Ashima PCB PanCake Brake Disc Brake System

2.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Wrath of Kyle a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, great modulation

Weaknesses:    Hardware is flimsy, like the bolts and such.

Bottom Line:
I've been running the PCB brakes for over a year, and I've ridden them all over the west coast, in Moab, Oregon, and Nor-Cal where I am from. I have never had anything but good times with these brakes, they are very light, not terribly expensive if you are patient, and I really like the feel of them. I am mostly a XC rider and I weigh around 200 with gear, and I mainly used them on a Titus racer X.
I think the reason I have had success with these brakes is because I have big hands and I like the levers adjusted pretty far out from the handlebars. These brakes have a different feel to them, it takes more effort to get stopping power from them than other brakes I have tried, including BB7's, juicy's, and elixirs. The modulation is great, the Avids felt like it was either on or off, not much in between. The PCB's you can easily brake just as much as you need. And if you squeeze hard enough you will lock up the wheels. It takes more lever travel to do that tho. I'd be curious to know if the people who have complaints with these brakes and their power are running the levers close to the bars. I would say that these brakes require more lever travel and more effort than other hydros.
Bottom line, these brakes work great for me. I run them on both my bikes. I also have big hands and I run the levers pretty far away from the bar. They are quite light, and I got both my sets for a little over $100 on ebay. If you have big hands and ride mostly cross country I think these brakes are the best. The problems I had were very weak aluminum rotor bolts that stripped, and the plastic housing that holds the levers to the bars broke. But I emailed Ashima and they mailed me new ones right away, no charge either. So they are not perfect, but I prefer them to all other brakes that I have tried.

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by Brian Krause

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    Brakes are lightweight due to aluminum bolts all over the place, composite lever body and minimalist rotor. Have a torque wrench nearby. They are inexpensive... and you get what you pay for.

Weaknesses:    Stopping power for a rider weight of 250lbs on a 22lb 29er is completely unacceptable. Impossible to lock up the brakes or even stop safely on pavement. Weak spongy feeling offroad and no chance to brake late into corners. I'm in Michigan so I can't comment on long decents and heating up.

Bottom Line:
I manage a shop and would not in good conscience recommend these for anyone. My customer was not satisfied and neither am I. They don't even stop effectively for me at 180lbs testing the same customer's 29er. After contacting the distributor that sold us the brakes to discuss warranty/satisfaction, I was told that he could not find any contact info for Ashima and thus can't take them back... yet. We have tried cleaning the rotor and existing pads, replacing the pads, reach/lever adjustments... They simply don't work for me or my customers. Avid Mechanical BB7's are far better than these.

Submitted by Shaw B&J Bicycles/Hammer Nutrition

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    I like the fact that they do NOT lock up when you touch the lever (like XTR and AVID). I truly believe this has made me smoother and faster! Easy to install. Once you get them dialed in, this brake is hard to beat for the money invested.

Weaknesses:    A little hard to get dialed in. Aligning to your disc is critical or you will get rub...rub... rub.. You must have a perfectly straight disc to start with. If you have to bleed, it is a little difficult to get every bit of air out (although I did not have the Ashima Bleeding kit).

Bottom Line:
Great brakes if you wanna improve your corner speed and increase your lap times. Remember, skidding does not mean you are braking properly. These brakes will make sure that you are not locking up your wheels (you can if you really apply pressure). Did I mention that they are SUPER LIGHT too? My brother (expert from Montana) borrowed my bike and it took him about 3 minutes and 6 seconds to get used to them.

Submitted by Walt a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Very light, pretty cheap.

Weaknesses:    Um, you can't stop. Power is pathetic. "Pancake" is what you'll be when you hit a tree, I guess.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money. These brakes don't work.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Demo set from distri

Similar Products Used:   Avid, Hope, etc.

Bike Setup:   180 front/160 rear rotors

Submitted by tinley a Cross Country Rider from New Forest

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Very light weight

Weaknesses:    Utter rubbish performance

Bottom Line:
They stayed on the bike for no longer than the bed in period. Now power at all. They got very hot bedding them in on a flat road. They flex when braking and provide no confidence at all. Thankfully Bicycle World agreed and gave me a full refund.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Skyline

Purchased At:   Bicycle World, Ringw

Similar Products Used:   Hope Sole were better! Shimano XT, Hayes HFX, Avid Juicy, Hayes Stroker Trail, Hope X2 Race

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed, Hope Pro2 hubs, Mavic UST rims

Submitted by tiggersilhouette a Cross Country Rider from KL, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Modulation, stopping power and weight. And looks!

Weaknesses:    I had to install the brakes upside down as the hydraulic cable comes out from the bottom of the brake and interferes with my XTR shifters. It doesn't affect the performance of the brake at all and will annoy you only if asthetics are very high on your agenda.

Bottom Line:
Got a demo set from Ashima a little while ago and have been riding them on my race bike since. I'm running a 180 on the front and 160 on the rear (I weight 77kg). The modulation is the best I have ever experienced, including the Formula R1's. The control on technical descents is excellent and the stopping power has meant I've pushed technical descents way beyond what I've done before. The net result is I'm faster and have a bigger smile on my face on my favourite trails! This really is a great brake.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Kiara

Purchased At:   Demo set from Ashima

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT and Formula R1.

Bike Setup:   Maverick Durance, lightweight XC race setup.