Magura Hydraulic Brake Brake System

4.49/5 (105 Reviews)

Magura Raceline Hydraulic

Submitted by DD a Cross Country Rider from Lee's Summit

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    Super stopping power and great feel.

Weaknesses:    I had an issue with the master cylider in cold weather.

Bottom Line:
Yes, I had an issue with the master cylinder in the cold but the help and SUPER customer service that I recieved from the Magura tech (J.H.) was the best I have ever experienced. To me, the true test of a product is the customer service you recieve if there is an issue.

Hats off to a good company that stands behind it's products!

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   Carbon FSR

Submitted by hurky demon a Weekend Warrior from Bognor

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Strengths:    extremely powerfull, with plenty of extra pull for stoppies and mannuels, stock levers are well comfortable, come in some cool colours (mine are white)

Weaknesses:    if any it's probably the bleeding process which can be a hassle other than that there are none

Bottom Line:
these are the dogs dangelies the only things that are better than these are hydraulic discs (obviously) but they are great value for money. the only thing is that these brakes are for the more advanced better start with v brakes.

Purchased At:   came stock with bike

Similar Products Used:   magura hs11

Bike Setup:   front:magura hs33 rear:magura hs33

Submitted by reinaldo from san ysidro, ca usa

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Modulation, more brake that you could ever need, crazy light even when compared to v brakes, no maintance needed, fluid wont strech, can even be made lighter by buying aluminum rotors from Stan.

Weaknesses:    The pads wear quick, front and rear in 6 months. But the worst part was that no one had them for a month, and I do mean any kind(any brand), finally found some on ebay. Also a bit expensive, on ebay 20.00 ea set

Bottom Line:
I love them, I will never use v¨s again, Might get them for my sons race bike. If you ever needed more brakes this will do, magura martas are the ticket.

Purchased At:   LBS, came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   nothing

Bike Setup:   Stock F1000SL

Submitted by klaus a Weekend Warrior from radolfzell,baden,germany

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Strengths:    best non discbrake ever
i use tehm with coolstops on mavic 221.
never ever a problem even not under wet or snow conditions.
for dirtjump crosscountry enduro street.

Weaknesses:    how can a hs33 be weak???

Bottom Line:
in 1995 my first brake was a raceline D.
in 2002 my actual brake is a hs33 white.
in 2042 my last brake will be a magura.
any questions?
i`d like to become a MCM member,
my favourite number would be the 221.
hope for your e-mail
greetz klaus

Favorite Trail:   todtnau freeride and downhillpark black forest germany

Similar Products Used:   no way jose

Bike Setup:   c`dale m2000, fox vanilla rl, xt, core, amazing and of course magura hs33 white

Submitted by Rob Crayton a Downhiller from Stoke-on-trent

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Strengths:    top brakes with a bit of tar on the rear rim they always lock up. TOP BRAKE. ive got the double bolt on style there good

Weaknesses:    seting up

Bottom Line:
buy them now if u ride trials

Favorite Trail:   local trials

Purchased At:   merlin

Similar Products Used:   lx v-brakes

Bike Setup:   i ride a new t-mag by onza
top trials bike

Submitted by Tom, a trials rider not a a Weekend Warrior from Kent, England

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    VERY strong and last ages wiv out havin 2 re-align or bleed

Weaknesses:    hoses a few meters too long wen u get em, altho easy to shorten with no fluid anywhere

Bottom Line:
Awesome stoppers, dont see what problems people have with settin 'em up, its simple, i had my old brakes off and these on in all of twenty minuets!!!a definate for trials riders!!!worth every penny

Purchased At:   Wades Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Deore V-brakes, sum other crappy vee's

Bike Setup:   Magura HS33's (duh), fully set up for trials, rigid forks, Truvative Hussefelts wiv bashring

Submitted by Ky from Perth

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    good looking
keep their value

Weaknesses:    hassle removing the wheel
not better than other brakes i've tried, not even better than my campy road brakes
always seemed to leak
impossible to maintain yourself

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't go near these ever again, go for the avid or shimano which are far better. And leaks far too much.
Ya know what I'm sayin.

Similar Products Used:   avid 1.9

Submitted by JEFF a Downhiller from Peterborough, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Strengths:    Man these brakes are nothing but strong. I have used them for trials and before i had arch rivals which were good but kept slipping. With the magura HS33's(yellow)i have not slipped hardly at all. I love these brakes. There wicked looking too!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    well setting them up kind of sucked. Yet once you get them set up there good to go for a long period of time unless you screw your wheel and have to adjust a bit.

Bottom Line:
Get these brakes if you want something stronger then a v brake but not as expensive as disc brake. There the best rim brake around and their is no question about it......

Favorite Trail:   anything to do with trials skills

Purchased At:   bought of NSMB.COM

Similar Products Used:   i personally havnt tried many other products similar other then jumping on someone elses bike with disc brakes such as hayse

Bike Setup:   Azonic DS1 14inch frame, planet X kniven fork, magura H33 brakes, deore crank with kooka crankcase, rhyno lite wheels, 2.35 downhill tires(cheap) but im yet to pop them, and one HARD HARD seat, ive had a few mishaps with this seat.

Submitted by Radar (Joe) a Racer from Barberton, OH

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2000

Strengths:    Much better control of braking-you go faster on any terrain that requires brakes, that's simply the bottom line. The pads are also very thick so they last long. They are great for wet conditions too.

Weaknesses:    These aren't the kind of "slap it on" product. At least the first time you install these (and once you're buddies try them, they'll get them and want you to put them on). They also add some weight, not that much, but maybe too much if you ride in dry conditions all the time and really like your V brakes.

Bottom Line:
I have a couple hundred miles on my new HS-11 special editions (a little more geared for MTB than the plain HS11's, IMO) simply awesome braking in all conditions. Very little need to adjust regularly, and the brake pads wear very slow and are easy to change. As mentioned in the Weaknesses, I would probably not recommend these for someone who only rides in California in July or that kind of riding. For riders out there who don't sit around and watch tv when there's a speck of mud out there, these are your brakes. Sure they're a little heavier, but there are plenty of other places to lose weight from your bike, I've seen bikes with Maguras that (truthfully) weigh 20-21 pounds. That's lighter than alot of pro hardtails I'm sure. I really found myself with more confidence on trails when I got these-not only downhill but any place you would need to use your brakes, like a twisty rooted section. Bottom line- try them, they're cheap, you can always sell them, and (the best part) I would estimate that 99.5% of people who buy them never turn back to "regular" brakes. If for some strange reason you ever have ANY kind of problems, the Magura cult members in the Brake techtalk section of mtbr.com will be glad to hook you up.

Radar MCM #35

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Hayes discs, Coda discs, a ton of different V brakes and cantilevers.

Bike Setup:   2000 Gary Fisher Aluminum hardtail-Judy XC fork

Submitted by Martin Chapman Who rides trials and is not a a Weekend Warrior from Andover, Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Strengths:    Let me count the ways...
Modulation like a thing with lots of modulation
Maintenance...no sorry never heard of it
Squeal...only a bit when bedding in the new pads
pads go straight onto rim so no toe, no balance problems...
you can control if you stop or not
They work
They're good

Weaknesses:    Nasty setup so some say, but pester your bike shop when U buy them and they'll fit them or a low cost.
Now you're in control of when you go over the handlebars so there's no excuses
Slightly less powerful than V's with no mods (tar etc.)
You don't have to maintain them so you might have to GET A LIFE INSTEAD
IF you have maggies and your friends have cables you'll never be able to ride their bike again...their brakes won't seem to work.

Bottom Line:
Well maggie's rock. If U don't believe everyone here go to the magura cult (biketrials.com then go to links). The levers lock when the pads hit the rim rather than cable stretching thant happens with everything else. Just go to a trial sometime and ask to try someone's bike...you'll never go back. Get metal levers, I've heard that the plastic blades hurt a lot.
Look, just buy a pair, ok? they're about £20 more expensive than good V's, and they're better. buy them. simple. please? even roadies should buy them (the roadie versions anyway)

Favorite Trail:   Trails? I don't ride trails? Trails are for local people!