Marinovative Brake Brake System

4.36/5 (14 Reviews)

Marinovative Cheap Trick II

Submitted by Tyler a Racer from Chico, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2007

Strengths:    dependable, light, simple

Weaknesses:    hard to find

Bottom Line:
I bought these in 1995 used from a friend. I plenty of races, and lots of every day rides. They still work perfectly, no problems. Strong brake. Very light. Just have to keep the "brake glaze" off the pads and rims from brake wear with steel wool every 6 months, but that goes for all v-brakes/canti. The spring tension is as it was 10 yrs ago. Easy to adjust. No regrets

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   many other v-brakes

Bike Setup:   epic

Submitted by J a Cross Country Rider from AZO, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    Without question, the lightest, simplest, and most trouble-free brakes money can buy.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is the small set-screw used in the cable-stop. Marinovative chose to use a standard (not metric) set-screw, so you need to keep a 1/16" allen wrench handy to adjust it.

Any weaknesses you may read relating to the performance of these brakes can be attributed to the use of a less than ideal brake lever matchup. I first used Real levers, which did not provide enough cable pull. This resulted in an extremely mushy feel. Get levers with lots of cable pull and you're all set

Bottom Line:
If you find someone selling their Marinovatives, buy them. If you don't want them, email me so I can. : )

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano and Avid linear-pull brakes, back in the day, various cantis.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed with Kinesis aluminum rigid fork.

Submitted by Grand Pooh Bear a Weekend Warrior from Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, or lack thereof, stopping power with good modulation

Weaknesses:    cable button clamp system

Bottom Line:
I bought mine used, so I did not pay the exorbitant price once asked for them. Are they still made? Anyway, I like the modulation they offer, combined with great stopping power. The big difficulty I have is the "button" that acts as the cable clamp. The tiny little allen screw does not always hold well enough, unless I really torque it down. I have noticed cable slipping through, getting mangled in the process under heavy loads. A slightly beefier screw would probably have worked better. I was (and still am) a weight weenie with my MTB. It was the sacrifice I made to get the lightest brakes available. Is that still the case?

Favorite Trail:   Breakheart Trail, Arcadia, RI

Purchased At:   MTBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   STX and Deore DX

Bike Setup:   Trek STP with a motley collection of 90's exotic parts

Submitted by Michael Bennett from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    Still going...had em since 1996...Great breaks...still work great and they are 5 years old! Good job guys

Bottom Line:
Breat brakes...have stood the test of time.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   V brakes and cantis

Bike Setup:   Trek 9700 w/bomber and other parts...sans gears.

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from S.F. CA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent stopping power

Weaknesses:
An aluminnum cable stay
broke today.
Brake squeal(maybe it's the KOOLSTOP pads???)

Bottom Line:
we'll see if i can get it replaced under warrantee

6 months

santa cruz heckler

Submitted by Moondaddy a racer from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Three suggestions:Sell your S-company V-Brakes and leversFind a set of Cheap Trick Brakes and Avid Ultimate levers Congratulate yourself on having found the best Brake/Lever setup of the 20th Century.

Submitted by DanK a racer from California

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

Much lighter than my old shimano xt and xtr v's.
Excellent modulation at any speed (something my shimano's couldn't claim).
BUT the setup and instructions were absolutely horrible! Once figured out setup was speedy but getting to the point of knowing which went where and how is a mess; there are about 2 or 3 possible combos if you're not careful. Instructions are horrible; thank goodness you only need them once.
But the performance is outstanding! Oh, when I called Marinovative the # was disconnected, so...

Submitted by mike a weekend warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

im selling the cheap tricks i bought last summer
the brakes are in mint condition and do not make any noise like those from that 'Big S' company. im only selling these because i got sick of looking at them.
im asking $80 obo for the set. oh yea, they are red and the pads are like new.
e-mail me with any ?

Submitted by Brooks Bennett a racer from Guelph,ont,Canada

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1996

Bottom Line:

About eight months ago I bought one(1) from my friend at $50 can. which I thought was a great deal. As these brakes have shown me time and time again it was.
Today I purchased a second set for the front. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but from previous experience I can tell you:THESE BRAKES KICK ASS. Shimano V brakes
still have ALOT to learn from their forefathers. These brakes are about 1000x better than V brakes or any other imitation.
The moral of my story is this: THESE BRAKES KICK SOME BIG TIME ASS, ARE A GREAT VALUE REGARDLESS OF PRICE. BUY THEM. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!!!

Submitted by James Sheppard a racer from Rivers, MB, CA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

I heard great things about these brakes, but I had real trouble mounting them on my Grove Innovations X-frame, a design that would've been great for theses things. I bought them cheap, before V-brakes, but I also had some short-pull dia-compe levers to go with them. Ooops, they don't work worth s--t. As well, the bushing (brass) on one arm was marred when I got it, and modulation was never that great. They are now at the bottom of my tool kit. At least I have a neat water bottle...

Submitted by Hong from New York City

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1996

Bottom Line:

These brakes are the original linear pull brakes. Marinovative is known for its innovative products (hence the company name), and this brake is one reason why. Back in the days before long pull levers, these brakes provided strong braking, albeit with mushy lever feel. With the introduction of Shimano V's, more linear pull levers are being produced. This new generation of levers gives the Cheap Tricks a new lease on life. Originally selling for around $50, it also gave them a reason to raise their prices, now they go for about $80-90 in stores.
Compared to Shimano, these brakes provide much of the same face-plant inducing power. The subtle differences in construction and design are what sets it apart.
First is the box section of the arms themselves. This provides a very stiff mount for the brake pads. Secondly, the cable entry into the brake arms is very simple, using a half tube and short noodle section. It is easily reversed for left or right entry to suit all types of frames/forks and rider preferences. The half tube section also prevents mud accumulation like the Shimano rubber booties. Shims are provided to hold the pad at any angle and make toe-in and set-up a simple task. With CNC construction and no extraneous pivots and parts, this brake is THE lightweight champ with a total damage of only 135 grams per set with pads. That is lighter than regular cantilever brakes!Power is extreme, modulation is superb. Fit and finish is on par with the best small companies out there. In summation: Light, Powerful, Pretty. (if you got them when they first came out then you can add the words Bargain Price to that list too)

Submitted by Jon Severson a cross-country rider from Winona, MN

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1996

Bottom Line:

These are a true mountain biker's brakes. Light, simple, and they work. I've had Marinonvative's for almost 3 years now and wouldn't trade them for Maguras, V-Brakes, disks, or anything. Why?-No slop. V-brakes develope slop with in as little as 2 months of riding.
-No maintence. No oil to change, no shims to buy, no fancy expensive pads (I use ritchey and Mathuaser), No problems.
-Lightweight. With Mathauser pads they weigh about 100grams a pair! This is half the weight of XTR or XT v-brakes.
-Cheap. They did raise the price, but it just dramatically dropped about $10 at the wholesale level. Retail is abou the same as XTR or less.
-Cool looking. Sick of Yellow Judy's that blow their load and V-brakes, these are what you want.
-Colors. While I got simple black, silver, green, red, blue, and other colors are available.In closing, their are only a few companies that make damn fine stuff that you can trust. WTB, Syncros, Halson, Sachs, and Raceface to name a few. Marinovative ranks with those big names in durability though a small company it is. I've ridden other brakes, and these are the best I know. Yeah disks stop better, but if you need that kind of stopping power you need to learn how to control your bike better or learn there is more to this sport than racing downhill races/runs at ski resorts.

Submitted by Chris Svirklys a cross-country rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1996

Bottom Line:

No, no, not the band, the brake. They where the first before the UV whatever craze. Comes in a really cool waterbottle (yah!). A nice thing
about these brakes is that you can set them up for left or right pull (yah again!). Very easy to set up and they use standard threaded brake
pads (yah, yah!). I've have also seen these brakes used on mutant road bikes (gasp!). They work well (real well) in all sorts of conditions.
The only thing to keep in mind is that you must have a longer pull brake lever. Which of course is no longer a problem thanks to UV
whatever companies. Annnnd lastly the price is in line with anything else out there

Submitted by Karl Faruzel a racer from Greene,NY

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

Had these for a couple years. I ride with the front brake on the right. Ex motocrosser. My Cannondale had those stupid Force40 contraptio
ns. The brakes are easy to set up. Finding pads might be a problem,as they are the threaded post kind
I use Scott Matthauser. Have used three types of levers. Shimano worked fine.
Dia Compe PC11, front great,rear mushy, Avid Speed Dial 2 GREAT.
Only two bad points to these brakes. First the price has jumped DRAMATICALLY with the release of V brakes. (these are the fater of them)
Second mud will pack up on the cable at the top of the arms. T o the point of having to stop and clean it out.

High point with the Avids it's one finger stopping with good feel.

Hei from northern Norway ad Hayes Nine brake issue

Hei, I am new to this forum and completely new to owning hydraulic brakes. I have been recently recommended to become part of this forum by a local bike mechanic. I remember 8 years ago I was assisted greatly by a diesel engine forum when I had just purchased a sailboat with a dead engine. With ... Read More »

Brake of choice for sub-podiums?

I'm going to finally jump on the hydro bandwagon as im transferring my old BB7's off of the Endo with the SLX Ice Tech or the Magura MT2/4. I am having trouble nailing down exactly which I want to purchase so for those of you running Endos/Chilis, what do you run and what are your thoughts.Read More »

Can 90's XT dual brake / shifter be separated (brake only)

How do you separate them? I'm trying out a 1x8 setup in my old Marin pine mtn and would like to reuse as much as possible. ChadRead More »

Is using washers instead of a brake adapter an issue?

i just built a new wheelset with a centerlock front hub so i upraded the front rotor from a formula 160mm to a shimano ice tech 180mm. the 180mm post mount shimano adapter left probably 3-4mm of the upper pad showing and not contacting the rotor. to get the most complete and best pad to rotor cont ... Read More »

vintage Shimano Exage ES M-system, (3x7 brake/shifter schematic)

Hi, New to this forum so please bear with me. Back in 1991 I purchased a Diamond Back Response Sport mountain bike new and am looking at getting this bike back into good reliable operating condition. The shifter assemblies are both gummed up and shifting is near impossible. I took the right sid ... Read More »