DiaTech Twin Cam Disc Brakes Disc Brake System

2.87/5 (39 Reviews)
Weight : 198 g

• System: Twin Cam with high lever ration mechanical system
  • Control: Conventional brake cable operated mechanism
  • Caliper:Compatible with conventional type brake lever.
  • Hub: 32 holes, cold forged aluminum allow hub, CNC machined finish.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Stevieboy a Downhiller from Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Good price, feel of quality, stand up to a pounding.

Weaknesses:    Some corrosion of the resovouir caps

Bottom Line:
    You can't beat them for the money. I've used mine for both commuting to work and the off road weekend ride and they are still going strong after 4 years and plenty of abuse.

Favorite Trail:   Local routes

Purchased At:   Wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Carrera Stormbringer

Submitted by Joel Walker a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, SA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Strengths:    Consistant performance. Will provide more power then XT V in 6 inches of wet grass

Weaknesses:    Consistantly B.A.D. performance. NOOOOOOOOOOO Power

Bottom Line:
    Bought on sale, should have come with front hub but it wasn't there so the did me a deal on a new front wheel. Got home and found that the Rotor didn't have a Standard 6 bolt pattern, back to the shop, found me a Deore front rotor (same thickness and diameter but smaller swept area). Mounted it and put the cable on. Easy to setup, did 40K+ to break it in of constant stop start single track stuff wasn't happy with the feel and then rode it to work.

Have to come down a really step hill, constanly on brake to avoid traffic. Nearly didn't stop at bottom no matter how hard I pulled on the lever. Smoke off the brake and I think I saw a small flame, the rotor got so hot it turned purple. Took it back to the bike shop, they were scared at how bad the brake performed so they sold me an Avid mech for about US$50.

I bolted it on and without having worn in they would give me controlled front wheel stands with little effort from two fingers.

Listen Carefully, "Buy the Avids, Young Jedi Cyclist..." cause the Diatechs scared the mechanics...

PS The Avids weren't hot enough to stop me from touching the caliper, I discovered, when I went to adjust the pads at the bottom of the big hill... much better

Favorite Trail:   Shepards Hill Reserve

Similar Products Used:   Avid Mech, Hayes Mech/Hydro, XT V's

Bike Setup:   01 Merida Cobra, Avid Mech Front on Shimano M525/Ditchwitch, XT parallel pull V Rear, Shimano SM-SH55 SPD pedals. Stock Suntour fork and RST rear. Will do for now.

Submitted by moray greig a Weekend Warrior from edinburgh

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Strengths:    better looking than V's thats about it!

Weaknesses:    where do i start the power i got from these peaked at about 2 months and went down from there untill they failed and caused me to hit a wall doing about 30mph

Bottom Line:
    bad bad brakes! i've now upgraded to shimano XT discs much better!

Favorite Trail:   tyrebagger!

Purchased At:   alpine bikes

Similar Products Used:   just V's

Bike Setup:   '99 marin nail trail

Submitted by Cailan Libby a Downhiller from Golden

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2002

Strengths:    Work good once you break them in, keep the rotor clean and they work sweeet. Simple.

Weaknesses:    Not as powerfull as hydros, drag on rotors.

Bottom Line:
    They came on my bike and they work good, I got some of the red dh pads put in and they works good, Just take care of them and they take good car of you.

Favorite Trail:   b12

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   hayes, avid, hope, gremica

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher level betty done up for downhill

Submitted by Patrick from CT

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Strengths:    Still have brakes if you bend the rim. Anti-lock.

Weaknesses:    The anti-lock isn't ment to be it just is on mine(cuz they suck. These suck. They have no power, my 6 year old mongoose with cantilevers has more power. They squeal like a pig. If they get wet you dont have brakes anymore.

Bottom Line:
    What a waste of metal these are, just don't buy them.

Favorite Trail:   any one with down hill

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   '99 Marin Rock springs(Marin I'm disappointed that you put these on your bikes).

Submitted by Ian Gilbert a Weekend Warrior from Glossop

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap - I guess. Excellent customer support from Diatech.

Weaknesses:    Even after the wearing in period these brakes were a real dissapointment. The cantilever brakes on my old rigid Pacific XT were superior to these! The rear brake has never at any time had the power to lock up the back wheel. These brakes have alsways rubbed and the floating calipers do not appear to 'float'. The front disc warped so severely on the first proper down hiil that it forced the caliper bolts onto the spokes! Diatech customer support were very good and sent a replacment front disc quickely. However, after several trips to my local bike shop to try and give these brakes some decent stopping power they are still inadequate and I have given up. These brakes are about o be 'retired' in favour of some proper Hope disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
    Brakes are important!! buy decent ones that work properly!

Favorite Trail:   Edale Cross, Kinder

Similar Products Used:   Only comparisons are with mates bikes who can always stop before me!

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift Zone, setup for XC.

Submitted by Pritch a Weekend Warrior from Bristol

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    Initially, after bedding in, it was good, but...

Weaknesses:    it hasn't stood up to the test of time. I fel an Avid Mechanical coming on...

Bottom Line:
    OK. If you look below you'll see I've given these disks a fair bit of praise. I thought mine was fine after I'd shown it the proper respect. But my bike is now nearly two years and the brakes with it and they're failing me.

It USED to be better than my Avid rim on the rear, it is now embarrasingly worse. My local tech guy says the pads are not worn, despite their age, because I mostly use my rear V. He says they're just crap, and I'm beginning to agree.

The other day I had fifty metres to stop going downhill on TARMAC at 25 mph approx and I had trouble stopping, this is in the dry.

The Avid mechanical is the way forward I think. It's now very cheap and I'm getting it, you'll see my review soon enough. As for these, I think you should not have to go through a products lifetime having to tinker with it endlessly for better performance than the standard, which by comparison isn't very good. Ho-hum...

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Similar Products Used:   I've tried bikes with Hopes: they kick ass, and your bank account

Bike Setup:   stock Marin Nail Trail '99

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Christchurch NZ

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    None that I can see

Weaknesses:    Where do you start?

Bottom Line:
    These brakes are completely useless. Do NOT buy them. If they are on the bike ask for them to be changed. I've followed all the instructions on the Diatech website and still they are pathetically weak. Any set of V brakes will have lots more power than these pieces of junk. I'm going to bin it soon and try an Avid mechanical disc.

Favorite Trail:   Bottle Lake Forest

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   V brakes

Bike Setup:   1999 GT LTS

Submitted by Matt a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Strengths:    Extremely cheap and simple enough that a drunk monkey could figure out how they work.

Weaknesses:    The don't stop well at all (even after wear in period), very difficult to get running drag free, they are cable actuated, cables should actuate cantilevers, not disc calipers. The "floating" caliper doesn't float, even when we've worked on them a ton.

Bottom Line:
    Do not buy these. Do not accept them if they are given too you. I do not wish these brakes on my worst enemies. They are very difficult to get working correctly after you have put any miles on them. They are not powerful at all, they will not live up to your expectations, if you have V's, stick with them and save your money to get a sweet hydraulic setup from a company that knows what they are doing like Hayes, Magura, or Shimano. You won't be dissappointed like you will with these.

Purchased At:   I'm a mechanic, I didn't buy em, but I've spent much time working with them.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, HOPE, Magura disc and rim, Shimano Disc and V's and cantilevers, Avid Disc and V's and catilevers, IBC, CODA Disc and Rim, Tektro, Star Hydraulic V's.

Bike Setup:   4-banger frame, Hayes Discs, Profiles Cranks, Race Face Rings, all set up for havin' a good time.

Submitted by Nick Sparks a Weekend Warrior from Wotton-under-Edge, England

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    satys clear of mud, front brake good

Weaknesses:    rear brake needs "grip of iron"

Bottom Line:
    These brakes seem OK, but the rear needs a big handful to slow you down. when I got the bike, it was so weak it was impossible to lock the rear wheel - even my 9 year old son's bike could do that! However, after a good 3-4 hours of tinkering, and speaking to El Marko at Dia Tech,and changing the rear and front pads around, the rear is now much better, but still not as strong as I would expect. I have ordered some "green pads" from my LBS and hope that they will make it better on the back. The best bit is the clearance from the mud - last time I was out the mud was inches deep, and the guys with rim brkes were struggling, so at least the performance is consistant. The front is so much better than the rear, I went over the bars in graceful slow motion when I grabbed too much front to avoid a chain that a kind land owner had fitted across the track! Overall, a good front brake, but slightly disappointing on the rear. I'll persevere though, as I hate to be beaten by anything mechanical.

I'd recommend these brakes to someone who likes the idea of discs, but doesn't want to mess about with hydraulic fliud and can't afford the price that Hope etc. charge.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   v-brakes

Bike Setup:   stock '99 Marin Attack Trail

Submitted by Clint Par a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Strengths:    It has awsome stopping power with the green pads i bought. They are easy to adjust and stop on a dime and seem to get better with time(I`m a poet and i dont even know it)

Weaknesses:    They are a piece of junk when out of the box, so straight away i changed to green pads and boy do they bite.

Bottom Line:
    There a great value for money brake with a heap of braking power, and have a better feel than hydrolics because they dont just lock up and rip at ur disc ( us moto riders would know)! and i recommened them to any cross country rider and four the light downhiller

If u have the money go for Shimano dual piston calipers they fell awsome cause i just got one!

Favorite Trail:   Dandenongs national park

Purchased At:   Magic bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Umm Shimanos and Hopes

Bike Setup:   A Giant Atx with Bomber Z-1 forks

Submitted by Don Finnagen a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2000

Strengths:    looks ok

Weaknesses:    the disc bends very easily and it dosn't work very well.

Bottom Line:
    I have tried every new type of pads with it but its just too weak so im saving up for some Magura HS33. The V on the back is better! you shouldn't buy it if you are a trials rider but its ok for cross country.

Favorite Trail:   anything really

Purchased At:   www.supercycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   avid 1.9 v's

Bike Setup:   ddg shooter and bomber Z.4's

Submitted by muzz a Cross Country Rider from nelson nz

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    easy to look after, keeps itself very clean, sexy looking, cheap as buggerey

Weaknesses:    rear has no stopping power, fad very fast

Bottom Line:
    started out great but then the rear really started to suck, I tried everything, new pads, stronger cable, bigger balls, nothing worked so I threw a set of LX's with xtr pad's and now I'm laughing. The front has been alright, alot to do with length of cable I think. Tried a set of hope's on another bike just to see the difference,, sex on wheels if you got the doe that is, if you an't got the doe then these will do.

Similar Products Used:   v 's

Bike Setup:   Marin rock springs, now with LX v's on the rear, so I can live to see another day

Submitted by John "The bear" Reyes a Cross Country Rider from Austin,Tx

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    Simplicity of design,stopping POWER(!!!),excellent modulation(its not all or nothing,they actually have alot of"middle")they seem to get better the more I ride them!

Weaknesses:    You must be patient and break the pads in!A couple of easy rides and that will do it.

Bottom Line:
    I did my homework ,as this is my first "real " mountain bike and was surprised to here about all of the troubles these brakes have had.With the info in my hand and the trials and tribulations of others in my head,I set out to follow every suggestion given to me.These brakes have earned my trust and respect after I got them dialed to where I like them.I am 240 lbs. of x-football player that can descend stuff ,that I sometimes wonder if Ill survive,with full confidence that I will stop when I need to.These are vastly superior to v's and wont just lock you up and send you out of control.They actually have a smooth "power band"to them.(anyone who rides motorcycles "knows" what Im talking about.)Final thoughts? Set them up rt., take your time and burn in the brakes,clean & lube them and they will never fail you.I personally love them and trust them with my life.(every time I ride!) PEACE!

Favorite Trail:   Austin city greenbelt

Similar Products Used:   all forms and makes of v's to old style canti's.Tried a set of hayes on a test ride.

Bike Setup:   stock Raleigh M-600,judy xc,easton risers,excaliber wheels & rims(discs),Diatech spiral stop discs, etc.,etc.,.

Submitted by Mike Lamarche a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Strengths:    This is a repost see below.

Weaknesses:    This is a repost see below.

Bottom Line:
    I just got the new calipers from El Marko. I must give him props because I haven't totally broken them in yet and they don't stick, have better brake modulation, and much better stopping power than the old calipers. These brakes work so well, they can actually through you off your bike if you lay into them enough. I do not think I will ever be worrying about not having enough stopping power under any weather conditions. El Marko contacted me through my review and within a week later, I had new calipers and excellent setup instructions. Its a rear occurance for a company to treat their customers as well as Dia Tech has. I must give this company an 'A' for customer support and satisfaction. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants to upgrade from their 'V' brake system.

Bike Setup:   stock 2000 raleigh m8000