Dia-Compe 987 Brake Brake System

DiaCompe 987

Submitted by FishMan a Cross Country Rider from Champaign, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    powerful and now cheep

Weaknesses:    canti's are more difficult to set up then v-brakes

Bottom Line:
I bought these brakes because they were only $12 for both front and rear sets at this little bike shop that was going out of business in Parump NV. Got some Real canti brake levers to work with them and it's a great combo. I have anodized rims on this bike that I haven't managed to wear in yet and still these brakes have incredible power. I had to spend some time to set them up just right, but it was worth it, these babies are stronger then the XTR V-brakes on my race bike! I’d highly recommend these brakes if you can find them laying around in the parts bin at your LBS, you can probably get them for cheep.

Favorite Trail:   anything in Sedona AZ

Purchased At:   12

Similar Products Used:   shimano canti and v-brakes

Bike Setup:   Barracuda A2V set up as a rigid single speed with funky retro purple and green ano parts

Submitted by Bez a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to set up, powerful, last forever

Weaknesses:    Decent pads are becoming hard to find

Bottom Line:
Um, I seem to disagree with everyone. These are the easiest brakes to set up I've ever used, with the exception of Avid discs. Tightening the bolt doesn't twist the pad like it does with V-brakes. I used these for 6 years before going to Vs, and I've dug them out of retirement for my singlespeed. I love 'em. Set up properly (straddle cable as low as possible) they're easily as powerful as Vs, and the lack of noodles means they're silky smooth and more mud resistant. Spring tension is a doddle to set as long as you have a 13mm cone spanner.

Similar Products Used:   Various models of - Shimano cantis, Shimano Vs, Shimano U-brakes, Avid discs, Avid Vs

Bike Setup:   Kona Kilauea, now converted to singlespeed

Submitted by JK a cross-country rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

PROS: Light and strong due to cold forged construction. Relatively inexpensive. Good stopping power IF set up correctly.CONS: Absolutely the most frustrating brakes to set up that I've ever worked on, and I worked in a bicycle shop for 5 years! Save up your $$ and buy a set of Avid cantis.

Submitted by Zaphod a cross-country rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1996

Bottom Line:

Used these for a while on a Logic WCS frame/fork. Powerful, decent feel, but I had Mavic ceramic rims... The squeal was unbelievable; tried different pads, booster plates, etc. Fitted XTR cantis and the problem stopped. Instantly.
On a stiffer frame they were okay, but the pads are a bit of a pain to position. There are better alternatives, but these do work.

Submitted by Steven Brandt a cross-country rider from Marlboro, MA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1996

Bottom Line:

I have been using these brakes for one year including racing. I agree that they are a pain to adjust. Plus, on my particular bike, the reversed pad holder doesn't allow the brake to open wide enough to get my tire out. I have to yank REAL hard to remove or install the wheel. Anyhow, I'm scraping these brakes for the '97 season. There are better brakes out there. I just hope the guy I sell them to doesn't read this review.

Submitted by Eric Nord a cross-country rider from State College PA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1996

Bottom Line:

After my trustworthy 986 brakeset had got so loose in the pivots that they squealed all the time, I replaced them with 987s. These are nice, light brakes with cold forged arms, and good stopping power. Dia Compe gets kudos from me for this brake design because: 1)Spring tension is independantly adjustable in both arms, so they are easy to center and can be set up with a high or low spring tension, depending on your preference. 2)These brakes still use the old fashion, very trustworthy straddle cable and cable carrier, as opposed to shimano's goofy alternative that keeps one brake pad in the way of wheel removal. That said, getting the pads adjusted ain't easy. It helps to thouroughly clean these brakes before woking on them.

Submitted by Chris Lowe a racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1996

Bottom Line:

Similar to the 986 but a bit more low profile. Simple, cheap, dependable. Not a fancy, adjust each part independantly for ease of use deisgn. You actually need to know how to work on your bike to set these up. They work just fine.

Submitted by Matt Pound a cross-country rider from Portsmouth,UK

Date Reviewed: July 4, 1996

Bottom Line:

I used these brakes for about 8 months. I found them really hard to adjust and
to cure the squealing. I tried several different makes of pads from Eagleclaws
to Fibrax. The front brake also used to judder and vibrate a lot and especially
on downs. In the end I junked the 987 and bought Shimano XTs instead. It has to
be said the stopping power of the 987 was the same as the XTs but the adjustment
is so much easier and the brake judder and vibration has gone.

Submitted by Don Seib a racer from Melrose, MA 02176

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1996

Bottom Line:

I used the 987's for a couple of years with SS-7 levers. The setup was a pain
in the ass to install and maintain pad alignment. In addition, the system never
felt hooked up (very mushy), this was true on two bikes on which they lived.
The levers developed a lot of play in the time that I had them, but some
people like that feel. To modulate the spring tension equally on both sides
takes a great deal of patience and time. You can become quite good at it after
your 4th set of pads and many hours of frustration.

Submitted by Mike Karnes a racer from Powell, TN

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1996

Bottom Line:

These brakes are relatively light, and have good stopping power, but they
are really hard to adjust. I've never been more frustrated than when I try to
align and adjust these monsters. I would choose to be poked in the eye with a
sharp stick than to work on these brakes myself.

2014 XTR M-987 Brake. Looks promising.

[url=http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/19/shimano-puts-xtr-on-a-diet-intros-new-brakes-29er-carbon-tubulars-more/]Shimano Puts XTR on a Diet, Intros New Brakes, 29er Carbon Tubulars, More[/url] [url=http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/shimano-xtr-groupset-2014-first-look-37070/]Shimano XTR G ... Read More »