Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brake System

2.84/5 (75 Reviews)

The Avid Elixir 5 Disc Brakes include everything you need for a complete setup. At 380g, these brakes are constructed from high efficiency materials that offer immense stopping power every time. Featuring an ambidextrous mount system, versatility is abund

Submitted by S.O.B. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2012

Strengths:    They work, the bleed kit is simple to use, and they come in white!

Weaknesses:    Not a weakness really, but after some time, I had a piston stop working. Thanks to a thread here on mtbr, I was able to fix it myself in by holding the working down with pliers and forcing the stuck one out. Lubbed and cleaned it with the DOT5.1 fluid and now it works like new.

Bottom Line:
Read a few of the reviews and I have not had the problems people have posted...and I bought mine used from ebay. Maybe it is because I already owned a bleed kit (for my inferior Juicy Carbon's) and I already new how to bleed them relatively quick and easy, but they have been solid other than a stuck piston that I was able to fix myself. I buy cheap pads from Truckerco on ebay and they always work, I use cheap Alligator rotors from Pricepoint and they always work, I bleed them maybe twice a year and they still work great. I have been waiting for them to totally crap-out so I could justify a pair of silver XT's, but as long as they work and I can fix 'em, I will keep using them. FWIW, while I am not smoking fast, I do race, but because I am cautious, I am on my brakes a lot and I have never been concerned with these brakes...lucky me. :)

Favorite Trail:   286 (NC), Auburn SRA