Pro Max V Brake System

2.68/5 (76 Reviews)

Pro Max V-Brake

Submitted by jesterz99 a Cross Country Rider from ny

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    Came on bike, work fine. stop fine.

Bottom Line:
As an ex=bmx racer i didnt really use my brakes, as an older mtb rider they work great, in rain , mud . etc...

I think alot of people dont know how to ride , I would probably agree they may not be for downhill , but as a brake system they work fine.

Feather your brakes learn how to use them , I go nuts and never worried about my braking !!!!!

Favorite Trail:   rocky point

Bike Setup:   haro v series

Submitted by abaris a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2011

Strengths:    Bought them to upgrade a really old bike and They Suck! Remove the Modulator noodle and they still Suck!

Weaknesses:    They add weight to a brake-less bike

Bottom Line:
They Suck!! Put the orginals back on!!!

Favorite Trail:   SLICKROCK

Purchased At:   local bike shop-its

Similar Products Used:   SRAM

Bike Setup:   Rayleigh Edge

Submitted by Bud Nilsson a Weekend Warrior from Lodi,Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
All Bicycle brakes need upgrade for max safety!

ABS brake system for bicycles !

www.budbrake.com

Submitted by wirehead a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
So, this is a popular brake to have on a low-end hybrid or XC bike. And, you know what, I cyclecommuted with these brakes through rainstorms and descended mountains and rode offroad and stuff. We're not talking about blowing up in a mushroom cloud the second you hit the brakes or anything.

About the biggest and most annoying property of them is that the torsion spring holding the arm down has a habit of popping off whenever you pop the noodle off to get your tires off. I never tried to adjust them, I left that to the bike shop.

On the other hand, once you've ridden the bike long enough to wear down the brake pads.... if you compare the cost of a decent set of V-brakes... say the Avid SD7's that I replaced 'em with... to the cost of getting a good set of brake pads when the pads that come with the break wear out... maybe it's not the world's worst idea to upgrade... and it's not like you need anything other than a pair of pliers and the multi-tool you already have for emergencies to change it out.

But then you say, "Self, why the heck am I replacing brakes. We're talking about a piece of machined metal with springs and screws in the right places. The whole point of V-brakes is that they are dead-simple. Sure, somebody can make *lighter* brakes, but can they make *better* brakes?"

So, in order to save you the angst of trying to answer that question, sight unseen, I'll answer it for you. If you look at the Avid SD7 next to this set of brakes, it's not like the Avid is made of some exotic alloy or is radically different in shape and form... I'm guessing maybe the geometry is different so it responds to the brake levers a little differently... or maybe just the brake pads are a better formula... but somehow there's just not a whole lot of braking power, even when you really squeeze the levers. So I'm swapping 'em out one-at-a-time and discover that with a Pro Max in front and a SD7 in back... the back brake is suddenly a lot more powerful than the front brake.

So, that's the bottom line. It's just a cheap OEM brake that bike makers can use to shave a few bucks off the purchase price of a bike that your average person isn't going to notice. Not bad enough to merit a recall, not unsafe enough to actually hurt somebody, but clearly not a very good set of brakes. If you are stingy like me, you can probably make do just fine with them, but once the pads are worn down (took me about 2300 miles) it's time to just toss the works and get some better V-brakes. There is a notable performance difference between these and the SD7's I got because everybody reviewing 'em here was singing their praises.

Similar Products Used:   Avid Single Digit 7

Bike Setup:   Fuji Nevada 3.5 w/ Shimano Altus EZ Fire brake/shifter levers, etc.

Submitted by thrilla gorilla a Racer from everett, wa, usa!

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    last long great all weather

Weaknesses:    when wet leave black residue

Bottom Line:
these people cant use brakes for crap, ive had mine for two years! two bikes with same brakes! ive got a mini chopper that goes 50 and thes brakes and pads stop me dead in my tracks. i have to be carefull not to slam the fronts,
my buddy has promax and they do the same thing they scare you! no matter what all v brakes usually rub.
i recomend these brakes to anybody who likes great brakes for an even better price. a tip for users with a bad time with thes brakes are you aware thet your supposed to break in your pads before use? not imediatly go down a hill an see if they stop you

Bike Setup:   motorized schwinn stingray, schwinn high sierra

Submitted by JD a Weekend Warrior from Austin Tx

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Strengths:    Good springy set of v-brakes.

Bottom Line:
I can't believe how long lasting these brakes have been. I compare them to brakes that come with other superstore bikes and they clearly outlast them. I have a friend with a 1yr old Mongoose bike and it's no-name v-brakes no longer spring outward. The Pro-max brakes are still springing and have been donated to the Mongoose.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Came With Bike

Similar Products Used:   top pull (Y) brakes, no name crappy super store brakes.

Bike Setup:   2004 Schwinn Ranger 2.6 FS

Submitted by damir a Weekend Warrior from zagreb

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    worst piece of crap that was ever made on the face of this planet

Bottom Line:
if you want to buy bike with promax breaks, DO NOT BUY IT!

Submitted by Daniel A a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    The calipers aren't bad, I would give them a 4 out of 5. They don't flex much, if any at all.

Weaknesses:    The Levers and the pads are garbage. If you ad just the Koolmax MTB pads it makes a world of a difference.

Bottom Line:
I was really unsatisfied with the whole setup, so I upgraded the pads to the KoolMax MTB and have seen a hugh improvement. As I noticed the calipers aren't bad and they are not ugly either so I thought lets upgrade the levers to the AVID Single Digit TI.

What do you know, this setup works absolutelly great. The complete Promax setup i would give a 2/5, however as the calipers are in decent working order with my new setup i must say it strikes a 4/5 or better. So If you have this setup, don't spend the money on a complete new setup, just upgrade the levers and the pads...

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Came with the Bike

Bike Setup:   My bike came with a complete Pro Max setup.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2007

Strengths:    They aren't ugly (but they're ne lookers either)

Weaknesses:    Squeaky, Flexy, don't stop all that well
Have to pull the lever to the bars to lock up the wheels

Bottom Line:
They feel like i'm breaking with plastic. They are ok for road riding, in fact, they are good in most road situations. Just don't expect to come to a controlable stop on the trail. The only reason I had them for two years is that I didn't have any money for new brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park

Similar Products Used:   Tektros, LX Vs(decent stoppers)

Bike Setup:   Hardly Stock '06 Marin Bolinas Ridge

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    - Not bad for the first little while.
- Black color matched rest of my frame.

Weaknesses:    - Squeaked quite often.
- After a few years I noticed all the pads were cracked on the front and rear.

Bottom Line:
After upgrading from the stock Promax found on my Trek 4500, I will never go back. While the Promax were ok, the difference with the SD7's is remarkable. I bought the SD7's based on the ratings in the review section of this website.

SD7's all the way.

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD7's

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 Deore XT shifters, LX front derailleur, XT rear derailleur, Deore Brake levers, Avid SD7's front and back.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Haslingden

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    Alerts other persons to presence of bike via a shrill squeek

Weaknesses:    Many and varied, mostly adding weight to the bike as to just take the whole assembly off would probably aid braking

Bottom Line:
Ive seen these brakes in action on Michaels bike for a while now (dont have the bravery to run that kind of set up on me own steed.) and wish him luck every trip.

Favorite Trail:   Local Area

Purchased At:   All local rides

Similar Products Used:   Hope M4 Discs The daddy

Bike Setup:   Built for speed

Submitted by Michael Ely a Cross Country Rider from Oldham, England

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    Collect muck that would otherwise end up on you. And they stop the bike real fast, but only when going up hill.

Weaknesses:    These brakes aren't fit for purpose on wet and muddy trails. Don't expect them to help you make a controlled descent - get off and walk if you want to live.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these brakes, they give V brakes a bad name. I'm getting hydraulic discs fitted this week - I think a 3-year trial is fair enough. They failed the test.

Favorite Trail:   Pennine Bridleway (all bits)

Purchased At:   Chris Paulson Cycles Rochdale

Similar Products Used:   A brick attached to some string - worked better than this pile of rubbish

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Xcaliber 29er.

Submitted by Big Jim a Cross Country Rider from Ilinois

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    None, if these brakes were not on my bike when I bought it I would have never rode them. Im lucky I was not killed when I got caught in some rain.

Weaknesses:    Anything related to getting my bike stopped.

Bottom Line:
These brakes suck. Upgrade fast or you will be putting you life on the line.

Purchased At:   Bikes Plus

Similar Products Used:   Anything and everything.

Bike Setup:   GF Tassajara, Avid 10s.

Submitted by Barkdog a Cross Country Rider from Salem, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2006

Strengths:    fantastic rim-scraping, mud-cleaning action!

Weaknesses:    prevents you from mounting an actual brake on your bike.

Bottom Line:
These "rim-scrapers" work great! If you're riding through mud or grime, all you do is squeeze the levers and voila, your rims are shiny clean! I never would have thought such an original product idea would work so well. As mentioned above, they do get in the way of mounting actual brakes on your bike. But who cares? Your rims will be beautiful!

Similar Products Used:   none. an original product, these rim-scrapers.

Bike Setup:   They came stock on my Gary Fisher HKEK, which is now my singlespeed.

Submitted by Dennis V a Racer from Dallas

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2005

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    I dont know where to start with these things. They came on my GF Tassajara. From all the reviews I had read about the Tassajara I already knew these were supposed to garbage. But I wasnt prepared for just how bad they really are.
-They dont stop the bike.
-They come out of adjustment and start rubbing the rim.
-Both the front and the backpulsate like the rim is bent.
-They are very spongee
-They suck.

Bottom Line:
I didnt think brakes could be this bad. These brakes dont belong on a $600 bike. They dont belong on a $150 bike. In fact I even ended up taking the no-name-whatsoever brakes off of my wifes Wally world Schwin and notice a drastic improvement.

If the bike you are buying has these things on it, do yourself a favor and upgrade before you even walk out of the shop.

Favorite Trail:   Rowlett Creek

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Tektro rim brakes.

Bike Setup:   GF Tassajara,Stock for the moment.

Cannondlae Lefty Jake or Lefty Max for Uber V?

Has anyone put one of these on thier bikes? I'm at ordering stage right now and there are some good prices on CL and ebay. I know I have to change out the wheel, Im wondering of the Lefty max is work the roughly $100-150 price difference. I can't get into the UberV postings.. they seem too big ... Read More »

Amoeba v. Photon Max v. AyUp standard (2009 MTB kit) v. LightOn 900

Alright Folks, Please give some input. Considering a new light/s. Talk of Q5s, R2s, drivers, heatsinks, etc. is going to go way beyond me. What I'm looking for is a great light, great being defined as good light output, durable, easy to use, low maint and a good value. Looking chiefly for a h ... Read More »

Mavic Cross Max Ceramic V-Brake wheel set

looking for, mavic crossmax ceramic v-brake wheel set. OLD SCHOOL all the way. keeps the lbs down.Read More »