Avid Code R Disc Brake System

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

You earn your wings by pointing it downhill and hanging on for dear life, not for wrapping your fist around your brake levers and praying. Let the confidence-inducing, hydraulic stopping power from the Avid Code R Disc Brakes be your parachute, should you choose to deploy.Unlike your collarbone, Bend Zone levers fully flex upon impact to prevent a catastrophic breakAvid's G3 Cleansweep rotors dissipate heat allowing you to confidently brake long and hardMatchmaker comparability keeps your handlebars clutter-free (clamps sold separately)

Submitted by George Rivera a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2014

Strengths:    The best brakes ever built by man!! Great stopping power and tons of durability

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none

Bottom Line:
In my local bikepark sometimes i have to brake really hard over big bumps and no match for this brakes. Even when going from full tilt to dry stop with no effort at all. Absolutely brilliant and no in air or squealing issues, its just smooth and cool haha and for the price is just breath taking, you would be an idiot if you dont buy these (no offense, my veredict)

Submitted by nathan a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2014

Strengths:    These brakes are really really good. They are super strong. I have never felt like I need more power. They are fairly easy to set up and get mounted. Easy to adjust etc.... They also look pretty nice.

Weaknesses:    None that I can contribute 100% to the brakes themselves.

Bottom Line:
I went from Avid Juicy 5's to these. I ran them for 2 years, with a 203 mm rotor in the front, and a 180mm in the rear. I never had to deal with fading or any other typical brake problems. The ONLY problem I have had, was last summer, broke the front brake lever in a light crash (truly light crash, really not hard lol). That was annoying. I also had the rear brake overheat on me and squeal like a dying cat for half a run. But seeing as I had been riding for 7 hours straight on really technical runs, that's probably not that suprising. Ive replaced the front code R with a brand new full Avid CODE. Ill have to see how that works out. Over all, these brakes are an awesome deal for what they cost. (I only got the CODE because it was on sale).

Favorite Trail:   haole (Bue Mountain)

Duration Product Used:   2 + years

-Avid CODE front w/203mm
-Avid CODE R rear w/180mm

Submitted by HELLBELLY a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2014

Strengths:    Incredible modulation, easy to set up and service, stupid amounts of power without a "stick in spokes" feel that comes with most "powerful" brakes. Oh, and they are a screaming deal too.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The Avid Code R's (2011 on) have all the pluses of the Codes without the cost, complexity and additional weight. Their modulation rivals the best brakes on the market (XTR trails, Hope M4's) at a fraction of the cost. I have ran a set on several different bikes since buying them three years ago and they work great. I liked them so much I just put another set on my second bike. Now, while they are based around the Elixir taper bore lever/reservoir design they do NOT have any of the Elixir issues (noise, fade, pump). I personally believe they are one of the best kept secrets in mountain bike brake pantheon are again an amazing. Top notch for AM/Trail/DH or riders that actually like brakes that don't suck.

Favorite Trail:   Local: Blankets/Big Creek OOT: Pisgah

Duration Product Used:   3 years +

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Hayes, Hope, XTR, Magura, Avid (Juicy, Elixirs).

Bike Setup:   Banshee Rune V2 (soon), Surly Instigator

Submitted by superiorcooking

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    Crazy stopping power
Easy setup
Easy tuning
Sexy look

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Perfect brake for a low price and has tons of power.
Upgrade from my previous Hayes Prime Expert and I am loving these.
After I replaced my front brake, even though nothing was wrong in the back, I replaced for another Avid Code R just because it was so amazing.
It's up there with the best.

Submitted by Ryan Farner a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2013

Strengths:    Great price, very strong stopping power, no unwanted noise, strong rotors that can take a beating, out of the box working great.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
This brake set is all you need for DH/freeride. I have these on my Transition TR250 and haven't had a single problem with them yet. The stopping power is great they have taken a pretty bad impact on the rear rotors and came away fine. Great product!

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Purchased At:   Omega Bicycle Shop

Submitted by Gman Jackson a Weekend Warrior from Prince George BC

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2011

Strengths:    INSANE stopping power. Went from Juicy 3 (So a big step up) to these. VERY easy to set up, solid package, and heaps cheaper than the CODE.

Weaknesses:    None thus far.

Bottom Line:
These brakes could stop a motorcycle. Immensely powerful, you barely have to feather the blade just to stop, it's crazy.

Favorite Trail:   Anything I don't have to ride up...

Purchased At:   Caps Bikes

X0 Drivetrain
Race Face

Submitted by Breal604 a Downhiller from North Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2011

Strengths:    POWER, solid factory bleed

Weaknesses:    the stock rotor I got is a boat anchor but you probably have rotors anyway, consider it a spare... and they come with organic pads (also useful as spares) so factor in some sintered pads too

Bottom Line:
The power increase from other brakes is significant. When I switch from Juicy's on one bike to Code R's on the other bike, it takes a few stops to get used to them. You need to use a lighter touch, but the payoff is tons of power with very little force at the lever.

After one summer on the Code's, I haven't had any issues with fade or inconsistent lever feel on long DH runs. In the past I found Juicy 5's more reliable than the 7's and people seem to blame the contact adjustment, so I avoided it altogether with the Code R's. And saved a few bucks too. Which I then had to spend on sintered pads to replace the stock organic ones.

Cheap, powerful, common parts/pads, and I should mention that they're pretty light to boot (with a good rotor). I think I'll put these on both bikes.

Favorite Trail:   *&%#@&*%

Purchased At:   Norco

Similar Products Used:   Saint, Juicy, Elixir, XT

Bike Setup:   big bouncy downhill bike

Submitted by darkness777 a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ U.S.

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Strengths:    awesome stopping power and the modulation is amazing but it takes some getting used to after using mechanical disc brakes for so long.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are awesome and i love them i cant wait to get more time on the trail so i can use them more often. i would definately recommend these brakes to others.

Favorite Trail:   Wasabi,Geronimo and National

Purchased At:   Cactus Bikes, Awhatu

Similar Products Used:   Avid BB7 203mm mechanical disc brakes

Bike Setup:   Transition Blindside with 180mm domain 302 avid code r 203mm disc brakes vivid 5.1 azonic outlaws and maxis minion dhf tires and sram drivetrain

Code R Caliper Leaking

Hi, I think my front Code R Caliper is leaking. Whenever I inspect my brake pads and front caliper they are always covered in brake fluid. I use my weed burner to get the fluid off and they don't squeak for a while but whenever I go to use by bike again they are squeaking like crazy. I tried takin ... Read More »

Code R Lever Change

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]I want to change the levers on my code r brakes to the ones from my elixr cr brakes, any problem with doing this? Would I just need to take off the levers from both then swap them over and possibly bleed after?[/FONT][/COLOR]Read More »

Brakes setup .Avid Code R + Elixir 3 metal scintered pads

I am about 80 kg and my bike is 15 kg. Running downhill (i have all mountain with 150 mm of travel) i had issue with my rear brake pads glazing . I am running 160 mm rotor in the rear and 180 mm in the front. The overheating of the pads was driving me nuts but i liked the way i was able to control ... Read More »

Code R not all pistons equal

So I was shortening a hose/doing a bleed and noticed that when I pump the lever (with the pads out) that two of the opposing pistons come out but the two further from the hose just wiggle but do not make inward progress. Do they need to be rebuilt? Is this normal on a 4 piston caliper?Read More »

Does Avid Code pads fit onto Avid Code R brakes?

Regarding the subject, is it possible? I've recently ordered a pair of 2011 Avid Code brake pads and was hoping it would fit into my 2011 Avid Code R brakes. Is it possible?Read More »