Avid XX Disc Brake System

1.94/5 (31 Reviews)

Avid's XX Disc Brake is a super lightweight brake that takes the best Avid technologies and eliminates any excess. This includes everything from the lever to the caliper. This includes Avid features like Power Reserve. The Carbon levers pivot point is close to the bars for easy and natural...

Submitted by TransBR

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2014

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Horrible modulation, serious shutter and noise. Just plain bad!

Bottom Line:
Nothing new with this review after looking at all the others. SRAM should be embarrassed to offer these things to the public, especially as a "high end" product. Just plain garbage that should be OEM units on Walmart Huffy's. That is exactly what type of quality you get with them. Tried everything to make them work half decent, no luck. Terrible modulation and shutter until they just lock the wheel up. Racing with them is damn dangerous.

Purchased a very high end XC bike that came with them, now further investment must be made to get the thing to slow/stop properly with a proper brake set.

Come on SRAM/Avid you guys can do better than this.

Submitted by ron

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2014

Strengths:    look nice, lightweight, integrated with XX shifters

Weaknesses:    2012 model, came stock on my Scott scale SL. Pressure drops after few hours of use.

Bottom Line:
After bleeding them twice, I was done. Bike shop told me these brakes are crap and give trouble all the time. I am back to my 2008 Hope Mono mini X2 pros which are perfect (except for the squealing in wet conditions).

Submitted by brickwallmusic a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2014

Strengths:    Look Great
Feel nice
Lots of adjustments can be made

Weaknesses:    Super noisy
Lots of chattering

Bottom Line:
Got these things to replace some Shimano XTR's that I had, got a sweet deal on them. I had Avid brakes before and I knew they were noisy but didn't expect their top of the line (at the time) brakes to be noisy and chattery and feel awful when going down a hill. The rotors never stay true and I'm constantly playing with them and adjusting them, and trying to get them back to being nice, which I don't think is possible...

Bottom line, I think that the callipers and brake levers are fine, but their rotors are so F#@$%^G awful! But you pretty much have to use them, it seems!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek EX 9.0

Submitted by Mark Swofford

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2014

Strengths:    It's light, looks cool, reasonably progressive.

Weaknesses:    Mechanically it's garbage. Doesn't provide much stopping power especially during wet conditions, squeals, grinds, shudders and makes other sounds we don't have words for wet or dry. The shop has working on them at least 50 times, adjusting, bleeding, whatever, I can't watch them anymore. Out of the box the pads barely worked at all and needed 10 mins of bedding in to provide safe braking. I've had it. I'm taking them back today and getting XTRs.

Bottom Line:
The worst part is they won't stay adjusted, free of air bubbles or work without problems consistently. They are by far the highest maintenance item on the two high end frames I have them on (Orbea Alma Carbon, Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon). My other Orbea (Occam Carbon) has XTRs and I can leave them for a year and they work flawlessly without needing any work, all the time every time. This is the fourth set of XX brakes I've had and they all have the same problems.

Submitted by Ronnie Belcastro

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2013

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Bloody noise and shudder.

Bottom Line:
I have 2012 model and its a shame that these xx brakes are not up to the same standard as the rest of the xx range, consistently they need bleeding which is a long drawn out process and even then you can have a worse brake than when you started, very anoying. Based on their brakes of which I have two bikes with similar setup, I will now switch back to Shimano for next bike as I know there equipment works.

Submitted by CanmoreC a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2013

Strengths:    Lite weight
Carbon
Adjustable
Good looking

Weaknesses:    Expensive if purchased new
Need a lot of adjustment to get correctly dialled in

Bottom Line:
Been riding these on my giant trance x29er (customer build).

Used to riding shimano hydraulics for ever, and wanted to try Avids product. So far I have mixed reviews. I love their clean lines, weight and adjustability. But am having problems building up pressure to get the fast stopping power I enjoy. Need some more fine tuning to get them right I guess. I try not to mess with the callipers as they are very finicky.

Thanks

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance x29er frame
XX1 component group
Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels
Time xc carbon 8 pedals
Race face Csix bars
fizik tundra saddle w/ easton heaven carbon seat post
Nobby Nics

Submitted by Chad A Dally a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Sleek styling, Carbon Lever

Weaknesses:    NOISE!!!

Bottom Line:
I have had 2011 XX, 2012 XX, and the new 2013 XX. All replaced to the newer year under warranty. I cannot keep these things quiet. When you ride a $10k carbon bike and people look at you like you are a turkey herder, there is a problem. Recently told by SRAM tech staff "I shouldn't have switched to the organic pads as a replacement without also replacing the rotors, as the other material will make noise." Really? Publish this stuff online or in manuals. Officially tired of SRAM and AVID. After the terrible attitudes by their mobile team at Dirtfest in PA, only interested in selling new, not helping a customer who has an entire XX build, I am stripping my S-Works Epic 29er XX edition and making it a Shimano XTR bike. Thanks for wasting my time and money SRAM, but you just lost a loyal customer. Everyone who may want a good deal. Look for my stuff on ebay.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   2013 Specialized S Works EPIC 29er XX

Submitted by Rob Hester a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Strengths:    These brakes look really great. They came stock on my S-Works Epic so they go with the entire XX package that came on the bike.

Weaknesses:    Adjustments galore, but painful to get them dialed in. I wont remove my front wheel from the fork ever once I get the front to ride rub free or it take me 15-20 minutes to get it back aligned. The pistons appear to stick and are not rugged.

Bottom Line:
Maybe I am spoiled. I had Magura SL on my S-Works Stumpjumper. They were the best brakes ever, although the XTRs on my 2004 Stumpjumper were also troublefree for 4 years. The XX disc brakes are horrible. I took the rear brake to my LBS and $90 later they returned it to me and said "sorry, we bled the brakes and the rear brake is still spongy". They bled it 3 times and the brake pads will not release when you let off the brake lever. The piston is stuck. Th eLBS said it would be less expensive to buy a whole new brake (lever, hose and caliper with pads) assembly versus trying to rebuild it. So I bought a brand new assembly and 1 year later, same problem. SRAM wont replace it under warranty either. I am going to throw them in the garbage and buy some Magura SL. Magura cost a lot but only $100 more than these silly things. Stay away from XX brakes folks. Go with XTR or Magura. That's my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali National Forest

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Similar Products Used:   Magura SL, XTR brakes

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized EPIC S-Works

Submitted by tom

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2012

Strengths:    Avid warranty- They acknowledged issues with this run of brakes a replaced them with 2013 XX model at no charge. They are nice!

Weaknesses:    Weak seals led to fluid loss

Bottom Line:
Buy from a company that stands behind thier products, good, bad or in this case excellent.

Submitted by DesertJockey a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight. Good modulation and power when they're working.

Weaknesses:    Poor reliability. Needs bleed several times/year.

Bottom Line:
I thought it was just me until I read all the reviews here. After 2 seasons of weekend warrior XC/endurance riding the front brake has no power. The lever goes to the bar on every ride, no matter how thorough the bleed procedure. SRAM said they need to be overhauled every 2-3 years, as if I shouldn't be surprised. At this price I can not recommend these brakes. Will be moving to XTR.

Favorite Trail:   S. Boundary Trail, Taos

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 7s- NEVER needed bleeding!

Bike Setup:   GF Superfly 100 Full XX

Submitted by Elvis K

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight. The carbon lever feels better than metal.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Rear is noisy and barely works.

Bottom Line:
I have had these brakes 1 month. I was talked into them by the shop employee who loved them. The rear just doesn't work well at all and is really noisy and shuddery. Feel is what I was trying to get out of these and it just isn't there. I really regret this purchase more than anything else I have bought in years, but to have just dropped $400 and then need to replace them is outrageous. AVID you reading this? You owe me some brakes that work. I have to say this, I'm faster because of them, because I hate to use them I'm braking less. These things were a fortune and suck.

Submitted by blahblahx a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    You can't mount your dropper shifter and brake on one clamp.

Weaknesses:    Pistons stick need to bleed monthly or more. Replaced original under warranty. LBS couldn't bleed them. Second set same problem. Constant bleeding. Really fun when 15 miles out with no rear brake and have 20 miles to go. Front and rear piston occasionally stick.

Bottom Line:
Good for learning how to bleed brakes. Not for use on a real bike

Similar Products Used:   magura, shimano, formula

Submitted by T.rhees a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Everthing else

Bottom Line:
These brakes are a high dollar nightmare. Failed on a race... Dislocated finger / elbow contusion. Over way expensive and a horrible design.

Submitted by Craig Morris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    Good stopping power (when the lever doesn't go to the bar) and light.

Weaknesses:    Had them for about a year in which time they were bled 12 times. I found that 20 hours or riding was all that it takes to get air in the system and you then need to have to bleed them again.

Bottom Line:
I cannot recommend these brakes to anyone. I finally got rid of them after a year and am super happy I did. I was always riding with extra caution not knowing when the levers would go to the bar, drove me crazy. Please stay away.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Tustin, CA, Orange County

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Constant pad rub, pads wear out quickly, have to pump to keep pressure up while riding, expensive.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are a joke for the money they cost. The calipers stick constantly, pad rub on every ride and if I don't pump them after every downhill they go to the bars. Based on the huge amount of horrible reviews and the high cost Avid should have issued a total recall of this junk. I wonder if they monitor this site? Hello Avid!

Favorite Trail:   Chutes "A" Line Santiago Oaks