Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brake System

2.78/5 (80 Reviews)

The Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brakes include everything you need for a complete setup. At 380g, these brakes are constructed from high efficiency materials that offer immense stopping power every time. Featuring an ambidextrous mount system, versatility is abund

Submitted by Scott Young a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2017

Strengths:    They stop me.

Weaknesses:    LOUD noise and whole bike vibration. My local shop seems NOT to be able to fix it. These brakes are on a very nice Gary Fisher/TREK Paragon. I love this bike, I've had it 5 years. And from the first time I took it out I when I started using the rear brake the noise and vibration started. Local shop said lets put new brake pads on - sure. NOPE didn't work. Then I talk to the owner. He says bring it in I think theyre recalling those brakes. I take it in, service guy says Oh you've had your bike more than a year, sorry we cant do anything.

Bottom Line:
This is crap. I'm riding a >$2K bike and I'm embarrassed every time I hit my rear brake.
My local shop does not seem to be able to fix the LOUD grind noise and whole bike vibration.

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2016

Strengths:    ? Strengths? After 2-1/2 years I've got nothing here.

Weaknesses:    Noisy, Constant, and I do mean Constant maintenance, and oh yes, they don't work.

Bottom Line:
Yet another person who finally gave up and am currently having a set of Shimano brakes installed as I write this. I've had the avids reworked, bled, bled and bled again. If you like to have your brakes bled alot, like once a month, this may be the brake for you. Otherwise, find something else. The moment I gave up was commuting to work in 20 degree F weather. The rear brake,which worked the day before at 40 degrees had nothing. No among of pumping created any brake action. Later in the day after it warmed up, a first pull was still nothing but 4 to 5 pumps would yield about 20% of a normally stopping force. I need brakes that I can bet my life on, these aren't it.

Purchased At:   United States

Submitted by Sean

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2016

Strengths:    stops right after its been to the shop.

Weaknesses:    doesn't stop 3 days after being worked on. Also tries to kill you.

Bottom Line:
2013 King Kahuna. first they needed to be bled. then the front brake warped somehow (I don't use it too hard), then it completely went out while doing a downhill trail on a ski slope and rewarded me with 5 days in the hospital.

Submitted by Jim in Colorado a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2016

Strengths:    Modulation
Reliability
Adjustability
Ease of maintenance

Bottom Line:
I'm very surprised by the negative reviews. I've had my Elixer 5 brakes for several years, riding the Rocky Mountains and doing some cross-country racing. Love the stopping power and reliability. They've been GREAT!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Submitted by Mamidon a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2016

Strengths:    They have on occasion stopped the bike

Weaknesses:    The brakes seize and don't release...once nearly throwing me over the handle bars and once leaving me 8 miles into the Everglades....walking.... dragging the bike back to civilization.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely the worst brakes. Avid rebuilt them once and replaced them once. Sram replaced them too....same result. Let's face it neither of these companies (including Scott) care enough to fix the problem. I've junked the entire system and replaced it with Shimano. I fully expect somebody will get hurt...class action lawsuit...an apology and payout.

Favorite Trail:   The Horrible Hundred

Similar Products Used:   Felt, Giant, Campy

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark Elite (trainer)

Submitted by LG a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2015

Strengths:    They stop the bike.

Weaknesses:    They stop the bike ...even when you don't want them to.

Bottom Line:
These came standard on my Giant Anthem X29er. They work for a while, then start rubbing or completely lock up. We adjusted, tweak, bled etc.... and they always manage to screw up again for no apparent reason. More than one shop has worked on these brakes. Both recommended that I change to Shimano. Installed my MT785's last night. Hoping I will have a reliable braking system now.

Bike Setup:   Stock Anthem X29er

Submitted by Braden Cresswell a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2015

Strengths:    They have worked well for a long time, but...

Weaknesses:    Modulation is near non-existent, they fade very quickly, adjustment is poor, pads tend to not self-correct very well, lever feel is spongy at best, and bike shops want to charge me high $$$ to bleed them (bleeding process is meant to be difficult).

Bottom Line:
I'm comparing these to Shimano XT M785 and SLX M675 brakes, and they are both light years ahead of the Avids. The SLX brakes replaced the Elixir 5's, as several bike shops wanted to charge large sums of money to bleed them as they are a "pain in the ass to bleed". So I just bought a new set of SLX's off Chain Reaction for AUD $139 (No, I wasn't paid by them to promote this). Bargain, and SO much better.

Favorite Trail:   Meehan Monster

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT M785 and SLX M675

Bike Setup:   Norco Judan SS, belt drive, steel frame, 29"

Submitted by Jack

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2014

Strengths:    I have only had my used 2013 Trek X-Caliber for about 2 1/2 weeks and have ridden my bike about 7 times so far. (maybe 30-35 miles, total) My bike came with the Avid Elixer 1 Hydraulic brakes.

From the few times I've rode my bike so far, I think the brakes are absolutely wonderful. They have excellent stopping power, almost too sensitive, no squeaks, free-ups, or any of the other problems I've read from other reviewers as of yet.

Hopefully I will still feel that way after a few months of riding it, and not find the same kinds of issues other shave found? I will post/update again in a couple months.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see yet.

Bottom Line:
In summary, again, I have had my bike only a few weeks with low miles, but so far, I think the brakes are excellent! I will post again once I've have put a couple hundred miles on my bike and give an update on the Avids.

Submitted by Cliff

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2014

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING, THEY ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. CAME STANDARD ON MY GIANT TRANCE AND HAVE NEVER BEEN ANY GOOD. i have spent soooo much money on maintaining them. They nearly killed me the other day!!!!

Bottom Line:
NEVER buy these brakes they are GARBAGE!!!!~!

Submitted by Brian

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2014

Strengths:    I haven't really seen any yet.

Weaknesses:    Locking of the caliper onto the rotor, no consistency whatsoever in their braking ability; they work really well on one ride....next ride I'm in the parking lot trying to bleed out pressure to relieve the caliper. Very squeeky.

Bottom Line:
Just having had very good luck with old Hayes Hydraulic brakes (on a 2000 Trek 8000LT), compared to these.... 13 years newer - they suck. Not this season, but probably next I'll upgrade the brakes to Hayes. I've just had very good luck with theirs. Maybe will consider Shimano. My advice to anyone buying a multi-thousand dollar bike is to insist the shop remove these and put on something that has better performance and better consistency.

Submitted by Jetta2010 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2014

Strengths:    solid build. stops my bike when I pull the lever.

Weaknesses:    tool-less reach adjust knob is cheap/plastic and hard to turn. no pad contact adj on this model :( Lot of dead pull (amount the lever moves before pads make contact with rotor).

Not necessarily a weakness, but the bleeding procedure indicates to pull the plunger back to pull out air bubbles, but to be careful not to pull too far as to not pull the plunger out of the syringe. What I have found is that I would have to pull the plunger back to the point just before it would pull the plunger right out of the syringe. this is especially true at the lever.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these as like-new take offs from a new bike (flea bay). I got the front & rear levers/cable/caliper and 200 HS1 rotor (front) & 180 HS1 rotor (rear) & hardware, The only thing I needed to buy separately was a rear mount adapter.

They may have sat around a while which would explain why I had quite a difficult time getting the rear brakes to work correctly until I realized that the pistons were sticking. After I massaged each one individually I was able to get them working fine. Also, when I bled them the old brake fluid was distinctly different color (darker) than the new.

Used only twice on trail so far but so far so good. Has made some noise braking at times but not all the time and never interferes with braking. Have used in both wet and dry conditions, mild temps. I'm looking forward to running these for a few years so if I find anything that differs significantly to what I wrote here today, I will post back.

Favorite Trail:   Hunters Creek

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Juicy 5

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

Submitted by matty

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2014

Strengths:    none what so ever

Weaknesses:    no modulation, won't hold a bleed long, squeal at slightest drop of water, pistons don't come out together.

Bottom Line:
these are by far the worst brakes I've ever used but they after all part of sram which says it all really. first ride out about 20km in to an easy trial and the front lever went straight to the bar.they don't hold a bleed long, the pistons don't activate jointly everytime resulting in uneven pad wear, modulation doesn't exist massive fade no bite in the slightest, very very noisey.the bleeding kit/process is absurd as your bleeding them you just know they won't work well even after the old credit card between the pads and pump up trick. they must be giving these to specialized for free to put on their bikes as with my enduro. I thought about selling these but it wouldn't be right to ask money for them. save your money and buy xt's

Submitted by rpb66 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2014

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Performance, reliability

Bottom Line:
Here's one positive about Elixir 5s: If they work, they work quite well.

However, mine have hardly ever worked. In the three years I've suffered through having these brakes, they've needed constant maintenance and adjustment, and I truly mean constant. As a write this, my LBS is installing Shimano brakes on my Trek Fuel, as I finally grew smart enough to replace these POS Avids. I will never use another Avid product again, as I've really just hated these things from the get-go. Save yourself some time, money, and a bunch of headaches, and steer clear of these.

Submitted by finch2 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2014

Strengths:    powerful, great lever feel, lightish, reasonable price

Weaknesses:    pads don't retract enough to allow pads to clear and so calipers need adjustment too often. Sometimes pistons can stick so that as pads wear one side doesn't self adjust. Somehow fluid migrates to caliper so that when replacing worn pads, you can;t spread the pistons far enough back to fit the new ones. Often I need to release some fluid to get them in.

Bottom Line:
these brakes have good performance but a little touchy to adjust and need more maintenance than shimano. I really like the lever feel which is like a rim brake, opposed to squishy odd feeling power assisted brake. Build quality a little suspect in that powder coat allows some corrosion underneath. Overall you'd be better off with shimano unless you really like the lever feel. There isn't as much grab at the start of the pull as shimano but overall power is similar.