custom

Submitted by Andy G a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    Very light, good braking power, easy to install, good modulation, no leaks or hydraulic problems for me whatsoever, despite me weighing 95kg and riding some severe fast downhill runs

Weaknesses:    Can squeak a bit with sintered pads. Also if you do an 800 m descent dropping more than 100 m/minute while using EBC Organic Pads, the brakes will fade very quickly and you will be slaughtered.

Bottom Line:
Great brake. After riding with a 200mm Hope Mono M4 user in the skifields of Morzine for 9 day's, I'm convinced these brakes are very comparible in terms of power, modulation, and reliability, despite quite a bit less weight. The brake is completely different with different pads:

DON'T buy the EBC Organic Pad if you're doing any continuous steep descents, as if you overcook it, they can almost completely fade within 50 m or so of fireroad and then slaughter you. However this pad is (apart from squelchy noise) quiet and very powerful in general.
Fibrax Sintered Pads - Good stopping power, reasonably quiet and didn't fade much on the skifields even when my rear disc turned red hot and then faded to that cooked black look. My favourite choice so far - they won't kill you, they last and perform well, and aren't too expensive... well that's what I thought anyway...
Formula stock sintered pads - Good stopping power, long life, but a bit squeaky on the front after a while.

International Bike Disc pads from "bikefridge" on Ebay UK - unbelievably bad (i.e. they might as well have been nothing there) - I'd swapped them back for some destroyed sintered pads as soon as I was able to stop on their first run).

Favorite Trail:   Pleny Black Run, Morzine, France

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Tried some Hayes HFX-9's and Hope M4's along the way and rode with people who had them

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive, Rohloff Speedhub, Formula B4 Pro+ discs front and rear, Tora 130mm front shock.

Submitted by Beñat Auzmendi a Cross Country Rider from Beasain (spain)

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    light, good modulation, looks and specially the lever disengagement system in case of "crash"

Weaknesses:    I´ve experienced very annoying squealing but this in not normal (if someone knows what could the cause be please email) Maybe not the most powerful either, but dunno

Bottom Line:
This is my first set of disc brakes so I can´t really tell how good/bad they are compared to others but I´m extremelly happy with´em.

My riding style is XC with some pretty hard descents. They´ve never shown any noticeable fade, at least in the kind of riding I do. Haven´t tested them in hight speed extremelly steep downhills or anything but they´ve stood a few serious warm-ups in places where I braked continiously for over 5-10 mins pressing the levers strong enough to get my fingers a little wasted. If only they wouldn´t piece my ears with that squaling!! Haven´t had any problem with leaks, purging or anything so far.

Bike Setup:   Orbea Zenit (hardtail, manitou skareb, crossmax enduro, XT/LX) www.orbea.com

Submitted by Sean from San Deigo

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, performance and cost.

Bottom Line:
I just performed my first bleed and purge on my B4 and it went smoothly. Below is a tip I got on bleeding brakes that might help some of you. The weight of these brakes is amazing. The modulation and braking power is great once you get fresh brake fluid and a proper purge.

I use EBC Red pads and these brakes are great for XC race or general trail riding. I weigh 183 lbs and if your a sumo rider you may want to try something bigger 180mm rotors, maybe the Avid Juicys.

I found a brake bleed tip that I want to share. Maybe its one reason why people rate haydraulic brakes poorly is because they are difficult to get the lever firm. Its easy to get air in the lines during a purge.

A motorcycle mechanic originally gave me this tip. I have since verified this tip with Hayes brakes but it works on all brands.

If your lever still feels mushy after a brake fluid purge try this.

Leave the bike tilted in a bike stand Park Tools or whatever, with the handlebar and lever being the highest point and caliper at the lowest poinit. The difference from a standard purge is to leave it like this overnight with the resesivoir screw open and lever taped fully compressed to the handlebar grip. This will allow the air bubbles to rise over night.

Then purge again with lever compressed.

Untape lever and perform standard purge.

It worked for me and it might save you some brake fluid and work time.

Better time spent on the trail than in the workshop!!!

Hope this helps.

Favorite Trail:   Epics

Purchased At:   eabikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Hayes

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, cost and performance.

Weaknesses:    Takes a few tries to learn how to bleed these brakes.

Bottom Line:
I had a problem after the intial install with getting lever firmness. I went through quite a bit of brake fluid before getting it right. Since then I got over a full year of riding before replacing my pads, rotors and bleeding again.

I used EBC red pads and new rotors. Wow, like new all over again.

I have owned 2 other hydraulic brake systems and performed all my own bleeds. I do not recommend people trying to bleed there own brakes unless they have patience and persistance to get it right. My Hayes brakes got air in the Rear line after my first bleed. It took two more times to get it right. Its normal to me after using Hayes, Magura's and Formula's.

The end effect if you don't ruin a seal or improperly bleed the brakes is pure delight.

I'm very happy with my Formula's and would only recommend having a professional bike shop with experienced mechs peform the work.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel, Romero, Kanan, Edison

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Mag Plus, Magura Marta SL

Submitted by brian davies a Racer from uk

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, cost,

Weaknesses:    Levers look fragile. Not as good looking as hopes

Bottom Line:
I Paid £115 for the complete set front and back. The calipers look good and the feel of the lever is good. Only ridden them a few times but because of the typical british weather they are already feeling better than my Avid 7s as they work in the wet. They are very light and to get an as light set from a different manufacturer you are looking at spending 3 times the price I paid. There are plenty of spares available. They are only intended to be used for Xcountry. They do not have the stopping power of my M4s but then these are more Dhill brakes. So far so good.

Favorite Trail:   afan argoed swales

Purchased At:   merlin cycles

Similar Products Used:   Hope M4s

Bike Setup:   Scoot Gzero pro 2003, hope hubs

Submitted by kam_ja a Cross Country Rider from Philly

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Strengths:    -light weight
-great modulation
-great "lever" feel
-excellent X crountry brakes

Weaknesses:    These brakes take awhile to brake in. You could hear my bike squealing a mile away just from brake rub when they were first installed. Braking is good but they start to fade during long descents.

Bottom Line:
5 chilies for Value because it is relatively cheap compared to other disc brake systems with similar weight.

4 chilies for the Overall rating because of the brake fade

Similar Products Used:   Magura Louise - used 3 years, very reliable simple brake

Bike Setup:   Indy Fab Ti Deluxe, Rock Shox SID race, mix components

Submitted by bostonkiwi a Racer from Boston

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Good modulation and weight, power o.k. The 04 kit had some important improvements incl. better lever protectors and Al bladder frame, however both before and after the kit installation I had problems with air getting into system. The brake system let me down in 2 races so it's gone.