Shimano XT V Brake System

3.54/5 (412 Reviews)

Shimano XT V-Brakes

Submitted by Andre Gallant

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    They provide consistent stopping power.

Weaknesses:    For the price, could be lighter

Bottom Line:
To pay more than the cost of LX, they had better be lighter, work better and/ or last longer. I don't know about the last longer, but they are a bit lighter. And if they work better, I can't really tell. but they do work well. Good brakes, maybe not quite worth the added cost over LX. But the jump to XTR is too big for me to consider.

Submitted by Houseinthewoodsbiketours a Cross Country Rider from Port Orchard, WA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Superlight and strong, parallel pull with great stopping power. Koolstop makes great replacement pads.

Weaknesses:    As rim brakes, they lose power when the rim gets wet.

Bottom Line:
If you can find them somewhere, these old school brakes are the next best thing to disk brakes. Newer XT brakes aren't parallel-pull (XTR is though, I think), so make sure they are parallel pull to get the best mechanism. I have used these brakes for thousands of miles and they still have tons of stopping power. I suppose XTR from the same era would be good too, but I think they were essentially the same as XT.

Similar Products Used:   2008 XT V brakes, cantis, Elixir R

Bike Setup:   95 GT Zaskar (yep, still riding OEM brakes)

Submitted by Lonnie Russell a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte NC

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2007

Strengths:    using them on rigid specalized bike that sees mild off road and commuting duties, brakes stop well,

Weaknesses:    SCREAMING - HOWLING noise from both sets of brakes, like stated before, would almost impact tree/car rather than use these screming demons. also stock pads are lke grinding stones on my rims, kool-stops work better,still can not adjust the noise out of these junk brakes. ready to trash can these and chalk up my loss.

Bottom Line:
Cannot recommend these brakes - unless you really want to annoy all the other people on the trails and wake EVERYONE up on morning commutes [I leave for work at 05:30 in the morning]. LX brakes work better, stop as well and no noise.If I could understand German I would try the fix listed further down or on another thread. but instead I'll probally just toss these pos brakes in the trash. Giving them the lowest ratings because even thought they stop well I just can't stand to use them. my .02

Favorite Trail:   lots of them

Purchased At:   lbs and e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Have some of the straight arm [not paraell push} LX brakes on another bike, they work great - stop as well and best of all NO screaming banshees. btw. I am using them on a Trek tamdem.

Bike Setup:   old Specalized Rock Combo. with mix of LX and XT drivetrain, Mavic rims and combo tires.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Los Alamos, NM

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    Parallelogram linkage is great idea in theory and easy to adjust, no lack of stopping power

Weaknesses:    As seems to be common, the front squealed like crazy, they're not the lightest out there

Bottom Line:
The front squealed like crazy. It was loud enough that the noise actually hurt. I tried toe in, toe out, new pads, every adjustment I could. Rubbing a bit of WD-40 on the rim make the squeal go away and didn't sacrifice brake power, but only worked for about half an hour. I tried to switch the mounting plates like this website (http://www.nobrakes.de/technik/vbrakesilentsystem.htm) said, but could not get the pin out.

After a week I was fed up and just put some mid-range Tektros on. The squeal immediately disappeared and they stop just as well, plus they're significantly lighter.

The new '08 XT v-brakes do NOT have the parallelogram linkage. I wonder if Shimano listened to our complaints?

2 chilis because they do stop the bike, but at a really high cost.

Favorite Trail:   Reverse Traverse

Similar Products Used:   Using Tektros now, which are lighter and don't squeal

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Denver CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    They work

Bottom Line:
I can guarantee that my XT v-brakes are louder than anyones on here! Something about the slop in the cantis coupled with the aluminum fork creates a blood curdling shriek every time the front brake is applied. I've gotta be hitting close to 140 decibles with that bad boy! Oddly, the rear brake is dead silent.

Favorite Trail:   Cap'n Jacks

Purchased At:   I forgot

Similar Products Used:   Yes

Bike Setup:   Cannondale XS 800 with aluminum fork and Headshok. Mavic Speed City rim. Shimano pads.

Submitted by Tim a Racer from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Strengths:    Good stopping power with 2 fingers

Weaknesses:    Awful sounding. They squeak like mad. I changed pads, adjusted toe-in, nothing could stop the awful sound these brakes made.

Bottom Line:
These brakes truly suck! I tolerated them too long, the best move I did was get them off my bike and replace with Avids. They were expensive and made so much noise on the front brake. They did have good power though

Similar Products Used:   Avid Single Digit 7

Bike Setup:   Norco Torrent 1998 XC, Kinesis Maxlight rigid fork, XT/LX drivetrain, 12-27 Ultegra cassette, easton carbon seatpost

Submitted by George a Racer from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    great breaking power

Bottom Line:
the xt breakes have great stopping power with only 2 fingers. i also had the problem with the squeaking. i can tell you all if they squeak they will always do that no matter what you do to them. the only way to shut them up is to switch the paralellogram. for instructions see:http://www.nobrakes.de/technik/vbrakesilentsystem.htm. after i could not stand the noise anymore it did it. i can assure you it works. even when it rains. no sound at all. if you miss it hold the break and push the bike backwards (i sometimes do just to hear it again) BE AWARE THAT YOUR WARRANTY VOIDS AND THAT YOU DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK! now that did this i am very pleased with my xt's.

Favorite Trail:   city racing

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   shimano lx

Bike Setup:   marzocchi mx comp, mavic xc 717, all xt

Submitted by BLOPA a Weekend Warrior from BUENOS AIRES

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2006

Strengths:    very very power stop!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
this is a brake very powerful, much more better than the original bike`s tektro. who needs disc? really.
its a very good option. no surprises.

Purchased At:   local store

Similar Products Used:   tektro

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from mississauga

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Great stopping power

Weaknesses:    perhaps in the wet

Bottom Line:
Light, cheaper now that disks are standard, a good buy and under rated nowadays XT vbrakes stop hard, better then my avid brakes that i had for quite some time.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Avid V brakes

Bike Setup:   all XT parts

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2005

Strengths:    Very durable and look good. Good braking power

Weaknesses:    Squeak!! Somtimes prefer to go into the tree than listen to them squeak to stop. Tried the pad angle adjustment, sanding the pads, cleaning the rims, nothing works. Finally decided to buy new pads and seems to be much better. Did i mention they squeak.

Bottom Line:
The brakes are good if you can deal with high pitched squeaking everytime you wish to slow down. It lets everyone know where you are...

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Cheap stock brakes (didn't squeak and stopped the bike)

Bike Setup:   XT, LX, Manitou Black Comp Fork

Submitted by JAKE a Downhiller from VEGAS

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2005

Strengths:    THEY WILL STOP YOU!

Weaknesses:    PADS SUCK! TRIED NEW PADS! CALUPERS SUCK TOO!

Bottom Line:
IN LINE...TOE IN...TOE OUT...$20 FOR KOOL STOPs...3mos OF
FORKING AROUND WITH THIS POS THAT SOUNDED LIKE MY EX-WIFE
WAS WAY BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY! .......CALLED PRICE POINT
AND ORDERED A SET OF AVID SD-7s...$89 FOR BRAKES AND LEVERS.

PUT THE KOOL STOPs ON THE SD-7s...PUT THEM ON THE BIKE...
ADUSTED...TEST RIDE...XTs IN THE TRASH!!! NO MORE MEMORYs
OF MY EX-WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   NOTHINGS SIMILAR!

Bike Setup:   ITs NOT THE ISSUE! MAYBE PROMAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo, Japan

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    Very strong

Weaknesses:    Squeal with stock pads

Bottom Line:
I am a bit of a clydesdale at 215 lbs (weight lifter) and tend to break a lot of parts. I upgraded hoping to find something that could stop me reliably from high speeds and hold well on steep downhills.

These brakes are very powerful as expected and have great feel. However, with the stock pads and no booster, they squealed like banshees.

I adjusted them as suggested below with limited results. I also tried Koolstop pads and added a Tioga brake booster to the front with some reduction in noise. They still woke the dead on long steep downhills.

Maybe I had more problems due to fork and frame flex. I can see the frame and forks bow (even with brake booster up front) when I squeaze the levers too hard. Yes, I am using V-brake levers.

Recently I upgraded to BBB triple compound veestop pads from Y's Cycle in Tokyo for 525 yen (about $5 and much cheaper than Koolstops) for a complete set (front and rear). Problem solved! The feel is great too.

I recommend these brakes for anyone who needs more power than traditional V-brakes, but does not want to upgrade to discs (my frame does not have bosses). I suggest replacing the pads with BBB's to eliminate the squeal.

I give them 4 flaming chilis for value since I had to buy two sets of pads and a brake booster before the squeal when away. For performance they get 5 big flaming chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Tamagawa river

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Rigid KHS Montana Crest upgraded to 27-speed with LX and XT components

Submitted by Ned a Cross Country Rider from Cumberland Plateau, TN,USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Strengths:    Powerful stops, right now.

Weaknesses:    I've had none.

Bottom Line:
No squeal, ever. I've used these brakes for seven years. I have the Shimano carbon brake arch boosters front and rear. Maybe the reason people have the squeal problem is that their brakes are more powerful than their fork is stiff...

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse hardtail, Manitou SX, USE post, Raceface cranks, XT/Mustang wheelset, SRAM drivetrain, Controltech stem/barends, Richie Racelite bar, Smoke tires- 21 lbs.

Submitted by Chris Pollett a Racer from London, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2005

Strengths:    Great all around brakes. Easy pad replacement and adjustment

Weaknesses:    The press fit parts tend to loosen or develop play but its not too bad.

Bottom Line:
Great for the money and as for the squeel, learn to adjust them and set them right and they are never noisy except in wet conditions.

Favorite Trail:   fanshawe lake

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   XTR Canties, Magura Hydrolics

Bike Setup:   Nuke Proof Frame Full XT, XTR Rear, V brakes and Spin Wheels

Submitted by david a Cross Country Rider from Manchester UK

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2005

Strengths:    Stopping power is very good.
I like the tension adjustment system with the allen key fitting not the screwdriver fitting.

Weaknesses:    They HOWL on the front. The rear is fine.

Bottom Line:
For the price this is a reasonable piece of kit. If you are after Vees that will stop the bike they will do this and then some provided you use clean cables every so often and replace the outers to keep the whole lot running nice and smooth.

Be warned unless you are one of gods children the front will make enough noise to wake the dead at a pitch that will make them want to kill you. This happens in all conditions, wet, muddy. Tried everything to make the noise go away from cleaning the rims with nail varnish remover to toeing. Nothing works. The noise vanished when I upgraded to XTR.

If it wasn't for the noise these would get 4 chillis. They are not quite as good as the XTR's but are nonetheless a good piece of gear. Due to the noise I give them a 3. 4 for value because they were so cheap.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles