Avid Juicy Three Disc Brake System

2.76/5 (126 Reviews)
Weight : 404 grams MSRP : $76.49

The tasty looks and comfy feel of the super-light lever. Avid Juicy 3 Disc Brake so good at so many things that it's hard to even put in a category like cross country or all mountain.

Submitted by julian a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2015

Strengths:    Better than cable discs I guess.

Weaknesses:    Weak brakes no power.

Bottom Line:
These came on my bike, they're a few years old. I'm running them with 203mm rotors. There is no bite and the levers will happily go back to the bars. I've changed pads, cleaned the rotors, bled them and they are set up and centred correctly. They are by far the worst hydraulic brakes I've ever owned.

Similar Products Used:   hope, avid elixir, formula

Bike Setup:   iron horse sunday

Submitted by RockShoxSektor a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2015

Strengths:    Cheap
Lever feel
Pad life

Weaknesses:    Average stopping power
Screached when braking
"Warbled" when riding at high speeds

Bottom Line:
The good:
Well they're hydraulic at least. Lever had a good feel to it with solid feedback. I had them on my bike for about a year and never bled them. Pad life was exceptional as well.

The bad:
High speeds caused the entire bike to vibrate and produced a terrible "warble" noise.
I spent hours attempting to adjust the brakes. They would just go back to "warbling." This was mostly because of the terrible caliper design. The pistons never fully reset like they should.
Stopping power was average. I never had a problem with it, but that's because I was riding mostly aggressive XC. Downhill guys should look elsewhere.
The calipers screached when braking. Horrendous noise that would scatter any wildlife within a quarter mile.

I did not attempt to throw any money into trouble shooting these guys. I sold the set and upgraded all together.
They'll stop your bike, but they aren't the best at doing it. It appears the guys that "really" enjoy the brakes are the ones that have them on their stock rig. No one buys Juicy's and has anything good to say about them.

Bottom line, look elsewhere.

Submitted by Michael

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2014

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Not reliable, loud, make a lot of vibration

Bottom Line:
I got these brakes on my Santa Cruz blur lt back when I bought the bike. From the start I had problems with them. They were always rubbing and we're getting really warm fast. Now the rubbing problem is better but they still get warm fast and now they are loud as can be. And the stoping power just gets worst and worst every ride. Just weak and poor all around. I have been told that I should upgrade to Shimano XT or SLX brakes and I'm going to and hopefully it will be soon.

Submitted by Brandon Woods a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2013

Strengths:    Great stopping power, easy to maintain, and great price.

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
It's funny how many poor reviews are given by people that obviously have no clue how to fix their own brakes. These are super easy maintain, and work excellent wet or dry. (Easily will flip you over the handlebars if you slam on them!) These bad boys came pre-installed on my 2011 Trek Xcalibur, and they are still going strong! I've had to bleed them once, due to a snagged line that caught on an obstacle, and tore it off, but with the avid brake bleeding kit, this was a simple job for one person to do. Took me approx. 15 mins, and I've never done it before. Technical people will find it easy to follow the directions and have this done in no time. Other than that, amazing stopping power even after 600+ miles on the bike through all types of mud and streams, etc... I would definitely recommend these to anyone wanting to get into disk brakes at a good price level. Yes there are better systems out there, but not even close to this price range.

Favorite Trail:   Pipeline @ emigration canyon

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   Highland Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I have not used other systems, as they are very expensive, and these still work great, so I have no reason to upgrade yet....

Bike Setup:   Stock 2011 Trek Xcalibur.

Submitted by Bill

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2013

Strengths:    see below:

Weaknesses:    see below:

Bottom Line:
I've used these on my bike for almost 2 years. The only problem I've had is that they occasionally chatter/growl. A new set of pads ($15) solves it.

Submitted by Lauren4c a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2013

Strengths:    They worked ok for a year and a half.

Weaknesses:    These brakes came stock on my Trek Fuel. They worked fine for a while, but recently I have been having problems constantly with them: I have to frequently realign the brake pads on the front rotor - they rub and squeal a lot. And my rear brake just took a crap. It's been bled multiple times, I replaced the small parts of the lever and it can still be pulled all the way to the bars. No idea what's wrong with it and they are getting replaced ASAP. They worked ok for me for about a year and a half, but they just aren't reliable and are turning into a headache. I give up on these.

Bottom Line:
There are better brakes out there, I just know it.

Submitted by briangelc a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2013

Strengths:    Good when they are working correctly

Weaknesses:    SQUEAK! they make my bike unrideable. no lever reach adjustment

Bottom Line:
I struggled with these for years. squeak. They came with my new GiantXTC in 2010. squeak. They caused so much vibration, that Giant replaced the bike frame with a new 2012 XTC frame. They squeaked less on cross country trails. But when I went to the moutains they Howled, and sqeaked mercelessly all the way down the mountain, especially when using lightwieght rotors. I was told for years to get Shimano XT disc brakes to solve the problem. I finally did. I wish I had done it years ago. I do not understand why Juicy3s make so much noise and vibration, and Shimano XTs do not.

Favorite Trail:   Kitsuma, Old Fort, NC

Duration Product Used:   3years

Purchased At:   Giant dealer

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB7 - love those
Shimano XT hydraulic disc brakes - AWESOME

Bike Setup:   2012 Giant XTC 1 frame with 2010 gear on it -except replaced Juicy3 with Shimano XT

Submitted by Morals

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Nice pop, look sharp, reliable

Bottom Line:
I love these brakes, personally. That's because I have had good luck with mine. They trump the balls off the Craplixir 5's I just replaced.

Submitted by Joe Hall a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    A lot of grip for your money. Work well when wet. Low maintenance. Smooth. Very easy to install new pads.
Have had these brakes for three years, and not had to service or bleed them once, and still as strong as the day I got them.

Weaknesses:    Not encountered any problems as of yet.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are excellent. I honestly don't see how they get a bad rap.
If you want a hydraulic disc break for a very reasonable price, get a pair of these. You won't be disappointed.

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Submitted by Nick Heaphy

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Constant rubbing.
Have to be bled frequently as in every 2 weeks.
Just plain shi*house.

Bottom Line:
Absolute crap, do not buy. I've had these braked bled 4 times in the past year and a half. They go strong for about 2 weeks then back to pulling all the way to the grip. I have changed the hoses and pads many times and still no difference. Please im begging you do not buy these brakes, get some shimano xt's on special or something similar.

Submitted by Jimmy

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Not mechanical, nice levers

Weaknesses:    No adjustment and constant rubbing. I found the biggest issue to be the mounting system, way too may washers and rounded washers coupled with more washers. I swear there are like six per mounting screw. Getting these things aligned is a miricle. Getting them to stay aligned is a whole separate miricle. I nearly went nuts trying to get them to stop making noise. My bike came stock with a 203 in the front, made for a horribly noisy combo. I feel bad selling these to someone! Needless to say, these were my first disc brakes, so I was impressed by the stopping power. Now I've tried several kinds, and they are just ok. Wet, forget it.

Bottom Line:
Decent hydros, nothing special, super noisy.

Submitted by ericrox

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Solid brakes for first year.

Weaknesses:    On a ride they blew a seal in the lever and locked on. I flipped the calipers around and went without front brakes. Pain in the ass to find parts to rebuild.

Bottom Line:
Overall it's an okay brake. I liked there stopping power and seemed easy to maintain until the seal slipped or broke in the lever. Only $10 online but shipping times are all a pain in ass and bike was out for 2 weeks.

Submitted by Wade

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    Low maintenance and very easy to install and maintain. No performance change in the cold (5 degree F Christmas ride)

Weaknesses:    They don't stop me as well as cable driving Avid or Juicy XX. When I hammer the brake I mean to skid to a stop and these do not do that See Summary about squealing.

Bottom Line:
I have a carbon hard tail I built from scratch. I ride in the Midwest and I'm hard on bikes to begin with. I like downhills, hard turning and jumping. I'm not a light rider at 290lbs but other brake systems have been able to stop me. These are good for the price but I need to upgrade so I can feel more comfortable going faster. Yes, mine squealed early on. I loosened the mounting bolts, squeezed the brake and held it while I re-tightened the bolts and they self align with no squealing now. My guess is they are being installed at a slight angle for them not to self align, just a thought anyway. I put 1200 miles on the first set of pads before I had to change them. I think they will work fine on my 10 yo sons Trek and that's where they are going.

Purchased At:   blueskycycling.com

Submitted by GT Edinburgh

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Strengths:    cheap, look good, once they are set up correctly and properly maintained they work great, had mine for two years,bled them once,no brake squeel,one finger braking no problem, look after them and they will look after you.....

Weaknesses:    none so far mine have been great

Bottom Line:
good enough for most but if you are a serious downhiller then go for something more powerfull

Submitted by Anthony a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2012

Strengths:    They worked fine for the first week.

Weaknesses:    Noise, fade, weak front response.

Bottom Line:
I just bought a 2010 Trek fuel 7 new two weeks ago from this post. The first week on hydros coming from BB7's on a hard tail and my first thought was this is different. The BB7's had plenty of adjustability, the Avids don't. From day three on these brakes I started to get rub. Took the water bottle and gave them a shot and the noise went away for about a mile them came back. Ok, no big deal. I do ride everyday, weather permitting, so this might be to much for these things. Makes no sense to me they should start to falter so soon. I ride the bike like it was designed to be riden. Today I really took a ride from dirt, tacky mud, sand, and some paved trails and holy loud ! I literally called a turkey out of the woods ! To keep the cost down on bikes is the thing to do, but the brakes seem to be a bad chioce on a bike that is'nt top dollar but sure was a expense to me. Needing to stop right now is essential to my riding routine, and I can't recommend "upgrading" to these unless your enjoying leisurely riding. I will be shopping for a more reliable set of brakes before i have a complete failure and I get dead.

Favorite Trail:   Carver lake, Battle creek