Avid Elixir CR Mag Disc Brake System

3.13/5 (8 Reviews)

The CR Mag features a super-light magnesium lever body, abeautiful new carbon fiber lever with sexy hollow pivot, updated mastercylinder, and all-new U-Clamp. NotTo mention In-Line Pad Contact-PointAdjustment, Power Reserve Geometry, Elixir power/modulation, anadjustable banjo, and semi-metallic pads.The CR mag isThe Ambidextrous magnesium lever body w/ carbon fiber lever Light weight U-ClampTaperboreTechnology In-line Pad Contact Point Adjustment Power Reserve Geometry w/ excellent power and m

Submitted by mlaff a All Mountain Rider from Clayton, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2012

Strengths:    Good modulation, reliable lever feel, lots of breaking force.

Weaknesses:    6" rotors couldn't handle long-steep descents.

Bottom Line:
These are good brakes once dialed-in. They came with the Blur so I felt compelled to make them work instead of tossing them. With the 6" rotor they were unpredicatable, squeeled, gobbled, dragged after each ride (warped?), etc. etc. all the stuff mentioned in other reviews. Once switched to Avid 8" heat shedding rotor in front and 7" standard rotor in back, they work great. I live at the bottom of a 3000' descent that has some long steep sections. The 8" thinker rotor makes all the diff. After a few months of riding them four times a week, it looks like I'll keep them. I'm not having to sandpapaer them, touch them, or tweek them. They just work. I'm as happy with these as with the Formulas on my other bike. If I was to go out to buy brakes, I'd stay away from Avid (require too much tweeking) and go to Formula (love the ease of set-up and "forget about it" reliability). But it looks like we found a way to make these work for this bike.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Formula Oro K24

Bike Setup:   Blur LTc

Submitted by MultiRider a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable, effective, great power, great modulation, easy to replace the pads

Weaknesses:    The reach adjustment is a bit hard to use, could use more grip and be easier to turn

Bottom Line:
Mine are the 2011 model. Work great, no issues, no bleeding, they just work.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Similar Products Used:   Hayes

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 29er

Submitted by esm a Cross Country Rider from Rossland, BC CAN

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome cross country brake. Terrific modulation and light.

Weaknesses:    Require bleeding a bit more often than others.

Bottom Line:
They work amazingbly well but might be falling behind Shimano a bit recently. These have been my favorite brake until I put Saint on my big bike. That said, these brakes do not go after the same market. Avid is claiming they have fixed the bleeding problem which is great but how about all of those people who purchase the old brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Cannot name just one

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Juicy's, Saint, Hayes back in the day.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT-c

Submitted by dpugh5 a Cross Country Rider from York PA USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    look cool lightweight decent stopping power

Weaknesses:    I had to keep bleeding them and they would stop working while riding, weak mounting spot

Bottom Line:
I would pass on this particular model of brakes there is just something wrong with them... I had to bleed the front several times didn't have to touch the rear then one day while riding the rear brake got air in it, at the same time the part that mounts to the handlebar cracked just from normal riding. The good news is Sram sent me new brakes no questions asked just had to go through my lbs ... so 2 chillis cause sram has excellent customer service !

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill State Park MD

Similar Products Used:   bb-7 hope tech x2 avid juicy 7

Bike Setup:   voodoo bizango raceface crank fox fork sram xo shift x7SL grip shifts

Submitted by fipogg a Cross Country Rider from Stafford, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Strengths:    Works great, no leaks so far. Have had to slightly adjust the pads to avoid noise.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Will certainly recommend these brakes however have noticed that Santa Cruz did replace the Avid Elixir CR Mag I purchased a year ago built in my bike with Formula The One brakes for their 2011 model.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Peachtree Bikes

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler 2010, XTR AM Kit, FOX Talas, FOX RP23. The brakes came built in as part of the XTR AM kit.

Submitted by Greensprings a Racer from Ashland, OR

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Strengths:    light, durable, effective when working properly

Weaknesses:    pad drag on rotor, extemely difficult to bleed completely, mysterious floppy lever

Bottom Line:
I've had to bleed these brakes many times over the last year. The brakes will seem to function well but then if the bike is turned upside down, layed on it's side or even ridden over bumpy terrain the brake lever will tend to travel to the bar without properly engaging the caliper piston.
I've adjusted the caliper many, many times to reduce pad drag.
Now the right brake lever has a problem where it does not return to its original position after being squeezed.

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   Moto Titanium Hardtail

Submitted by helifitz a Racer from Virginia

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    When there is no air in the system they work great.

Weaknesses:    Keeps getting air in the system. Have to bleed the brakes every 2 to 3 weeks.

Bottom Line:
This has been the most frustrating brake I've ever used. They work great for a while then out the blue you pull on the lever and it goes to the handlebar. Kinda scary because it usually happens when you really need brakes. This is a safety issue! Yesterday I ran off the trail and almost nailed a tree due to this issue. Once it happens I get through the race/ride by pumping the lever when I need brakes which forces you to brake much earlier.

Bleeding the brake fixes the problem until it happens again a couple of weeks later. Some how the system keeps getting air in the system even though there are no signs of leaks. I believe folks are having the same issue on the XX brakes.

I called Avid and they said take the brake to my LBS to start the warranty process. I have a great LBS here, but I didn't buy the brake from them. I not going ask my local shop to deal with a problem not even associated with them. If Avid is not willing to deal with me directly, I'm done with Avid!

I expect a safety recall on these brakes soon.

Favorite Trail:   All Single Track

Purchased At:   Jenson

Submitted by sniggle a Cross Country Rider from Montgomery Center Vt Usa

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    Light, highly engineered, flawless

Weaknesses:    Some noise, overly long hose

Bottom Line:
Work flawlessly, a bit loud in the rear, moved to organic pads and it's helped quite a bit. No thought or hesitation, they're there and I have complete faith in them. Carbon levers are bad ass.

Favorite Trail:   Tap N Die