Shimano XTR SM-RT98 Disc Brake Rotors

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The innovative Shimano XTR SM-RT98 Ice Tech brake rotors feature an aluminum core clad with stainless steel braking surfaces. The innovative design sheds weight, dissipates heat and dramatically improves overall performance.

Submitted by Alfred

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight dissipate heat better, excellent braking

Bottom Line:
overall these are very nice rotors,I was initially eyeing for RT-81 then found this LBS and they are giving it for a price of 1 piece RT-81!!!! i didnt waste a time and drive on that LBS. here in PH RT-81 are price at 2.6-3K pair. I got this XTR rotor at 1.4K pair!!! WOW!!! Ice-tech really works especially paired with Ice-tech pads. I got XT brakeset on these rotors. EXCELLENT Braking on any conditions!!

Submitted by JPHOYLE a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2012

Strengths:    Light, CenterLock (no bolts), looks cool.

Weaknesses:    If bent, you are screwed.

Bottom Line:
Unlike a regular rotor, which is one-piece, the XTR design has an aluminum carrier (center hub) with the stainless-steel rotor riveted to it. I fell backwards/sideways and bent my rear XTR rotor while climbing a steep and rocky chute. What I discovered is that unlike a one-piece rotor, the XTR rotor is almost impossible to bend back. I was able to (barely) bend the rotor enough to ride home. Because of the design, forget about truing the XTR rotor once it is bent (as I have with one-piece rotors in the past). If your riding conditions and/or style lend themselves to occasional endo's, skip the XTR rotors. I have switched back to XT rotors and XT pedals as those are the XTR components that I have used that haven't stood up to my (rare) crashes. Everything else XTR has been great. Two Chilis due to poor crash-worthiness.

Favorite Trail:   California