Avid Elixir 9 Trail Disc Brake System

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Avid Elixir 9 Trail Disc Brake Your bike is a highly evolved trail-slaying machine. Your brakes should be too. The all-new Elixir 9 Trail removes limitations, giving you lightweight XC efficiency combined with monster all-mountain power. With a 4-piston dual-diameter caliper and trail-tuned modulation, this is control and confidence for any off-road situation. Avid Elixir 9 Trail Disc Brake Specifications: Weight: 350 grams (Carbon blade/Front direct mount/160mm rotor) Lever Material: Carbon Fiber, Aluminum Body Caliper Design: 2 Piece forged aluminum/Top loading pads Finish: Black Ano Pad: Steel-backed Organic Fluid:Dot 5.1 MountAmbidextrous Adjustment: Tooled reach adjust/Contact adjust/Banjo adjust Special Features: TaperBore Technology, MatchMaker X Compatible, Split Clamp Intended Use:XC/Trail/AM/FR System:Open system/4 piston, dual diameter Tri-Align Caliper Positioning System:No Tool-Free Pad Replacement:Yes Ambidextrous:Yes Stainless Hardware:Yes Avid Elixir 9 Trail D

Submitted by Mike Torrey a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2016

Strengths:    Aesthetics, decent braking power, adjustability, 4-piston caliper, pad contact adjustment, tool-less lever adjustment, MatchMaker compatible, easy top-down pad changes.

Weaknesses:    decent (not great) braking power, long-ish lever throw before engagement, bleed challenges, a little sqeak.

Bottom Line:
I got these brakes via a used Niner Jet 9C and I have had good luck with ELixirs (crazy huh?) in the past. To me, these are supposed to be the pinnacle of the Elixir family, and while they're decent, I can't really say they're any better than my old Threes.The brakes do work decently under my 210 LB frame but my old bike had Shimano XT brakes which were superior to these. With the Elixir 9 Trails, I do have to brake earlier than I did with the Shimanos and there's much more dead-throw with the Elixirs than there were with the XT's. I also liked the lever of the XT's much better than these.

All that said, and after two bleeds these brakes work well enough where I wouldn't need to change them out. I haven't played with the contact adjustment that much so I don't know if its useful. Ironically, Shimano's Stroke Adjust is totally worthless on such a praised braking system.

Editorial: Knowing that Avid kept the 4 piston calipers from these for the Guide brakes, I think the piston on the reservoir is a little underpowered. My guess is the reservoir piston has to displace so much oil volume to get the caliper pistons to engage, that it kinda gives the brakes a weak feel. I think the reservoir is maxed out getting these to function to the point of calling it an outstanding braking system. Again, I like them and I'm not going to replace them anytime soon but if I was starting from scratch it would be Shimano XTs for sure.

Favorite Trail:   Cave Creek Trails

Purchased At:   1

Similar Products Used:   Avid Elixir 3
Magura MT-S
Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9C

Submitted by Pman a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2015

Strengths:    Great modulation, power and lever ergonomics. Very adjustable.

Bottom Line:
I was scared off Avids after a previous experience, but these have really impressed me. I came off a set of XT's, which were great, but very on / off. These have similar overall power, but far better modulation, which means I can drag a brake for control through corners etc. I also much prefer the lever shape and feel of these over the Shimano. Overall impressed.

Bike Setup:   DeVinci Atlas Carbon 29