Dia-Compe 747 V-brakes Brake System

2.46/5 (37 Reviews)

Dia-Compe 747 V-brakes

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Denver CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    er,er,

Weaknesses:    Pain in the arse to set up,sticky when dirty or when it gets cold,as it sometimes does in Colorado.

Bottom Line:
I thought it was just me but after reading all the other reviews I realise I'm not a mechanical incompetant.These came supplied w/the bike and I've always had trouble with them.I was just here researching new brakes and thought I'd read reviews of the old ones.Glad I did,I feel much better now!I wouldn't buy these.They are fiddly and unnecessarily complicated.

Similar Products Used:   All kinds over the years.

Bike Setup:   Specialised Rockhopper Comp FS 98 w/various upgrades.

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, IA, United States

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2000

Strengths:    A small improvement over cantilevers.

Weaknesses:    Everything! Difficult to adjust, mushy, poor spring design, flexy, and so on.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't piss on these brakes if they were on fire (usually saved for enemies, but hey, if the shoe fits...). I bought these brakes as a set-front, rear, levers, and thought I was getting a decent deal. Boy was I ever WRONG! These brakes are so bad that I dug out my OLD SKOOL Dia Compe X-1s, that stop like a demon compared to these abominations of aluminum casting. I will never buy a Dia Compe product again. I can't give less than one flamin'chili, so that's the lowest I can go.

Favorite Trail:   as long as it's dirt

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Dia Compe cantilevers (X-1), Shimano cantilevers (XT,LX, Alivio)

Bike Setup:   ProFlex 856

Submitted by Odette a Cross-Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Everything

Bottom Line:
Absolute rubbish. All I want is a light weight brake that stops. The first time I used them they stopped the bike, but their stopping power went down to zero in no time. They need to be set up before, during and after a ride, and still have no stopping power. I originally bought them based on the good reviwes, but I see that those who thought they were any good have changed their minds. I would love to give no stars!

6 months

Alivio,

Kona, aluminium frame, XT/ LX components

Submitted by barbie a Downhiller from cansas

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
everything !!!

Weaknesses:
nothing

Bottom Line:
it s the best

more than 3 years

shimano xt

trek 800

Submitted by Morgan Hanson a Cross-Country Rider from Tolworth, UK

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Strengths:
None - literally, they bend like their plastic

Weaknesses:
Everything

Bottom Line:
Bought the 'hopper for my girlfrind who's new to MTB's. Pretty good spec for the price only let down by these brakes which are frankly a joke. You can't center them with out one side dragging immediately afterwards, the pads are impossible to adjust and they flex like crazy. In combination with the equally crapy DP7 levers youd be better off riding into a tree than trying to stop using these. I complained to the shop we bought the bike from and they in turn complained to SBC WHO HAVE AGREED TO UPGRADE THE BRAKES at minimal cost (£5) to Avid 10. If these brakes came on a new bike COMPLAIN and ask for an upgrade, SBC are definetly aware of this problem

Shere

less than 1 month

Shimano LX
Avid 10,25,50

SBC Rockhopper

Submitted by pete jansen a weekend warrior from rthcke

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

the best there are i think this one of teh eikhf lbflke ejflbhfelk jfjjfkj,ed hshsb jjj jjj kdjdjdld ldkdldlld fdjfofojf kdkjdk dlksfkf dldhlkfh lafsj
fnjjfj hjfjfj jfjfjfjf jfjfjjfjf fjjfjfjfjfjjfjf fsa;fasj fsafsj;asfjfsj;lfasjf ;lfsajjfs;lf ;f j s;lflfjlslfsl;asfj

Submitted by Studly Do Rite a cross-country rider from London, Uk

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I found these little horrors on my bike SBC Rockhopper, worked OK better than Canti's although very quickly started to deteriorate. Managed to find a fool I mean friend who wanted V'S sold them for £15 and the bought some XT V's which despite what anyone says I believe are superb.
Avoid Dia-Compe brakes full Stop (well not quite if you use them no Pun intended)
Cheers Studly!

Submitted by Byron Ames a cross-country rider from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was thinking about getting a pair of these for my wife's bike. She has some old Scott Self-Energizing brakes (mush) that desperately need a change. I'm glad I found this site first. I will definitely forego the deal I found and save my cash for another brand. Interesting that the reviews were generally good at first, but now contain the word, SUCK more than anything else.

Submitted by nate a cross-country rider from MN

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

These brakes suck...don't buy them, pay extra for LX's. they suck, they suck, they suck...unless you have half an hour to adjust them before every ride and in the middle of your ride. don't get them...less than one chili. f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

Submitted by Big B a cross-country rider from The SFC

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I initially got these because I'm a poor student and I was looking for a good deal. In this case, you get what you pay for. I could tell a positive difference at first but it went downhill from there. These brakes fade out, don't look to great and are a (censored) to set up. I put on Ritchey pads hoping to solve the dilemna, but to no avail. I rode my friends bikes with XT-V's and they're a million times better! I'm taking these to the recyling center, I'm fixing on getting 10 cents for them.

Submitted by Owen a cross-country rider from Amherst, Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

i used to have these brakes. they really suck though. i have to say that i liked my alivo canti's more! what is this spring tension adjuster? the spring tension is shot after 3 weeks and the PLASTIC box which holds the spring is falling apart!!! i advise you spend the extra $$ for LX which kick theses butt!!! thanks to cambria bike i got all my $ back and spent it and some more on some LXs!!!

Submitted by Xavery M a cross-country rider from PL

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got them with my Marin Palisades Trail '97 and NOW I won't buy anything signed by DiaCompe. This brakes are a totall crap :
- all direction moving brake pads(no matter how tight you will adjust them)
- plastic parts
- adjusting is even worse than my last cantis
There is only one thing nice - they have quite nice stopping powerfor the first 500 km on them.I have to replace them or I'll end my biking carrier somewhere on the tree.

Submitted by Johnno a weekend warrior from Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hmmm. . . . Interesting, these. Hard to set up because the pads seem to slip around the arms. Horribly flexible. But, more powerful than cantis and cheap with it. For being cheap and fairly powerful I give them 3 stars, but when you have the money do what I did and replace them with Diacompe's XT-copy 757; you will not regret it. Rigid, easy to set up and POWERFUL. Make that 2 stars by comparison.

Submitted by Paul a cross-country rider from Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Yep, it's all true. My girlfriends bike has these on, and they're shortly to go in the bin. They take forever to set up, then only stay adjusted for about 10 minutes before one side totally stays on the rim. They stop OK I suppose, but they're a bit spongy, but that could be the matching crap levers.

Submitted by Dewey a cross-country rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Do you like brakes that need set up after every ride? If so buy these brakes... I wish I knew about this page before I decided to get these brakes. Everything that everyone is complaining about is exactly what I hate about mine. Set up takes forever, and needs to be done constantly. Simply tightening the bolt that holds the brake pad can change a perfect toe in.. to a toe out. These brakes suck! They are great unless you want to stop. If anyone is interested in buying these from me, I will give you a good deal. $30 for the set... I just got a new set of Koolstops too.