Shimano Acera Brakes Brake System

2.11/5 (56 Reviews)

Shimano Acera Brakes

Submitted by chilone a Cross Country Rider from Divide, Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Stops the bike very well

Weaknesses:    Doesn't make bike go faster

Bottom Line:
I bought this brake last minute for the front because I upgraded the forks, stem, bars, etc. and my old Deore center pull was not compatible with my forks. I planned on getting something better when time allowed but after using them, I really see no need. The bike is mainly for my commute which is part dirt road and part highway and this brake stops great at all speeds and I see no need for improvement. I'm pretty much gearing the bike for mainly road use and v-brakes fit the bill just fine. They are lighter than disc (which I have on my XC bike) as a bonus too :o]

Favorite Trail:   From here to there

Similar Products Used:   Deore, etc.

Bike Setup:   1995ish Haro Extreme, Dart-3, old 7 speed Deore XT and hubs, Easton EA50 bars, EA70 stem, Cane Creek S3, Ritchey rims, WTB saddle, Oury shiznits.

Submitted by Quentin a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Strengths:    Good tolerances, well made

Weaknesses:    Cannot dismantle to clean and lube

Bottom Line:
I have worked with various V-Brakes. On most of them the brakes work the same way, a brass sleeve in the arm slips over the fixed post and can be removed for cleaning and lubing.

On the Shimano the bearings are captive and cannot be dismantled making cleaning and lubing the bearing sleeve difficult if not impossible. I wonder how long the brakes will last, given that they get covered in mud from the tires

Other than that the tolerances on the brakes are good - no slop - and the brakes are well made. The springs are strong and easily adjusted.

I got these to replace Tektro brakes that broke when the adjusting screw hit a tree, but I think I prefer the Tektro.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Tektro, Promax

Submitted by Omar a Cross Country Rider from Penang, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2006

Strengths:    Only Good at early stage

Weaknesses:    The Pads, and like i said only good at early stage, imagine it after 6 months

Bottom Line:
When I first bought this brake I was amazed by how good it is at breaking. I fell off my bike at my first run but after a few runs and going downhill at high speed, the brakes loose all its power. I must use about 3 fingers to make the brake slow down and I crashed at Penang Hill cause this brake will not slow down quickly and i crashed, thank god i was ok. Another thing is this brake really is BAD during wet conditions, I can pull my whole lever and the brake will never brake, I crashed at my house gate cause of the brakes. But if you are a beginner or a weekend rider this brakes is ok but if you are like me, everyday cycling - upgrade to a better brakes like Avid SD7 - oh yeah before I finish up my review, the brake RIMS is the LAMEST!!!, it practically make my rear wheel rims black and i must clean it everytime so that i can brake, if not it will just slide. Dont bother to change the pads, just upgrade to another V's

Similar Products Used:   Avid SingleDigit 7

Submitted by Ed from Topeka Ks

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Strengths:    Decent stopping power, fairly worry free.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Noisy/Weak when wet, Stock pads leave residue on rims.

Bottom Line:
Fisher spec'd these brakes on my HKEK ($919), though I suspect he thought people would switch to discs. It's a really nice bike with disc bosses, disc hubs, and Avid FR-5 levers...so it looks like Fisher made a bike that was just aching to go Mech disc and just haphazzardly threw the Shimano 420's on it to save $.

Anyway...I used these brakes for a few months until I saved up enough to Juicy-up. They performed very well under dry conditions. Good stopping power, mediocre modulation. Not too powerful in moisture, a bit noisy too. I would not suggest anyone buying these brakes 'after-factory' for a bike, but for OEM...they're okay. Avid V-brakes are soooo cheap these days, you may as well get those if youre gonna upgrade your existing system to a nicer rim-type brake.

Similar Products Used:   Deore V-Brake, Avid SD 2.0, Avid Juicy-5's

Bike Setup:   Stock '05 Fisher HKEK + LX HT II Cranks + ODI Lock-On's + Now using Avid Juicy 5's

Submitted by dorsey land a Downhiller from georgia

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    on gt timberline. Well, they stop me and will throw me off the bike if I am not careful. I weigh 180 lb. I am kinda' proud of myself b/c I have learned to adjust my brakes. You have to balance at the lever, at the cable, and the small screws for centering and they work fine. I usually clean the black crud off with alchohol as haynes repair manual suggest and they squeak very little, if at all. If I consistantly clean the rims I have sufficient stopping power. I have had mud, and still no complaint.

Weaknesses:    When it's wet , even raining, I had sufficient stopping power, but not when the black crud is left on, then there is almost no stopping power. If squeaking is occuring I would attribute that to a bent rim that needs truing or debri on the rim.

Bottom Line:
They're fine. Oil the cable entry and exit points around housing, and oil cantilevers themselves (not rims!) and they work just fine. I wish I had a complaint just to fit-in with these reviews, but, I don't. Thanks acera. :)

Favorite Trail:   yellow river

Purchased At:   atlanta advertiser

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Tom Whatever a Weekend Warrior from guelph

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    BUY NEW PADS AND YOURR BE FINE FUK.

Bottom Line:
LEVER SET FROM ACERA IS GOOD BUT THE PADS SUCK, DONT BUY THE COOL STOPS UNLESS THEY"RE BLACK... The comoured will make you squeek

Favorite Trail:   Havent found one yet

Purchased At:   Bitsand bikes

Submitted by Will Garrity a Weekend Warrior from Havertown PA United States

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Strengths:    ...........

Weaknesses:    A)Crap in Rain
B)Black Goo on Rims
C)Cant Stop Well Goin Fast

Bottom Line:
replace these brakes if you have them, they suck!

Favorite Trail:   Marsh Creek

Purchased At:   Bike Line Broomall

Similar Products Used:   None this horendous!

Bike Setup:   Fisher Joshua, Rock Shox, Bontrager Comps, Chris King

Submitted by alex a Cross Country Rider from nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
ok i have acera v-brakes that came oem on my bike, the only complants is that u got to brake earlear in the wet and they make lots of noise once u clean the black stuff off your rim they work fine. i couldent expect nething better n a $800 bike, acera front deralers on the other hand aare crap mine just snaped on me while i was changing gear.

Submitted by FuRi0s0 Blah a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Strengths:    Last long,
Stop Well (If correctly set up)

Weaknesses:    Leave black tar stuff on rims
Squeak when wet
Enourmously hard to set up.

Bottom Line:
Great for starting out, but don't expect them to be perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Quad Disc Brake,
Deore V's

Bike Setup:   Saracen X-ess, Rockshox Jetts, Deore throughout, Hayes semi hydraulic discs on deore disc hubs/D521's

Submitted by Steven Bolton from U.K

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Strengths:    Dirt Cheap, handle very smoothly.

Weaknesses:    On long downhill streches they can wear out quite a lot. I sometimes had a squeek problem.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are great if u r starting out and getting into freeride. I've had them for over a year now and when i started out doing easy stuff, they worked great. Now I am going into harder and more stressful stuff I am switching to Magura Hydraulics.