Avid Elixir R Disc Brake System

3.56/5 (90 Reviews)
Weight : 375 grams MSRP : $96.49

Pure, simple performance is what you can expect withThe Elixir R. ItfeaturesTaperBoreTechnology,Tool-free reach adjustment, Power ReserveGeometry,Tri-Align Caliper Positioning System, and drip-free bleedingjust like every AVID hydraulic disc brake. A great match forThe X7 family. 2 piston caliperTop loading pads AmbidextrousTool-free reach adjustmentTaperBoreTechnology Approximate weight 375 grams Include lever, caliper, rotor and hardware

Submitted by Curtis

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Strengths:    Umm well let's see. It worked for about a year until I went to have my bike tuned up. Turned out that my lbs said that it had to be warranted out due to an O-ring failure in the lever. So I guess props to SRAM/avid for sending out a new brake caliper assembly. Though it's replacement I saw a review on and isn't any better lol.

Weaknesses:    Oring went out, felt spongy even after bleed

Bottom Line:
Not the greatest out there. Was hoping for a little bit more from them.

Submitted by Gregory J Ceconi

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    The brakes will work when you pull the levers

Weaknesses:    Just about everything

Bottom Line:
These came spec'd on my 2009 Epic Expert Carbon and while a relatively light tire, they lose power quickly. After about 8 mos. I noticed that I could not lock the rear wheel. What the ???? 4 yrs. later now and I finally bled the system which did nothing at all. Then I read blogs on these brakes and found that the pistons in the caliper are notorious for freezing. Finally in frustration, I opened them up and popped them out with an air compressor. Sure enough, the piston sides had a slight groove cut in the side, which could account for the spotty braking performance. Sometimes you would hit the brakes and get nothing, then once in a blue moon you hit the rear and it would lock and actually have some power.
Ordered the new piston kit/seal kits for both and will give them a try. If you have to replace the pistons every year, then that's a little too much TLC IMO. Shimano or Magura here I come!

Submitted by Zachariah a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2013

Strengths:    ~Incredible, one-finger stopping power
~Precise, micro-modulation
~CPS mounting system does work - as long as your rotors are straight and CLEAN
~HS1 rotors are very light and dissipate heat well
~Extended descents are no problem
~Able to shorten hose length without bleeding
~Tool free lever adjust
~Lever bodies are reversible - to hide crash marks
~Matchmaker compatibility, with Rock Shox XLoc and Reverb seat dropper, with correct kit

Weaknesses:    ~Uses super-corrosive, DoT 5.1 brake fluid
~Not the lightest brakes
~Two-stage bleed procedure is not the simplest
~When they make noise....stand BACK!

Bottom Line:
I don't know why all the hate for Avid Elixir brakes. When setup correctly - they are quiet and stop on a dime. In fact, they stop so good....it is even applicable for DH/Freeride bikes. The real beauty is in the modulation. I come from being a longtime Magura Marta SL user, and there is no off/on lever feel, like the Magura. I went OTB on my first ride with them, disbelieving the power these have.

Keep them clean by wiping both rotors with alcohol and making sure the pads have as little dust as possible. I give them a quick shot of low-VOC automotive brake cleaner and they behave like Shimanos. The rotors MUST be flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow to avoid that Turkey warble. Combine one organic pad with a Sintered one for each side and wear will be great. I like these way better than the dangerous, ultra-light SRAM XX brakes - which compromises safety in the name of lightess.

I've tried nearly ALL mountain bike brakes, but I keep coming back to Avid Elixir because of price and they simply stop well. Don't neglect your brakes!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park(24hrs of Adrenalin Course)

Duration Product Used:   3 years

~Hayes Prime Pro

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro - 22 pounds of Trail rocket

Submitted by BikerBob

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2013

Strengths:    looks, feel, ease of mounting and aligning, no squeal

Weaknesses:    A lot of play in the lever and a bit spongey at first but after a few days of use and a pressured bleed, it worked like a dream.

Bottom Line:
This isn't a bad brake nor a great one, if you have a tight budget and looking for decent hydraulics your money can buy, have at it.

Submitted by Fernando Valasquez

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2013

Strengths:    Looks, maybe?

Weaknesses:    Everything.

Bottom Line:
Bike sat in climate controlled room for a month and the rear break was locked up. Brand new 2012 Kona Cadabra with only a few hours or riding. As a professional bike mechanic for 20 years, certified DT Swiss wheel builder and CTS mechanic I can certify these breaks as garbage. When a break paranormally locks up this is when you know you have garbage equipment. No break should ever do this on its own. Perhaps if I treated them poorly maybe, but no. You get what you pay for folks, dont buy cheap breaks because they will not save you anything, especially when they fail when you need them. In this case I have to commute 12 miles in traffic with no rear break, no big deal. I have a set of reliable Shimano breaks on standby at home. These POS breaks should be pulled of bikes and shelves around the world.

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2012

Strengths:    The lever feel is second to none and very powerful for a 2 pot brake. Easy to set up. cheap LIGHT!

Weaknesses:    CPS washers are annoying, special bleed kit needed. Fiddly to bleed, but as said take your time and watch the vid all will be good.

Bottom Line:
Love the elixirs, run them on all three of my bikes. bleed them and change pads once a year or so and align them regularly and they'll last forever. My friend hit a tree with his, put a crack in the lever body and still hasn't even needed to be bled!

Submitted by Panos

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    Great power, tireless brakes

Weaknesses:    Definition of headache = Adjustment of rear brake!

Bottom Line:
After 3000+ km I'll say that I trust these brakes. That's why I have no problem to ride with 40+ km/h on steep descents. Great power and always available: I never felt that I won't stop on time. Rear brake pads were replaced after 3000 km, front brake pads will be replaced later.
The rear brake adjustment is a problem. Not enough room for pads and rotor, has as a result the pads lightly touching the rotor and slowing down the wheel (plus the fact pads are wearing out faster). Especially now I have brand new pads, installed by a professional seems that there is absolutely no room for pads and rotor!
If the problem above wouldn't exist these brakes would be with one word: awesome...

Submitted by TobyGadd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    Reliable, easy to adjust, grippy, nice modulation, easy-to-change pads.

Weaknesses:    A little tricky to bleed. Be sure to read the manual, watch the video, and take your time.

Bottom Line:
I've been using a set of Elixer R brakes for about two years now, and I have never had a problem. I just finished the Colorado Trail Race with them, and they worked great. They withstood some very long and steep descents on that race (70,000 total feet over 7 days), with a fully-loaded bike, and never faded or did anything weird. One set of brand-new pads lasted the entire race--barely. They can be a little noisy when the rotors are dirty--but that's pretty much to be expected.

I also have a set on my commuter. Not a terribly demanding application, but they work great. Great stopping power in the rain!

I think that good bleed is necessary if you want to get the most from Elixers. It's not that hard, but it does require attention to detail. There's a good video on SRAM's site, and the manual is also very helpful. Buy the proper bleed kit, and take your time to get it right. Get ALL of the bubbles out of the line by tilting your bike if necessary, tapping on the lines, etc.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by kevin glendinning

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    They worked once

Weaknesses:    I`ve not had much of a chance to ride this year but when i do get the chance i expect to be able to get my bike and ride,but no the rear caliper has seized on again.

Bottom Line:
don`t buy

Submitted by karl lawton

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    Very easy to remove from your bike.....

Weaknesses:    After just one ride on my Yeti Arc front disc warped and ruined the pads......
My first and last go with these Brakes. Brakes that Broke.....
Back to Hope for me had hope mini's and Hope M4 for last 10plus years. Why did I trust my bike shop into talking me into trying a different brake. Trust what you know to be excellent. Use Hope.

Bottom Line:
A very poor product would not in good concience sell them on as they are dangerous. your life depends on good brakes. These are not good brakes, Just good for the dustbin. A total waste of your hard earned money.

Submitted by CharlesinTX

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2012

Strengths:    Looks, easy to set up

Weaknesses:    Unreliable

Bottom Line:
Bought these brakes after I had a pair that worked well on my previous bike. They were good(not great) for about 6 months, then the rear lever started to pull to the bar. had them bled, worked for about a month. Stored bike for 3 weeks, then the lever started pulling to the bars again. had them bled AGAIN, then they failed to brake in the middle of a ride. LBS Has inspected every part of the brake, and can not find the problem. These were bled by two different competent bike shops. I will never buy another set of Avid Hydro's again. Going back to bb7's until I have 500.00 to spend on good Hydros's, or may just stick to mech's since they are much less likely to fail.

Submitted by Yeroon a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Power, lever feel, and power.

Weaknesses:    hard to get lined up perfect, lets you know when it isn't perfectly centered.

Bottom Line:
I got this set last spring from crc for 70% off, no rotors. I'm using them with non ice-tech xt rotors as a 180/160 combo. My brother also got a set for his 29er, and we split a bleed kit between us.
I bled both sets from the get go, we had to shorten his lines so it would've been necessary anyways. Bleeding went well, followed the Avid bleed procedure of de-gassing the fluid, although it seems odd, the bubles do seem to be trapped in the fluid. Patience is your friend, I found it helped to let the brakes sit for little bits in-between little bleeding sessions. I only used the top syringe for bleeding, I'll use both to flush the old fluid.

I ride around a bit to break in my breaks whenever I change something, pads, rotors, etc. Every time, these have impressed me with how much power they have from the first time I pull the lever, and they just get better the next couple times.
I've had to set up about 4 sets of brakes on my own bike incl. these, mech and these on my brothers, and some hayes 9's and aces for a friend. The avid CPS system blows. I cut my bolts short and used the lower set to space the caliper, but the bolt face squares it all up. On the rest, I flip the cup and cone around to lower the amount of rotation allowed, but any is still bad. The elixirs most definitely take the most time to set up and get squared/centered compared to any I have worked on, and the rotor needs to be pretty close to true to keep quiet. Its also time worth spending, even if it gets a little frustrating.
The reach adjust gets set for me once, doesn't get touched all season. I thought I'd want the cr's, but the bite point is excellent, and I've heard/read it makes bleeding more tricky. I could get away with elixir 5 levers no problem. The ajustable banjo angle is a really nice feature on the R's though, which the 5's don't have. With the way some forks angle the post mounts, and then the 180 adapters do it even more, makes for a pretty tough routing job if it weren't for that adjustment.

Purchased At:   crc

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 9, hygia elites, hayes stroker trail oem, Avid elixirs

Bike Setup:   konda dawg 1x9, manitou suspension f/r (nixon platinum IT/isx-6), 819 rims with regular maxxis tires run tubeless, gamut boomerang. elixir R front/rear, 180/160 xt rotors.

Submitted by David_315

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
Came stock on my fuel ex 9 right away had nothing but problems the stopping power was good but could never center the rotters always rubbing some how. always leaking so sram ended up replacing them with CR they sucked too.

Submitted by adventum a Downhiller from Smolyan, Bulgaria

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Strengths:    Light, user-friendly, tremendous stopping power, very strong - I have hit a rock with either the disk, the handle and the body.

Weaknesses:    Hard to bleed - for the best results give it to specialists in a bike shop.

Bottom Line:
This is something that at time of buying was the best for the price I could have. And for sure it was on of the greatest deals for this setup. I have abused them so hard that they begin to smell like something is burning, but never fail, and again and again. Really really strong and very precise in the hardest conditions on my favorite trails. I think that even second hand they are good deal.

Favorite Trail:   The Patechkata, Saint Spirit, Orpheus Rocks

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Various models of Hope, Hayes, Magura, Shimano!

Bike Setup:   Front 203mm rear 160mm rotors on a Transition Dirtbag, Fox 32 float 180mm, SRAM X4-X9

Submitted by sec1crg a Cross Country Rider from Chino Hills

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    When there is no air in the lines, they provide good braking.

Weaknesses:    This is my second set of brakes in 1 1/2 years. In the first six months, a leak developed in the rear caliper, so Avid (through my Specialized dealer, replaced both front and back brakes under warranty. A year later, I've had to bleed my front brakes twice. And to this day, when I notice more than normal free play in the lever, if I repeatedly tap (feather) the brake lever (a trick told to me by my LBS), it draws the air back up to the reservoir. This then gets rid of the play in the lever. This happens on any given day, while my bike is idle garage.

Bottom Line:
Keep them serviced regularly and then they'll be there for you. Hardly any squealing from the rear, like I've read about from others. They come as standard equipment on all Specialized, and I don't necessarily advocate swapping them out. You just need to stay on top of the maintenance, including keeping fresh pads.

Favorite Trail:   Faultline