Magura Classic HS-22 Brake System

4.46/5 (79 Reviews)

Magura Classic HS-22

Submitted by Brett a Weekend Warrior from Shanghai, China

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Strengths:    Powerful braking, reliability

Bottom Line:
I built my first Giant NRS with Magura HS-22 brakes in 1998. I rode the bike hard for 5 years and it is still used regularly by friends coming to visit. In all that time, never a single braking problem. 100% hassle free. I put full XTR on my new bike and have had to replace the disk pads repeatedly as well as replace the disk itself. The Magura set up is both cheaper and much more reliable. Highly recommended V brake.

Favorite Trail:   Pyranees - Aix les Thermes

Similar Products Used:   XTR disk brakes

Bike Setup:   Custom Giant NRS frame, XT components

Submitted by james a Downhiller from castro valley CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    looks

Weaknesses:    weight, ease of installation, engineering

Bottom Line:
These PARTICULAR pair of brakes do not get kudo from me for a number of reasons. The major reason is installation. I bought the brakes because I have never heard anything but good news about them. I think I got a dud pair because I never got them to work. This set is magura blue. I'll start with the levers. They look pretty cool but they vould definitely be lighter. The hydraulic mechanism of the lever could be attached to a machined billet aluminum mouniting portion, but instead, it is one whole peice of cast metal. the lever arms are hideous! they are huge and heavy and uncomfortable. The brake lines are a pain to set up! they obviously cannot be attached to the normal mounting weldments but the way they are routed is riduculous. The worst part about the brakes is installation. There are cast painted parts that have to be pressed into place and never moved again. You must be perfect first time in this case. No room for error. After that the calipers are squeezed into place. The idea of hydraulic brakes is brilliant. The way this is engineered is not. Much work needed. They still get some praise because mine are an exception because they are disfunctional. Expensive, but not a bad price considering that they are frickin hydraulic brakes.

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT,LX Avid single digit Ti

Bike Setup:   Kona Pahoehoe,GT Zaskar LE

Submitted by GRAEME BLAIR a Downhiller from ABERDEEN

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    POWER, MODULATION, LEVER FEEL, ROLLING STOPPIES.. DID I MENTION POWER.

Weaknesses:    ARE YOU KIDDING.

Bottom Line:
STUNNING BRAKES. TWO PEOPLE HAVE DISAPEARED OVER MY BARS SINCE I FITTED THEM AND ANOTHER HAD A BALLS TO STEM MOMENT(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AARON). POWER IS AMAZING BUT THEY ARE HARD TO SET UP INITIALLY. SOD DISKS GET MAGGIES.

Favorite Trail:   ANY STAIRCASE

Purchased At:   OF A MATE

Similar Products Used:   V'S, CANTI'S, AD990, ACS BOA,MECHANICAL DISKS, YOU NAME IT I BROKE IT.

Bike Setup:   BARRACUDA FRAME, ZOKES ELITE 130MM, MAGURA HS22, TRANZ-X STEM, D.C.D, DIAMONDBACK PLATFORM PEDDLES, DEAD BACK DNM SHOCK, WORK IN PROGRESS...

Submitted by david a Cross Country Rider from corvallis, oregon, usa

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    They are great modulation, nothing compares to their power, nearly maintainance free

Weaknesses:    adjustment is tough, and the housings are difficult to replace. They are a little weighty, but if you need to stop that is not an issue.

Bottom Line:
Magura rim brakes are the best. They are a little tough to deal with if anything breaks, but I have used them 3 years without anything breaking. Now they make lighter more adjustable models. I would choose Maguras over v-brakes any day.

Purchased At:   bicycle doctors

Bike Setup:   cannondale caad 3 with mavic usb rims.

Submitted by Jameson a Weekend Warrior from Seattle Washington

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Strengths:    Durable
Awesome Modulation
They'll never let you down
Once they're set up you can forget about them
Pad life (at least for the green(frog) and the black pads, tha's all I've used)

Weaknesses:    In my six years of riding on these (HS-22 raceline D) the only complaint I have is that I cut the front line too short for my new Z1

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for the best possible rim brakes that you can get anywhere, well, you're done looking. The Magura hs-22 racelines are by far the best braking system on the market as far as rim brakes go. I mean yeah, a 8" hayes setup is going to stop better, but those are intended for FR and DH rigs, not heavyduty crosscountry bikes. The slight weight penalty of these over v's is more than made up for in durability, stopping power, no more worries about wire cables, and the ability to set 'em up and forget about them.
If you're scared about messing with the hydraulics don't worry about it. Magura includes great instructions and offers great customer service to make it a piece of cake to install the brakes.
One warning though, these brakes will flex the S$%t outta your frame and fork (even my Z1) so get the brake boosters. Why wouldn't you want to anyway? The raceline yellow just looks so cool!
Oh, and as a added bonus, you don't have to reset your brakes when you change pads like you do on v's. All you do is give the pads a little tug and out they come. Then snap in the new set and you're good to go.
This is one component on my bike that I can say I've definately set up and just forgotten about them, they're just that good.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt on it

Purchased At:   ?? I can't remember, they've been on my bike for 6 years

Similar Products Used:   Hayes 8" discs, shimano v's, and good ol' cantis

Bike Setup:   zaskar, Z1, HS-22 raceline d, lx xt xtr drivetrain, sun rhyno lites f/r, Ringle sun of bubba front hub, king rear hub + headset, kore aheadlite, SDG grand prix, shimano 747's

Submitted by bob a Weekend Warrior from Shawnee, KS

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2001

Strengths:    maintenence is easy; it just has a nice feel, control is easy

Weaknesses:    I stripped the magnesium clamp bolt (maybe I tightened too much?)

Bottom Line:
I only have one on my front wheel, and it is just an easy brake to own even though it looks complicated. It is easy to set up and maintain, and very dependable.

Similar Products Used:   XT Vee

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 870, Mammoth rim

Submitted by brandt wysocki a Cross Country Rider from thousand oaks

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Strengths:    strongest rim brake period, once set up, a well thought up, well engineered brake kicks some ass!

Weaknesses:    levers too big, go to cambria bike and get altek levers they have a thumb adjuster, for fine tuning. those levers are much more "V" lever like... cannot be used without the magura booster or you will break off the brake boss and your seatstays wont twist other than that..the prouduct kicks ass!!!!

Bottom Line:
dial it in use the boosters front and rear get the altek levers, and you will not need dick breaks $$$$$ dick is rich

Favorite Trail:   overlook

Purchased At:   wheel world

Bike Setup:   gt xcr 1500 sid ft and rr xt white ind wheelset

Submitted by Pee-Wee Herman a Weekend Warrior from GF, NoDak, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Big levers, adjustable reach, sensible QR, modulation, power, price, quality, customer service, zero-maintainance

Weaknesses:    Weight, big levers (which look too "moto"), magnesium bolts strip too easily, spacers/washers, don't work well with frame braze ons, no weaknesses performance-wise

Bottom Line:
I bought these as NOS on MTBR marketplace for a few reasons last year:
a) price
b) pucker power for learning trials stuff
c) I plan on gettting hydro discs sometime soon and wanted to get used to using and maintaining an hydraulic brake first.

So much for the maintainace part! I slapped 'em on and other than adjustments for different wheels, etc., have done zero as far as bleeding, etc. The Evolution adapters make setting up the perfect angle a breeze. There is no such thing as pas squeal, and the stock pads have lasted a long time (although I;m going to try some red ones next). They work well in all temperatures, no noticeable change in modulation in the cold. I can set them up for a ton of rim clearance, and the pads reach the rims with way less lever reach left than you can get away with using cable brakes, which I like. The adjustable lever reach is great for making both levers feel the same.

I think the value, performance, and feel of the brakes more than make up for the weight. I have been using them on my single speed, but when I get my first FS bike, they will go on it until I can afford hydro discs (probably Hayes).

I stripped one of the stock magnesium bolts, and contacted Magura directly - they sent me a whole bagfull of new bolts & washers of all types within days - free of charge!
Speaking of bolts & washers, the only major beef I have with the design is the washer/spacers needed on the brake studs between the Evolution adapters and the frame. On the QR side, this washer can fall off too easily when installing or removing the wheel. I found out the hard way. ON the flipside of this complaint, you can stack these washers to get the silver "knuckles" to clear seatstays or brake arches (as I have to do with my Manitou fork).

Bottom bottom line? Great product - get 'em!

Favorite Trail:   Paul Bunyan SF, MN

Purchased At:   NOS online marketplace

Similar Products Used:   XT & XTR Vs

Bike Setup:   Maggies, Rhyno lite rims, Surly hubs, other "stupid" SS items

Submitted by Scott Lougheed a Weekend Warrior from Victoria b.c. canada

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2000

Strengths:    Powerfull if you move the lever to the middle of your bars more. Long lasting pads. Stiff and rounded levers.

Weaknesses:    You are F***ED up if you think so.

Bottom Line:
Great breacks, almost as powerful as disks, and low mantenace. (Don't trust your friends). If you don't mind wieght, the almost anyone should buy these. Bleeding is easy, and can do it easily alone, without a shop. The bleed kits are cheap.

Similar Products Used:   HS-33

Bike Setup:   '98 Kona U'hu with a '99 z1 drop off, and alps 5r in the back. Gozzaloddi jr, and panaracer pyro on the back

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Davis,CA. USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Strengths:    Strong... No leaks... Amazing power... Comfortable feel, and most of all no one has them.

Weaknesses:    A little hefty if you are a gram counter but definitely worth it to me

Bottom Line:
These breaks can stop you on a dime.. and they are great for trials. When you squeeze on the lever the power keeps going and going... absolutely no worries when descending and the better your brakes the faster you go without any worries.

Purchased At:   mtbr

Similar Products Used:   xt, and some cheapies... lx

Bike Setup:   97" Specialized S works (gold edition) xt shifters, white industries cranks xtr drivetrain and xt hubs laced to mustang rims... and sweet Marzocchi Atom Bomb.. 23 pounds easy

Submitted by Adam Levy a Cross Country Rider from Evanston, IL USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    I've had my maguras now for about a year and they are going great. I just stuck some new levers on them, the ones for HS33s and they work great on mine, they are awesome. I pretty much ride trials around the city so maguras are what i need, they are great for cross country too though. I would buy them in a second.

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all, except the kind of big levers they come with, but that can be fixed.

Bottom Line:
THey are great, buy them. They don't fall apart, stop you always, and you can't go wrong, especially if you order them mail order, i got em for like 100 bucks, you can't beat that.

Favorite Trail:   Pelos Hills Chicago

Similar Products Used:   Plain vee-breaks

Bike Setup:   Dale - m500, titec hellbent riser bar, thomson seat post, LX crankset, LX rear deraileur, stx-rc front, RS Judy XC/Rigid Fork for trials, Maguras, LX hubs sun rims, its a dope ride

Submitted by Coonass a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Strengths:    Durable, ease(lack) of maintainance, they stop with two finger finesse

Weaknesses:    Heavy, by comparison, but you've got to be able to go slow to go fast.

Bottom Line:
They came stock on my '96 Kona Explosif, what an awsome deal! I've been with them ever since, haven't ever jumped on the V wagon. Excellent power, modulation, ease of maintainance, RED pads here in the Texas dust are awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Just one?

Similar Products Used:   Old school cantis. Grafton Onza Shimano

Bike Setup:   Kona 853 Hot, RST XMO, /race face, syncros, XTR

Submitted by Simon a Racer from Rimouski, Quebec

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    Increadible breaking
Great modulation
Maintenance free
Easy to change brake pads
Works great even in mud

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Pricy (at least they were when I bought them!)
Plastic brake lever flexes.

Bottom Line:
I've been using my HS-22 for about 5 years now. They are by far the best I've ever tried (except for disks!). And I haven't had to service them a single time since the purchase!!!!!! The brake pads are soooo easy to change on the fly. I'm a heavy rider (200 lbs), and I need stopping power. Magura delivers! The only thing that brakes better are disks. But I still think they're useless on cross country bikes! The HS-22 is a bit heavy (almost twice v-brakes), but their performance compensates for this flaw. The only thing I didn't like was the plastic brake lever that was too flexy. I replaced it with the metal version and voila! Problem solved! These brakes are the best. And anyone who says that V-brakes work just as well, surely hasn't tried these! If you need braking power, get a pair. You won't regret it! I can't wait to get my new Magura HS-33's that I ordered for my new Mountain bike! Their lighter and probably work even better, if that's possible.

Favorite Trail:   1991 World championships course, Bromont, Quebec