Avid Elixir 7 Disc Brake System

2.06/5 (16 Reviews)

Outfitted with the latest and greatest trickle-down from the Elixir 9s, the Avid Elxir 7 Disc Brake will confidently handle all your stopping duties. Next-gen TaperBore technology provides solid, consistent lever feel and modulation, and saves weight over traditional reservoir systems.MatchMaker compatibility helps you keep your bars cleanLever pivots are placed to offer you the most power and comfort with minimal effortHS1 rotors dump heat and provide smooth, predictable braking

Submitted by Kwintne a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2014

Strengths:    - Great stopping power
- Accurate
- Adjustable brake lever

Weaknesses:    - Noisy when wet
- Paint on the brake calipers is coming of a little bit in a couple of spots.

Bottom Line:
Like the previous review, I am also realy surpiced about all the bad reviews these brakes get!
I used to own a bike with formula oro brakes and those received tons of good reviews, but I can tell you these are a lot better than the oro's. They have great stopping power and are very accurate. Not once did I experience the problems everybody else is talking about. The only thing is they are very noisy when wet. I changed the braking pads last week (after 1 year of intense usage), so I'm curious about the noise now. Overall great brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Malmedy (Belgium)

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   Formula Oro's (2007 model)

Bike Setup:   Crossmax ST wheels if that's relevant.

Submitted by Alexios a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2014

Strengths:    unbelievable power
easy adjust
looks great

Weaknesses:    original pair of pads creating vibration

Bottom Line:
I found this review page while trying to find information about changing the front hose with a longer one (part compatibility).
I couldn't believe my eyes reading the existing reviews...
I'm an experienced rider, more than 5000 hours on the saddle, half of them in wild center of Athens, but less than 100 in the forests before purchasing my FS 29er.
I weight 120Kg (270) total weight bike and rider and I have a 2012 Camber Comp (same as an other reviewer).
I mostly use it in trails of 15-20% average slope (light downhill). I'm not a racer but I really push as hard as I can and I always record my segment times with a Garmin device so that I always have the need to go faster !!
Well, the braking system (200mm f 180r) is the single, by far, most impressive part of my bike and this is a fact that all my friends have mentioned when they had a ride. Extreme power, perfect feel, bottomless endurance and easy adjust. They are so good that they are almost dangerous. On my first long trip with this bike, which was with a team, I was so confident on huge desenting dirt roads, they simply consider me crazy. Never felt the slightest change after long braking sessions, never asked for more power or control.

Only issue was that after 300 Km a noise and a vibration started coming from the front one after the fisrt 2-3 seconds of braking. I changed the front pads with the rears and problem nearly diappeared but after less than 100Km reappeared. I tried sandind pads which solved the problem but only for about 50Km. So finally pads where worn and I purchased two new organic pairs (cheap chinese) worring that this problem could ruin my rides... But since then and after more than 1000Km brakes are simply perfect !!! So, I simply suggest some experiment with the pads to anyone having similar problems.

Favorite Trail:   Vlaxika twin hills

Submitted by stevem9 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Worked okay mostly.

Weaknesses:    Required frequent bleeding. Required adjusting during rides. Sized during rides

Bottom Line:
Like the previous review, came on a stock bike. Noisy until organics installed but organics only lasted 5 weeks a set. Then the brakes would seize.

Duration Product Used:   3/4 season

Similar Products Used:   Formula and Schimano.

Submitted by g a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    They really are pretty. The white color is cool. Also, the levers are comfortable for me. I don't feel like they're unnatural or uncomfortable to grip.

Weaknesses:    These are not good brakes. They came on my $3000+ bike and I was expecting some real stopping power. I rode them for a year, simply assuming that my big body (190 lbs.) and the speed that I tend to ride (range from 15-30 mph cross country riding) made them something that I just had to live with... No brakes would really stop me completely. (Stupid, i know, but it was my first time with disk brakes and I just assumed that was part of it... what did I know?) I got on a friend's bike with a different brake system on it and I couldn't believe the braking power. I ordered new brakes the next day.

Also, on 3 separate rides in 1 year, they have seized up on me and required bleeding. (3 times... in one year... and I'm a weekender...wtf?)

From what I hear, they are a huge departure from the Juicy's that they had before... and if you check out the 2014 model of my bike (cannondale carbon flash 29), they replaced them with maguras. Good call.

Bottom Line:
These are not worth it, if you ask me. If you check the reviews, it seems I'm not alone. I was very disappointed.

Submitted by stubs a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Noisy and they arent Shimano XT

Bottom Line:
These came on my new bike and so far they have been okay I suppose. Not particulary powerful, grabby and noisier than a Turkey farm next to a Pig farm and a Slaughter house. They do look flash though.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT M765 and M785.

Submitted by Alberto

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    The Elixir 7Sl get stuck when I'm riding the bike.

Bottom Line:
The worst breaks in the market.

Submitted by Sean

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight. They stop well enough.

Weaknesses:    Squeak HORRIBLY. Calipers will prob need to be rebuilt every year. Burn through break pads. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
No matter what you do the brake squeak will not go away. It became really embarrassing and annoying. I finally switched out the rotors with Shimano Ice Techs and went to organic pads before the squeak went away. Plan on burning through a lot of brake pads and rebuilding the calipers every year.
SRAM and your LBS are well aware of the problem. Shimano stopped putting them on their bikes and went with Magura.

Submitted by psuthe

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    They came default on a new bike and I knew the reviews were bad, but I thought I would give them a go before swapping them for XT-785s. These brakes were howlers from the first ride with average braking power and no modulation. Basically, they are complete garbage - especially when considering they cost as much or more than the XT-785s.

Bottom Line:
Garbage

Submitted by jparman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    Like the feel of the carbon levers, like the reach adjustment. Bleed is still relatively easy to do and you don't have to do it as often. Very fond of SRAM for taking care of my original brakes/standing behind their product.

Weaknesses:    They just didn't meet my expectations. Lots less maintenance than their predecessor but...

Bottom Line:
Received these in 2012 as a warranty replacement for the equivalent 2011 product. I can say that they were much improved interms of maintenance/bleeds, piston retraction/brake drag, etc. Still, I feel like there is much to improve upon. Back in 2003 I bought a Giant NRS 1 w/ Hayes brakes and I had to bleed them exactly 0 times in 3 years and never had to worry about drag/pad retraction or maintenance in general. While they were heavy, they were also quality and instilled confidence in the ride.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Submitted by Oliver

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2013

Strengths:    Decent braking power. Nice levers.

Weaknesses:    Noisy,Vibrate, fade on long downhills.

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend these. They get the job done but aren't as impressive as competitors brakes. They are insanely noisy once you get them dirty or wet. They also get soft after a few minutes on longer descents.

Nothing terribly wrong with these, but they just aren't worth writing home about.

Submitted by Jeremiah Przybylski a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2013

Strengths:    Look good

Weaknesses:    Constant problems with noise and vibration.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my Specialized Camber Comp 29. Shortly after break-in the brakes started making a horrible racket that sounded like a turkey gobble, and they vibrated terribly as well. After several trips to the shop and replacing the rotors and pads twice I gave up on them. I replaced them with Shimano brakes. Very disappointed!

Favorite Trail:   Potawatomi

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB 7, Avid Juicy 7

Bike Setup:   Specialized camber comp 29 frame, Fox Evolution Fork, Shimano SLX/XT drivetrain, Shimano SLX brakes 180mm/160mm rotors

Submitted by Disappointed

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2012

Strengths:    Nil

Weaknesses:    Horrendous squeak from leaking oil after about 50km of riding. Significant loss of front brake power shortly thereafter. Both sets had to be returned for warranty, leaking oil from pistons.

Bottom Line:
I'm either extremely unlucky or these brakes are rubbish. Front and rear sets both failed barely after getting the bike out the door of the shop.

Submitted by JP

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Non existent

Weaknesses:    High ambient temperatures, cause brakes to build pressure causing major drag, two sets completely locked up on me, warrantied one caliper only. Bleeding doesn't fix the pressure build up issues. One caliper, the rear fortunately completely locked up on a trail.

Bottom Line:
These brakes pretty much fail if you expect to have a working brake for all conditions, anything above 75 F and they lock themselves up. In the market for something new, until then I cant even ride because of these brakes.

Submitted by Jason

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    Powerful, reasonable weight, carbon blade feels awesome.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to Elixir 7's after being underwhelmed with the performance of the Elixir 1's that came on my Norco Recolver.
Fitted with 180mm HS1 discs front and rear and easily bled at home. To sum it up they are outstanding! Powerful one finger modulation, very progressive feel.
I was initially concerned about bleeding these brakes due to so many bad reviews online. Using the top spec Avid bleed kit it only took 5 minutes each end.
I highly recommend this product.

Submitted by EKHolden1962 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2012

Strengths:    Ok performance and I'm 115kgs

Weaknesses:    Overheat then start to squeal on long descents. Had to get em rebuilt after 4 months of use as I couldn't bleed em and the they also build up pressure when they heat up.

Bottom Line:
Average at best. I've had 3 sets of Avids and I will try Shimanos next time.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara Malaysia