Avid DB3 Disc Brake System

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

DB3 gives you the juice to up your game. And a new bladder material reduces air bubbles, ensuring power and consistency on every ride.

Submitted by Joe

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2014

Strengths:    Strong, smooth braking; Consistent and smooth lever pull.

Weaknesses:    None so far...haven't had to bleed them yet though.

Bottom Line:
These were a huge improvement over my Hayes mechanical disc brakes that came on my bike. The feel of the levers is so much better than any mechanical set I've used (including bb7s). They have a very smooth and frictionless pull and they modulate well too. I got them for $96.00 USD on Amazon and I'd say they are well worth it!

Submitted by Alexander a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2014

Strengths:    Good feedback.
Strong stopping power.
Positive lever feel.

Weaknesses:    Tad bit heavy.
Difficult to bleed thoroughly.
Noisy?

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair a few months back to replace my old set of Elixir 3s. I got them from my LBS and they were promptly installed on my bike. They needed a bleed as they felt quite spongy and initial braking during the first ride was inconsistent. I replaced the original Dot 4 with more heat resistant Dot5 fluid. I had to look online for a bleed set and bleeding was a hassle compared to the Deore brakes on my AM bike. After bleeding, I took them out for their maiden offroad ride. The most obvious difference with the Elixir 3s were that the brakes were a lot more powerful than my older brakes. The trail Where I ride is quite muddy and wet. The brakes outdid the old Elixir 3s in the wet by a giant margin. The feedback from the brakes were awesome. I could actually release the levers by a tiny bit and feel the bike go a bit faster on the downhills but o still could feel substantial power. Maybe it's just my imagination but I felt that my old Elixirs were prone to sudden fade during long descents while my new DB3s warned me by just gradually losing their stopping power instead of losing it all of a sudden like my old Elixir 3s. All in all, Avid fans should give this a try. Maybe I'll get a pair of DB5s now.....