Avid Elixir CR Disc Brake System

3.35/5 (93 Reviews)
Weight : 375 grams MSRP : $129.98

Packed with features!These build onThe Juicy brake line and add newTechnology. A sleek, newly re-designed caliper, plus carbon fiber lever blades, help keepThe weight down. Tool-free pad contact point and lever reach adjustments More powerfulThan Juicy, but with better modulation "Top-loading" design makes brake pad changes a snap Refined G3 series rotor (fits standard 6-boltType hubs) Carbon fiber lever Published weight 375 grams (160mm rotor) Front will include appropriate adaptersTo fit both

Avid Elixir CR Disc Brake System Pro Review

The Avid Elixir brakes replace the Avid Juicy Ultimates and become the top of the line, multipurpose brake set for Avid/SRAM. Braking power with the new Avid Elixir’s are claimed to be somewhere in-between the Juicy and Code lineups. With new technologies like Taperbore, tool free adjustment, new G3 rotor and banjo fittings, the Elixir brake lineup brings something completely new to the table for Avid. Continue reading →

Submitted by OneOnOne a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2014

Strengths:    Good feel, good modulation, controls and rotors look good, adjustable reach is easy to use

Weaknesses:    calipers look cheap, squeal like a stuck pig when wet

Bottom Line:
First set of Avid Hydros I have used, not a bad braking system. Very clean look on the handlebars. Performance is good. I haven't had to bleed the system yet, so cant comment on that. I have heard and read that the process is involved to say the least

Favorite Trail:   Demo

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   2013 Shimano XT, Avid BB7 Mechs. Grimeca hydro,

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB 66, Ventana ElChamuco

Submitted by brd4200 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2013

Strengths:    WHEN they work, they work well. Stopping power and modulation is excellent. Adjustable pad reach is a nice feature also. Read some reviews about squealing, but did not have this experience.

Weaknesses:    Neither the front or rear made it through the warranty period.

Bottom Line:
The front set was bad right out of the box. I have a couple of Avid bleed kits, since I've been using their brakes for years. The front would not bleed, so was replaced under warranty. The rear made it over 1 year, and then needed to be bled weekly. It was also replaced under warranty.

Brakes serve a pretty important function, it is not comforting when they do not work. I replaced them with Shimano XT. For the record, I have also owned 2 sets of Avid Elixir R, and Juicy 5, and had no issues. Could have just been bad luck with the C/R's.

Similar Products Used:   Avid Eixir R - No issues
Avid Juicy 5 - No issues
Shimano XT

Submitted by erock a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Anodized parts were a good match.

Weaknesses:    Weak from day one. Lever failed.

Bottom Line:
After a season of using these weak brakes they finally failed at the worst possible time. Coming down from my climb they went right to the bar and left me with only the rears to save myself from a painful stop. Took them home and used the $50 bleed kit to see if they just had air in them. Nope. Seal failed in the lever. Pretty disappointed that the pads outlasted the brakes.

Similar Products Used:   juicy7, Code, Hope m4, Hope M6

Submitted by Martin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Strengths:    Adjustability! braking power! Squealing!

Weaknesses:    It took me a while to adjust exactly what I wanted but after that everything works just fine! I could set the caliper exactly into the middle but it´s probably not a problem of the caliper :D

Bottom Line:
Since I don´t ride DH and I ride only FR I had to get brakes that are strong and light and adjustable! I don´t mind the squealing I love it! With original rotor it squeals a lot but it is only because the pads and rotor, with different rotor it´s quiet and the same is if you change the pads. But I love the sound it reminds me of who I am.
If the squealing is only thing you care about then Don´t buy Disc brakes. If you want adjustable brakes buy these! It stops immediately and doesn´t need too much strenght to stop even in higher speeds!

Favorite Trail:   Still searching

Duration Product Used:   200 km

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Avid elixir 1 2012, Hayes Nine, Hopo mono 6 ti --> I used
Shimano SLX, Shimano XT, Shimano XTR --> I tried

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X3 2012

Submitted by Alberta Dude a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great stopping power with control. Durable levers as they have seen some crashes! Great 1 finger braking if you got them setup.

Weaknesses:    Stock pads are noise but stop just fine. Upgraded pads!

Bottom Line:
Excellent brakes if you upgrade your stock pads!

Favorite Trail:   Moonracker

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Similar Products Used:   XT, exlir R

Submitted by Morgan

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    They worked great for a season. Easy to bleed.

Weaknesses:    Loss of stopping power. Brakes are leaking at lever line, have replaced parts multiple times.

Bottom Line:
These were great for a season. Bled them a few times with no problems. Started having issues with stopping power, levers felt squishy, noisy, etc... Started to notice leaking where the line mounts to the lever. Replaced line parts multiple times, but still leaking. Lost all pressure in front brake on one ride, continue to have squishy brakes on both. I ride a single speed 29er, brakes are about the only thing I need to work. Have at least 1500 miles on these. Will get Formulas from now on.

Submitted by hsoverma

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to adjust, more stopping power than I'll ever use, top of line.

Weaknesses:    Stock pads can be noisy.

Bottom Line:
These came on my 2011 Access Hardtail from performance. I had not purchased a mountain bike since 1997 and my old steed finally gave up the ghost. This is the first set of disc brakes I have had so I dont have much to computer to except my old XTR V-Brakes off my 1997 bike. These things have done well, and I found them easy to figure out and adjust. I havent bled them yet nor have I had to change the pads out after over 2100 miles of east-coast singletrack. They were relatively quiet for the first 250 miles but after about the 500 mile mark they just stopped squealing and I havent heard a thing out of them since. The pads are about ready to be replaced and I will probably go for the same pads again. I have couple buddies who have the same brakes and they usually replace the stock pads with organics and dont have any more problems with noise at the sacrifice of longevity. Due to the low maintenance, worry-free performance, ease of adjustment, and the low weight of these brakesets, I give them 4 out of 5.

Submitted by Granny a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    Easy enough to set up. Zero drag, no noise. (Front only)

Weaknesses:    Adjuster knob forces lever to be mounted about a half inch inside of my lock-on grips, which also forces the shifter module inward. I adjusted the contact point barrel and the adjuster knob for the throw to max and I still can't get as quick an engagement as I want.

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on these on Amazon so it's hard to complain. They replace an almost 8 year-old Hayes 9 that with braided steel hose. These are lighter and sexier looking. I really liked the dished washers on the mounting hardware which made for an easy no-disc-drag setup. My only concern is the throw. They offer one-finger stopping but if I did that I'd crush my other fingers because the lever comes too close to the grip!

But, I've only been on one ride. I'll keep playing and see if I can get the engagement point pushed outward. I'd love to give these a 5 flamer overall rating and that's all that's holding me back.

Favorite Trail:   The one under my tires right now...

Duration Product Used:   One ride

Purchased At:   Amazon - Helmet to H

Bike Setup:   2005 Yeti 575 with original Rock Shock fork and shock. King bling headset, hubs and bottom bracket. Bullet proof Mavic wheels built by Dan the Man.

Submitted by mmpotash

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2012

Strengths:    Works fine.

Weaknesses:    Noisy with the stock pads.

Bottom Line:
With organic pads they are quiet. The braking strength with organic pads is average, a bit better than my old v-brakes. With the stock pads they brake much better but squeal.

Submitted by norope

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2012

Strengths:    They stop your bike

Weaknesses:    They stop your ears from being able to hear anything but a loud pitch noise

Bottom Line:
These are the best brakes IF you want to keep dogs away with the high pitch noise that comes from them and if you want your friends to know where you are on the mountain at any time assuming you are braking. I lived in PA and WA with these brakes and have found them to be so loud and annoying that I will never use them again. Every person I ride with that has the brakes has had the same issue. The only difference is the level of noise. I used different pads, rotors, cleaned rotors, cleaned pads, worked on calipers and everything else possible. If you want to hear brakes scream and be annoyed while going down a hill send me a PM and you can ride behind me. I read reviews and thought that they would be just fine. I was wrong. Don't buy them.

Submitted by merv a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    They often stop the bike.

Weaknesses:    Incessant squealing. Regular adjustment to levers required. Pads wear quickly.

Bottom Line:
Never again. A constant source of frustration.

Submitted by preludedriven

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Loads of features such as Carbon Fiber Levers (some models), Pad Contact Adjustment, Tool-free Reach Adjustment, and top-loading pads. Performance is better when used with the newer HS1 Avid Rotors. These are some of the best looking brakes.

Weaknesses:    Bleed port is on the contact adjustment knob and not on the lever body itself. These brakes are already discontinued because of this.

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to these from my Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, and I was a little let down. Don't get me wrong, power and modulation are better, but these left me wishing for more. If you are looking at these, get the Elixir 9 instead....Elixir 7 if you don't need Pad Contact Adjustment.

Submitted by Todd

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Strengths:    Anodized color, good out-of-box feel, um........

Weaknesses:    Value, power, modulation, feel, noise. Just a terrible brake overall

Bottom Line:
Got these wretched brakes on a 2010 giant reign, and they were definitely the weakest part of the bike. As my first set of hydraulic brakes, these really didn't fulfill the expectation that I had, and their power isn't that much of an improvement over my avid mechanicals. Braking power deteriorated pretty rapidly, and now i can hardly 1-finger the brakes-more like a 3-finger grasp for life. The modulation is awful, and the tool free adjustment is both difficult and unsucessful. Repetitive attempts to stop rear wheel drag and both front and rear wheel noise have also been fruitless. New bags and repeated bleedings do not help. These are a horrible horrible brake and I will never buy Avid again, and neither should you if you read this post. Sure some people have had luck, but I'm guessing they reviewed the product about 2 months in and not 2 years after like I am. Get some Formulas.

Submitted by bmxking45 a All Mountain Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    Solid performer with no maintenance thus far. Lightweight brakes. Strong levers that have taken some hits without breaking nor sacrificing any of their performance.

Weaknesses:    Adjustability isn't what I would call ideal but because they work so good that there really isn't too much of a need for it. I do wish the lever had a little less play and they have developed a bit of a "click" but nothing worth complaining about. The lever feel isn't quite as good as other brakes however they are also a lot more expensive.

Bottom Line:
I have had no problems with these brakes what-so-ever. They are solid performers that are the best performing brakes I have had any experience with. There are better brakes out there but you have to pay to play. The CR's are a great brake with super high performance that can handle the burly downhill stuff without any complaints. I have not had any of the turkey gobble that others have mentioned. The brakes have now been on my bike for about 18 months and a 1000miles and I have not had to change out the pads yet.

Favorite Trail:   Big River