Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc Brake System

3.04/5 (98 Reviews)

The BB5 offers AvidsTri-Align Caliper Positioning System,Tool-free padreplacement, a melt-forged body and an inboard pad adjustment knob. Onetry and you’ll wonder ifThe BB5s are really entry-level brakes. Inboard knob adjustmentTri-Align Caliper positioning Includes caliper, adapters(front & rear), and G2 CleenSweep Rotor Approximate weight 335 grams MTB version Current new, retail boxed BB5 brakes come packaged with BOTH frontand rear adapters supplied by Avid. If a competitor is sel

Submitted by Jon Norman

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2014

Strengths:    a lot of power, great feel, cheap, look good,easy to set up.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
I bought just the calipers from Ebay and it took 5 minutes for me to replace my old ones and set the BB5s up. Straight away I felt a huge difference between them and my old ones (but my old ones were awful) and I could lock up both wheels with out bedding in the pads whatsoever. Locking the wheels is easy but not too easy. I have been riding all day and I am so happy with them, I don't see why they have such a bad rep.

Duration Product Used:   3 days

Purchased At:   http://www.ebay.co.u

Submitted by Arjen

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2014

Strengths:    cheap in advance/

Weaknesses:    They dont work when in rain, brake pads wear down VERY fast (also with rain) Very expensive brake pads.

Bottom Line:
Got these brakes on my recumbent bike. I wanted mechanical disc brakes, I didn't want a hydraulical system to leak during a vacation. A broken cable is repaired easier. First impression was good. (summer, dry weather). After the first emergency stop (went well) I noticed that braking wasn't that good compared before the emergency stop. Adjusted and everything went well. Then the fall began, and the rain began (Netherlands). I had to re-adjust the brakes two times a day, it seems that the brakes wear down faster when in a wet condition? When replacing the brake pads I noticed that the braking surface of the brakepads are very small. I can imagine that if the surface is bigger, braking works better and they don't wear down fast.
At this moment i have my bike a year and a half, and i ordered the fourth pair of brake pads. (in the Netherlands they cost 38 Euro (front and back) that is about $51. My advise is NOT to buy these very poor brakes.

Submitted by Paddy Ryan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Strengths:    No strengths I can think of

Weaknesses:    Endless adjusting...once adjusted, they work fairly well briefly. As mentioned in other reviews, breaking power deteriorates during ride. Pads are TOO small to provide effective grip on the disks. Back brake is almost useless.

Bottom Line:
I hate these brakes...unfortunately there are not a lot of options for disk brakes compatible with shift levers. Was going to order the Shimano version but they were recalled.... probably would be happy with the BB7 but i hate mine so much i want to try a different brand.

Submitted by Michael K

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2013

Strengths:    lighter then my Shimano M416s, easy setup, nice looking, compatibility, so far good stopping power

Weaknesses:    have to wait and see they don't have the pad area as the BB7 and other Shimano models

Bottom Line:
After learning to setup the Shimano m416s these are not too difficult. Be careful with the articulating washers when installing. I was happy to find that these work fine with my Shimano disks and levers.
These feel definitely lighter in the hand than the Shimano m416s. Here is how I set them up: turn the pad adjuster all the way out to give lots of clearance, put on the adapter first and screw that tight to the frame you can put the caliper on the disk to make sure the orientation is right. If the orientation is wrong the disk won't turn freely. Put the caliper on making sure that the articulating washers are put on correctly (they mirror each other on each side of the caliper. once the brake is on loosely tighten the pad adjuster as much as you can. Now leave those screws loose and hand actuate the brake holding it tight to the disk then cinch up the screws that hold calipers on. Let brakes open now and then back off the pad adjustment and see if the wheel spins freely. You can really move the install bolts and washers to get the perfect fit. So far the brakes work fine for my city riding. So far the stopping power is good even going downhill.

Submitted by vk45de a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap, can be powerful and drag-free if setup right. Tool-free pad adjustment

Weaknesses:    Pads need to be baked to get full power. Piston run out of stroke way before pads gone.

Bottom Line:
I got these b/c I can't find pads for my stock Tektro IOX's. Well they were weaker than the IOX until you bake the pads. ~5months later I run out of pad adjustment to compensate for wear and still had ~1.5mm of pad on either side. Had to make some shims for them b/c I wasn't going to throw away pads at 50% - I'd rather get an upgrade with that money.

3chili's for value b/c short-life pads

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   Hayes HFX comp(similar to Mag), Tektro IOX, Grimeca system 11

Bike Setup:   2007 IronHorse Warrior 1.3

Submitted by Sam a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2013

Strengths:    If adjusted regularly they work fine, good stopping power for beginner-intermediate XC courses. Cheap for a disc brake.

Weaknesses:    If you hit the trails fairly regularly (I average around 2 times a week) these brakes need adjusting after every couple of rides. I have been using them for a couple of months and already the pads are nearly unusable from wear. When newly adjusted the back brakes tend to lock up, even when not much force is applied to the levers.

Bottom Line:
For beginner/beginner-intermediate mountain bikers these breaks are ideal for you as an upgrade from V brakes. I have never tried the BB7's but I have heard they have way more stopping power than these, and they do not compare to any hydro disc brakes that I have tried. These brakes are definately not for experienced XC/Trail riders or for downhill riders of any standard (they weren't designed for that though).

Favorite Trail:   Kenny's Trail

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Purchased At:   Hadley Cycles

Bike Setup:   Giant Boulder 0 29er with Nobby Nics

Submitted by LouD

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Strengths:    Work well when new and properly adjusted.

Weaknesses:    They tend to wear quickly and require constant adjustment. First time they really let me down was on a steep downhill section where I was fortunate to have a long flat runway at the bottom of the decline. These came stock on my bike. I was considering upgrading to AVID BB7s but after reading reviews on the Shimano XT BR M785 Hydraulics I think that is the direction I am going to go and use 180 mm rotors.

Bottom Line:
Overall these are not bad javascript:document.PostReviewForm.submit()for casual trail riding. They are not designed for serious MTB use especially downhill.

Submitted by Dylan W. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, braking strength, adjust-ability, mountability.

Weaknesses:    Noisyness

Bottom Line:
These are awesome disc brakes to start out with. If you are starting to get good at mountain biking, then these are for you. They stop your bike a lot faster than rim brakes. I definitely recommend these to someone who is new to the sport. You get tons of bang for your buck with these brakes. I would not recommend these to racers or experienced mountain bikers. They are good to get for your kid if they want to get good also.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Avid Juicy 5s

Bike Setup:   Yeti ARC with fox fork and shimano

Submitted by Rat S Rectum a Cross Country Rider from Rifle, Colorado, US

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    Simple to adjust and maintain and very, very, very, reliable

Weaknesses:    Not for down hill racing

Bottom Line:
Built the bike for multi day back country unsupported riding. The BB5's were given to me brand new in the box by a friend. I put them on the bike, using Jaguar Ripcord tied to Cane Creek Reverse Curve levers. Replaced stock pads with EBC (CFA 439HH) pads.

These brakes work in all weather and surface conditions. Have submerged the bike to above the calipers in silt filled streams and rode on with no issues.

Adjustment is easy; with new EBC pads I adjust the cable at the caliper and then switch to the levers when the caliper cable adjust screw is halfway out of the barrel. The EBC Pads are good for at least 2000 miles of dirt riding.

Riding solo - days away from help and usually out of cell phone range - on a rigid frame - means I am not riding fast and hard so I have never tried the brakes under race conditions. On long down hills with good trail I still keep the speed down. The only time I have let the bike rip downhill was descending Eagle Pass and the BB5's will fade, not enough to completely fail but enough to bring a little concern into the game.

For back country riding the BB5 set up has been perfect for me.

For value I rate this brake system a 5, for overall I give it a 4 because the stock pads were not near as good as EBC pads and EBC pads really make this system work well.

Favorite Trail:   Back Country

Purchased At:   Given to me new in b

Similar Products Used:   Various Hope hydros

Bike Setup:   Custom built aluminum rigid 69r with carbon fork and 160 rotors front and rear

Submitted by bikeman1 a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap, Works fine if adjusted properly

Weaknesses:    Needs adjusting once a week.

Bottom Line:
These brakes work alright when adjusted properly. They can be pulled apart and cleaned very easily which improves the performance of the brake. You don't have to re-adjust after removing the wheel, you must install the wheel with the bikes weight on it, so you center it. I can perform a 2 finger stop with these brakes, but not 1. Just using standard Jagwire housing (Not ripcord) and it works quite well. You would probably get more power if you installed compression-less housing and cables along with the Speed dial levers. I've had the brakes for over 6 months now, and the brakes just need constant adjusting otherwise you won't have any power. The pads also wear on an angle, this is due to a design fault in the caliper, so you also have to quite often sand the pads down to get them to contact fully on the rotor. These brakes would suit a city bike, not someone who's always on the trails.I wouldn't buy these brakes again, instead the BB7's for the ease of setup/adjustment and better power.

Submitted by flynbryan19 a Cross Country Rider from Salisbuy, NC, US

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2012

Strengths:    Simple Design and do what they're designed to at a low price point.

Weaknesses:    They do require adjustment each time the wheels are removed from the bike.

Bottom Line:
These brakes really aren't as bad as the rap they're given. True, they're not the most powerful brakes I've ever ridden or the highest quality, but they work. They stop me in every situation I've given them and are always predictable. They could be a stronger, but if you want stronger brakes spend more money and get a higher level of brakes.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Trance 4 setup for XC

Submitted by Greenbelt a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2011

Weaknesses:    I've put about 4k miles on these brakes commuting in all weather since April. I do not recommend. After the first 1k miles, need near-constant adjustment. Rapid loss of braking power -- within an hour of noticing some fade. Since my commute is 75 minutes, I can leave the house with brakes that feel fine and have nothing by the time I get to work.

Bottom Line:
Upgrade if you have; avoid if you were considering. Stopping is just too important to try to save a few dollars.

Favorite Trail:   NE Branch

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   2011 Jamis Bosanova (commuter/touring).

Submitted by skip malibu a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2011

Strengths:    When new these are miles ahead of my old cantilever system.I haven't tried any other disc brakes to compare to.

Weaknesses:    After a new hundred miles they need constant adjustment. Lose breaking force 3/4 of the way through 90 minute ride.

Bottom Line:
Nice brakes for light duty use. If you're doing any downhill they lose braking force too quickly and suddenly. You could get left with no brakes when you can't afford it. Would not buy them again and am looking to upgrade.

Favorite Trail:   SFU's Joe's and Mel's Trails

Submitted by kzeiszler a Cross Country Rider from Bismarck, ND

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    better then rim breaks, good enough to do most easy and moderate difficulty trails, easy to service

Weaknesses:    noisy, service often, weak if your going fast

Bottom Line:
for a first disc break not bad, but if your upgrading just go to a BB7

Favorite Trail:   ma da hey

Purchased At:   epic

Bike Setup:   KM single speed

Submitted by RipRoarer a Weekend Warrior from Washington DCq

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    There brakes worked well when the bike is new but soon needed adjusting. It seems that they now need adjustments at least once a week.

Weaknesses:    Always need adjusting. Often don't do what I expect them to do: STOP ME. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I have to tighten the brakes very often. They are now, after only 400 miles, beyond adjustment.

Bottom Line:
I love my bike but hate these brakes. I will try to change them.