Avid Juicy Seven Disc Brake System

3.69/5 (312 Reviews)

Avid Juicy-7 Carbon Hydraulic Disc Brake: 2008 updated MC/lever with restyled aluminum body, carbon lever blade and red aluminum PCP adjuster knob: 30g lighter (no 203mm kit for 2008)

Submitted by rojomas

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2014

Strengths:    Good power, Good modulation, Easy to bleed

Weaknesses:    A little bulky. Can be noisy.

Bottom Line:
These brakes worked great for 6 years then all of a sudden the levers got sticky and wouldn't return to the open position. The odd thing is that both started doing it at the same time. I rebuilt both of them and for some reason they both remained sticky. Over all though, I more than got my money's worth out of them before they started acting up and were great brakes up until then.

Submitted by Josh a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    Where to start? Very nice lever feel, enough power necessary for DH (203mm rotors), left or right HS levers.
Contact pad ajust does work!

Weaknesses:    Washers are a little annoying. Bleeding is straight forward but a little fiddly. Special bleed kit needed. Bleeding required more often then shimano. They do tend to fade a little on very long and steep runs.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are rad to the power of sick. For best performance you'll have to bleed them and change pads at the same time (~once a year), but they have great lever feel (better then elixirs IMO), pad contact adjust is useful and powerful. Not as powerful as 4 pots, but for most of us more power then necessary.

Duration Product Used:   1 year.

Similar Products Used:   Avid elixir 5, R, CR. Shimano Saint m810, XT m785.

Submitted by NachtWolf a All Mountain Rider from Rochester, NY, United States

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Great braking power, adjustment knob DOES do something and I appreciate having it

Weaknesses:    Adjustment knob has gotten very stiff and often just destroys my fingers when I work with it. pad wear?

Bottom Line:
These brakes were the best of their time but I don't suggest paying more than $100 for these now (considering all the new products available). People may say that the adjustment knob does nothing but this is a false statement. It does actually adjust contact, but it's not meant for course adjustments. It's a tool that you can use for fine adjustments AFTER aligning the pads and calipers to the discs, and adjust over time to account for wear. It takes a lot of turns to move the piston, and you may have trouble noticing a difference, but trust me, it's doing something.

This may be just me but I seem to be replacing pads every year. Perhaps I'm getting oil on the pads.

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Sole

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 3 2005, FOX Racing Shox 2010 32 TALAS RLC FiT, Avid Juicy 7 185mm rotos, WTB ExiWolf 2.3 race tires, Shimano MTB clipless w/ cage

Submitted by JR a Weekend Warrior from So Cal (USA)

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Strengths:    Powerful with good modulation.

Weaknesses:    Can get noisy, pad contact dial does virtually nothing, difficult to bleed.

Bottom Line:
As much as I like the power and feel, I have had problems keeping air out of the system. And bleeding is challenging. Some reviewers said bleeding is easy, but the easiest way I found to bleed them was to have my LBS do it. Syringes pushing and pulling brake fluid? I see many other MTB hydraulic disc systems bleed this way too, so maybe I'm just out of touch. I also had problems with the caliper pistons binding over time causing the pads to rub and squeak making my fellow riders want to run me off the trail. And the pad contact dial has never seemed to do anything at all. Good brakes, but mine have been finicky. And that silly pad contact dial looks cool enough, but I wish it did something.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Pro

Submitted by eleminohpee a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    These brakes work great and are a great value. Easy to isntall and set up, and the levers are comfortable and it all works with the SRAM matchmaker setup.

Weaknesses:    Kinda ugly, not that that really matters.

Bottom Line:
I would suggest these to anyone. Especially if you stay in the SRAM family and do the matchmaker setup. These have been around so long you could also find a great deal on a used set like I did, although in all fairness I have not tried bleeding them yet so not sure how that goes, although I did bleed my Reverb and that was no problem.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Bay

Purchased At:   Online Forum (used)

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB7s

Bike Setup:   Runing with centerlock 203s on a 2006 Specialized Enduro elite.

Submitted by toothoogre a Cross Country Rider from Sedona, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    Low maintenance. Great modulation. Great power Durable. Great value.

Weaknesses:    the pad adjustment does seem to do much if anything. Pads can be a bear to change on some calipers.

Bottom Line:
I've used these for years (5?). I started with Hayes and finally gave up because they were so hard to bleed. The Avids are a breeze to bleed. I ride in dry weather, so I get 7-8 months out of a set of sintered metal pads in the rear. I have to bleed every 6-8 months of riding every other day : 2000-3000 miles a year. These brakes are great. Low maintenance great stopping power. Great for a biker on a budget.

I can't say anything about serious heat dissipation since I don't DH. I'm 215# with gear on a 44# bike, so I take a lot of stopping. I use the 203 mm rotors.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Rocky

Purchased At:   ebay, oem, mtbr,

Similar Products Used:   Hayes

Bike Setup:   Turner sixpack and delirium t plus rockshox boxxers in beefy bomber mode (42 and 44# bikes)

Submitted by jellytronics a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth like hydraulic brakes should be. Decent stopping power. Pad contact adjustment.

Weaknesses:    Brake levers are held in place by a pin which over time wears and the levers begin to have play in them. Have yet to interfere with the operation of the brake system.

Bottom Line:
In 2+ years have never serviced them, changed the pads, or taken them apart for any reason. They came on my Motobecane from bikesdirect so the price isn't accurate. Great set of brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Tektro IO mechanical

Bike Setup:   32x20 SS Outcast 29er
Reba RLT 9mm
Hussefelt Risebar
Velocity Blunt Rims
Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 2.4 (gorilla tubeless)
180mm Front/160mm Rear rotor

Submitted by bikertime a Racer from Seoul, Korea

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Strengths:    Work Great in any condition. Easy set up and when they worked, they worked great. I loved them for a year. The something went wrong and couldn't get them straight again.

Weaknesses:    One day my bike fell over. After that, they began worbling and my front brakes made my whole front end start shaking hard. I rebuilt them and it continued. I finally got some XTRs.

Bottom Line:
They worked great until they got the shakes.

Favorite Trail:   Happy Hour

Similar Products Used:   BB5, BB7, XTR

Bike Setup:   29" front suspension Haro Mary

Submitted by DIck Hurts a Cross Country Rider from SF, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, Simple, Quiet (after some fiddling),

Weaknesses:    Some fiddling/set up

Bottom Line:
I do not know what all the whining is about. Yes owning a bleed kit is handy (once a year, maybe) after initial set up. Yes if you want better response first make sure you have big(er) rotors (think leverage). Yes one should learn how to true their rotors (as part of first set up) but man o man once these are set up I truly don't get what all the whining is about.

One trick I did was to mix one organic and one semi metallic pad per caliper, both quiet and great stop and great modulation. (hint put the semi metallic pad on the higher ware side. Again, once these are set up, use em and forget em, but if they are never right then guess what, they will never be right.

I am actually looking to put a smaller rotor on the rear as 203 is just more then needed

Favorite Trail:   Marin

Purchased At:   eBay used

Similar Products Used:   first Hydro and love them

Bike Setup:   Inbred, 200# SS 29er 203 f/r way more brake then I need.

Submitted by agabriell@hotmail.com a Weekend Warrior from Draper Utah

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    These brakes are awesome! I have used them for three plus year with no problems. They have great stopping power, modulation & adjustability. I have bled them a few times and the Avid system is the best and easiest to use.

Weaknesses:    None!!

Bottom Line:
These have been reliable for three years of heavy ridng.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em in Utah

Purchased At:   Stock on Yeti 575

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Nine.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Strengths:    Great deal, $70.00 each. Good stopping power for my usage. Look great on my bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I guess they were a little noisy when I first got them.

Bottom Line:
These brakes were an awesome deal I found to replace my Hayes Nines after I had an accident and I gotta say that they have been great. The stop perfectly and the little adjuster knob works pretty well when I am riding different trails and I want a different feel.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead Regional

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Nine, Shimano XT brakes, Shimano LX hydraulic.

Submitted by gearjunkie88 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    Cheaper than other hydraulic disc brakes

Weaknesses:    noisy, constant need for bleeding

Bottom Line:
I used these brakes for a couple of years. They were noisy (lots of grumbling noises, when dry or wet) and required bleeding quite often. It was quite annoying, but I thought this is just how hydraulic disc brakes were. When they were dialed-in they worked great. Good stopping power and 1 finger stopping power. With use, the bleed would wear off and the levers would eventually hit the handlebars, which required an annoying re-bleed. I have no idea what the red adjustment knob does. No matter which way or how many times I turned it, it never seemed to do anything. The pads would rub on the rotors some days, but on other days, they wouldn't. If you don't mind noisy brakes that are finicky, then these aren't bad.

Similar Products Used:   BB7, XX

Submitted by Mitch1960 a Weekend Warrior from Green Bay, Wi, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    Makes noise when I am stopping - a positive just in case I don't pick up on it.

Weaknesses:    Many - original pads fell out (rear) during a race. Replacement pads fell out a second time. High pitched whining sound when brakes are applied. difficult to install pads.

Bottom Line:
Love the bike, hate the brakes. Very disappointed overall - for a high end brake they didn't do their engineering right.

Favorite Trail:   Reforestation camp

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   On Trek Fuel EX9 Bik

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore hyraulic brakes

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 9EX

Submitted by Cheburashka a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    Reliable (fit and forget) once set up correctly, good modulation.

Weaknesses:    Noisy before I started using the purpose-made Klein torque arm (good luck finding one of those these days!) and organic pads. Can be a pain to initially install caliper to stop rotor drag, although admittedly no more difficult to Hayes brakes I've tried. Problems with rotor drag on rear at high speeds with 6" rotor (despite caliper being perfectly centred and rotor perfectly true - there must be some flex somewhere in my frame/hub etc): Rotor drag was completely cured with 140mm rotor, which also required purchase (for £6) of Avid caliper adaptor for 140mm rotor size.

Bottom Line:
Excellent brakes, would recommend. No problems with fluids/bleeding or piston retraction.