Avid Juicy Ultimate Disc Brake System

3.66/5 (56 Reviews)

LikeThe name says - designedTo beThe ultimate hydraulic disc brake. Light, high-performance, and with cool features like a carbon lever blade,There isnt much else you could ask for.The caliper bodies are a forged, one-piece monoblok design and use AvidsTri-Align caliper positioning system for simple setup. WheresThe knob?This brake does away withThe large contact point adjustment knob youve seen on other Juicy brakes ( a weight-saving concession). Instead, you simply use a 2.5mm hex key (which a

Submitted by Victor Strong

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Strengths:    Great stopping power. Some of the best modulation of any brake I've tried - waaay better than the on/off feel of shimano. Very lightweight. Everything is adjustable. Carbon fiber lever does not get cold in the winter. These are top tier brakes designed to last for decades - can be fully rebuilt.

Weaknesses:    Need to be bled using special avid procedure. Because everything is adjustable, you can greatly vary the tune of the way the brake behaves and subsequently performs. If you are competent, then none of this is an issue.

Bottom Line:
Simply put, these brakes are amazing. They are a high level brakset which requires attention to get them dialed. Most people have no idea what they are doing which results in a poorly performing brake. Once I bled them and dialed in the settings that worked for me, there wasn't a single brake on the market that could touch them.

Submitted by Bob Gurgel

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    They stop.

Weaknesses:    Too many to list.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are poorly made and as the top of the line Avid product at the time, I'm disappointed. I would look toward Magura which will be my next purchase. I am an daily rider and find these to be poorly designed, noisy, dragging, and all around a poor brake.

Submitted by Rob Johnson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2012

Strengths:    Good modulation, light weight, nice quality. Easy to adjust. They look good

Weaknesses:    They do not use mineral oil. Mineral oil is a bit more user friendly to work with.

Bottom Line:
I have not had a bad experince with these brakes after 3 years of solid use. There are alot of knob jockeys complaining about these brakes. For example, how the f++k do you give an accurate review of some brakes you bought second hand on Ebay Ant from Australia? You knocker! & you have them only on the front with v brakes on the back? Genius! & to the moron who bled his own brakes & had debris in the fluid, how the f++k is that a fault of Avid you backyard hack? Take it to the bike shop & get the job done properly! Who buys Ultimates & can not afford maintenance??

Duration Product Used:   3 years minimum

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT & XTR 2008 & 09. Hayes also.

Bike Setup:   I had these on my Intense then transferred them onto my 07 Stumpjumper, then on my 08 Stumpjumper Pro

Submitted by Beejmena a Cross Country Rider from BC

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2011

Strengths:    - Low maintenance
- works well
- lightweight

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
These brakes were on the bike when I got it on 2008. I ride all year round in Squamish, NS and Whistler, average about 50+ kms per week of tech XC trails in all conditions. I maintain my bike myself, have had to do a lot of adjustments to everything - except these brakes! They have performed excellently since day-1 and just keep going for over 3 years now. I am on the 4th set of pads, but have never had to bleed or do anything but tune rotors and change pads. Only noisy when wet, and only then occasionally. Cannot understand those who say pads are hard to change (???).

Favorite Trail:   Plunge, Credit Line

Similar Products Used:   Hayes nine, Stroker Trails, Shimano Deore, Tektro

Bike Setup:   Spec 08 Stumpjumper Expert

Submitted by zx7rrrush a Cross Country Rider from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    Light,Very Strong (AVID Juicy Ultimate)

Weaknesses:    Brakes make noise if wet or slightly dusty.

Bottom Line:
Brakes worth the price if you use them what they were designed for.

Favorite Trail:   MISC

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   TREK 7 SERIES, ROCK SHOX REVELATION, AVID JUICY ULTIMATE FRONT/REAR

Submitted by palerider a Cross Country Rider from nm

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2011

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Lets see, how bout stops working in middle of a big downhill leaving no front brake!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I could of got a bb7 but nooooo I have to get the hydro cause it what the cool kids have. Avid take this p.o.s. and stick it in your arse.

Similar Products Used:   bb7 hayes

Bike Setup:   this turd of a brake on front v brake on back

Submitted by simmonsgsmooth a Cross Country Rider from kidderminster

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    Compact brake, reversible design, reasonable weight

Weaknesses:    Weak Lever, high maintenance, expensive new

Bottom Line:
Reasonable brake to buy secondhand, but expect to do a bit of bleeding here and there.

Similar Products Used:   Hope Tech M4, Avid Juicy 3, Magura Marta Mag, XT

Bike Setup:   XTR Turner flux with Magura Marta Brakes, Crossmax SLR Wheels, Thomson and Hope Sparkly bits.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2011

Strengths:    It stops the bike.

Weaknesses:    Must be a godd deal from the Avid manufacturers for Specialized. These things work well, when they work, but only after much effort. Changing pads needs a workshop and you need to bleed them each time. Getting pads in and out is hard, even with the bleeding and instructions. Adjustment required every few months to prevent the additional friction of the front brake on the front disc.

I guess my main problem is the comparison with my Shimano Deore breaks, and now with SLX, which have replaced the Avid. Both of these feel bomb proof, and require little maintenance. When maintenance is required, it's fairly straight forward, and does not require the sort of black art of the Avids. Sure the Avid's feel more direct at the start of braking, but after a few rides, thedifference is forgotten, and you have to jump on and off bikes with the different brakes to remember. And the Avids leak, and the synthetic oil sucks water.....

Damn things jammed fast and threw me over the handlebars. Could've been a stone got stuck in there.... but given other experiences, my confidence is diminished.

Those of you out there who have had great experiences, lucky you. From my point of view, a return to Shimano with the SLX has broght back riding with no 'bonus friction' from the front brake and an ability to change pads with impunity. I spent 3 months riding another bike rather than even try...

Bottom Line:
MAintenance is painful, given the frequency required; changing pads; bleeding should not need done so often; pistons should not need played with so much.

Use these if 1. they came with the bike and you forgot to ask for something else 2. you have no choice, they are still better than V-Brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Broadcairn

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore, Shimano SLX, Hope Mono

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper

Submitted by Ant a Cross Country Rider from australia

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2010

Weaknesses:    Had to bleed the system twice in the first month fluid was full of debris. Rear calliper failed at 330km, has to fully replaced?

Bottom Line:
I will never touch avid again. Luckily the catastrophic leak from the rear calliper happened after a ride when I was testing the breaks for a spongy feel, just completed some big downhills. Fluid everywhere, I feel a luck man.

Can I place a -1 rating please

Favorite Trail:   any where in the outback

Bike Setup:   Scott Ex racing

Submitted by Steve Calsavara a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2010

Strengths:    Nice compact design.An attention to detail,well built and made to last I hope. Reading the negitive reviews isn't that promising hopefully they are few and fare between.Also hope the manufacturer stands behind their product with good or exceptional customer service. Hint Hint.

Weaknesses:    Had to be bled right out of the box whoever did this job at the time of the manufacturing process should be fired,I'm a mechanical brake guy who switched to hydralic for the performance side of the coin hope I'm not disapointed.The resivoir should be redesigned so that when the the brake handle is in it's neutral positionon the handlebar, the resivior is facing straight up next to the handle bar. Then you would truely have a easy to service brake fluid/bleeding service adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Yes I would recommend these brakes to a friend,they work as good as they look.I sure hope I don't have the problems that some of the other people have complained about in this product review survey. If I can help anybody with answering any questions regarding how hydralic cylinders/master and calipers work please feel free to Email me at stevec1@hotmail.com.

Favorite Trail:   Malden Park Trail

Purchased At:   Ebay BDH Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Hayes mechanical disc brakes.also Tektro mech disc brakes.

Bike Setup:   Marin. Mount Vision 5.6 mountain bike

Submitted by Dab a Weekend Warrior from Southern NH

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, stopping power, looks, not bulky, easy to adjust, very little noise once properly adjusted. Rotors are easy to adjust if bent too! Running for two years now and have not had to bleed once.

Bottom Line:
For aggressive XC/AM style riding, these fit me perfect. I'm on the lighter side at 165 (175 with all gear) so that also factors I'm sure. These brakes have been pure bliss coming off of an older pair of Hayes.

Favorite Trail:   Most of them