BombShell Proshift Super Vice Brakes Brake System

4.45/5 (66 Reviews)
Weight : 172 grams MSRP : $49.00

• CNC'd from 6061 aluminum.
  • Laser etched logo.
  • Colors: silver, red, blue, black, ti.
  • SUPER VICE BRAKE SET W/CABLES - Retail $99.00
  • SUPER VICE BRAKE SET W/VC2 LEVERS & CABLES - Retail $159.00

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mr. Wood a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Strengths:    Look cool, work great

Weaknesses:    Cable fixing bolt hole strips

Bottom Line:
    I have to agree with the negative reviews below about the anchor bolt hole stripping out. However, I have had these brakes for several years and they never gave me any problems. I don't expect stuff to last forever, but I didn't really change or adjust my brake pads very often, so I guess, it could have happened a lot sooner if I did.
    Overall, I can't say they are bad brakes. I will probably try to get a longer bolt and nut so I can keep using them.

Favorite Trail:   Not telling you!

Purchased At:   AZ bike experts

Similar Products Used:   Avid

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz superlight, Psylo, precision billit levers

Submitted by Andreas Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    low weight

Weaknesses:    weak spring, wobbly

Bottom Line:
    I don't like these. The springs are to weak even when the cables are brand new. It is certainly unfair to compare them with Magura rim brakes, but also the good ol' XTR 98 v-brake is a lot better. So there is really no reason to cough up so much money for a mediocre performance.

Purchased At:   hibike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR (98), Magura 10th, Quick Silver

Bike Setup:   TREK 9900 OCLV, Marzocchi Atom Race, Shimano XTR (98)...

Submitted by Johnny a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    light, responsive, looks

Weaknesses:    no gripes here

Bottom Line:
    I have never had a problem with these brakes! I just bought a new fork for my bike so I had to take them off and put them back on... I think the screw that everyone is stripping has potential to strip, just like any other screw. You have to make sure it's threaded properly and keep in mind that it's not your seatpost screw. So all you Hercules's out there, lighten up on the wrench. As far as brake functionality... If you adjust it properly for your riding style there is no reason why you won't love this brake. I also never had to do any filing either.

I believe that anyone who has a problem with these brakes (besides the filing), might have made a slight mistake or didn't adjust them correclty. I've had MORE confidence with these brakes than the XTR's.

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   I use these with Avid Flak Jacket cables... perfect setup!

Submitted by Donat a Cross Country Rider from france

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Strengths:    light, simple

Weaknesses:    steel spring rubbing on aluminium lever !

Bottom Line:
    Circle the aluminium part of the brake (where spring rubs) with 2 turn of teflon tape (the cheap one used in plumbing!)
    I was very confused when I started with these brakes: impossible to center... I realized issue is high friction of the spring on the brake, and when I added teflon ribbon it changed all.
    Topclass... except this incredible stu..d idea to have a steel spring rubbing with an aluminium lever.
    BUY and improve !

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Purchased At:   local dealer

Bike Setup:   PB levers, PB brakes, kool stop yello pads, Mavic Xmax, black snake cables ... life if good!

Submitted by Allen Lo a Weekend Warrior from Ga

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight.they;re good when the threads don't strip~!

Weaknesses:    The THREADS ON THE TIGHTENING BOLD WHERE THE CABLE GETS TIGHTENED DOWN ALWAYS STRIPS~!!!!!!!! ALWAYS~! you cannot prevent this crap~! I always thought it was just me but when I came back and read some recent reviews it just made me feel a little better beacuse it seems Bombshell (aka Precision Billet) products have just gone down the drain~!!!!! I even tried e-mailing the customer service 3 times , and they never even responded once~! I think they know what's going on. Mine have stripped twice, once I got them sent back to Bombshell, the second time, they never even responded. It's just too much of a hassle. Stick to AVID or SHIMANO.

Bottom Line:
    Don't get these, it's not worth the risk~! Trust me. Avid has always stood out to me as a very dependable and stable brake; Avid's are also priced well. I'm about to try XTR for the first time...hope they don't squeal~!

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD7, SD Mag, Shimano XT

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    They stop great! No problems there.

Weaknesses:    I was putting on a new front brake wire one day, and when I went to tighten it down, the threads on the brake arm completely stripped out. Well, I thought over tightened, until last week, when I had to adjust the rear because of a new wheel set I bought. The same happened to the rear. GIVE ME A BRAKE HERE!!! This should not happen. I had to put a longer bolt through the brake arm, and attach a nut on the back side of the arm. It will do for now, but a new set of xtr is on its way to me.

Bottom Line:
    The brake work fine if you dont have to adjust them. if you do, they stip out.

Similar Products Used:   xt, xtr, lx

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed, king/mavic wheels, kooka, ringle, sid sl, xtr.

Submitted by Paul from Watertown,NY

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to setup, lightweight, looks nice (love the matching levers), very good stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Product support really sucks. Verrrry cheap threads. They strip if you stare harshly at them. Then you need a snap plier to replace.

Bottom Line:
    My threads stripped before my first ride. I was angry and expected PB to send another one quick. Wrong. I had to send them the stripped ones for evaluation (I think it was a $7 dollar part). OK, I'm riding. Brakes really work well. Last week I went to readjust for a tighter feel. Threads strip again with verrrry little effort. I bought a spare arm but will not bother with it. BTW, I just stick a spare screw in to put tension on the arm and it works, well, better than OEM. I keep a couple of screws in my pocket just in case.

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Cantilever, LX Vs, Avid CPS Disc

Bike Setup:   '97 Jamis Team Dakar, XT, XTR.

Submitted by Harris a Weekend Warrior from Charlottesville, VA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    Let's see... They have decent stopping power and are light.

Weaknesses:    They have decent stopping power and are light (I have never been absolutely confident with these brakes: the reduction in weight, and therefore structural integrity, makes for some flex and a subsequent reduction in power).

Bottom Line:
    The previous reviewer and must be mechanically deficient: I have never had a bit of trouble with modulation on either of my bikes and they both were outfitted with avid cable sets. My springs were adiquate for proper modulation with Paul Love Levers durring two yars of riding.
    The real bottom line on these brakes is elusive. For most CC use, my afore-mentioned review is suitable (Harris, 12/99), however, my riding style has changed: these brakes do not offer appropriate amounts of power for extended periods of downhilling. Any prospective buyer has to analyze their riding style: would you sacrafice power for weight savings?
    The only real problem I ever had with the brakes was a situation where I was drunk and over tightened the cable clamp bolt, stripping the cheap aluminum threads in the break arm. After that unfortunate incident, I bought a pair of Avids (I dont remember which model) and they have surpassed the Pricisions in every aspect except weight.

There is no conspiracy; these are good brakes for CC types concerned with weight and going slow down hills. I am about to slap a set of Hayes (a viable CC choice in my opinion) on my Ventana "free ride" ( I hate this term) bike. Good bye v-brakes, F U.

To the idiots who dont know how to set up v-brakes properly, and especially the dumbass who reviewed just prior to this one, your valium is ready.

Similar Products Used:   All of them.

Bike Setup:   I have used these brakes twodifferent CC bikes.

Submitted by Mike Cramer a Cross Country Rider from GR, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    They look cool, front brakes work well. Incredible customer service, they really want to help you.

Weaknesses:    Lack of return springs in levers.

Bottom Line:
    *** WARNING **** Don't believe the hype on these brakes!

I bought them based on all the good reviews here. When I first put them on I was amazed at how well they worked. I now think this was more because my old brakes were so bad but that's another story. They work fine for a while but after you get any kind of dirt, mud or whatever in your cables they will not work properly. And yes, I sprung for the Avid Flak Jacket cables which BTW are terrible. The cables were my first attempt to solve the problem with these brakes. They work OK until you ride in real world conditions and even with the best cables you will find increased cable drag after a while. I set the springs to the highest tension (second attempt to make these brakes work) and that solved the problem... for a while... but then it's back to the same old problem. I just put some Avid Speed Dial levers on for my third attempt at making these brakes work. The levers work well and I have new cables (again) but the brakes still don't work right. Specifically they won't make up their mind when you try to adjust them. Aside from doing this myself I've had two bike mechanics look at them, neither could make them work right. Basically you should be able to get the brake calipers to center and then pull equally from both sides. If they pull too much from one side you adjust the tension on the springs to get it to center. The problem is that these brakes will sometimes work, then other times pull from one side, then the next time pull from the other side! This makes it impossible to adjust them properly because they are inconsistant. The result is that the pad doesn't move away from the rim on whatever side sticks enough to clear the rim so if you have even a tiny hop in your wheel it will rub.

I think the good reveiws here came from either A) people that put them on, saw how great they worked and then wrote the review having never tested them on the trail for a few months. B) people who never ride their bikes on trails. C) People that have found a way to ride their mountain bike without getting mud/dirt/sand/corrosion in their cables. D) People that work for Precision Billet.

If you read the review below from Vaughn, that is exactly the experience I've had. Reading that review was like deja vu for me.

I must say though that Precision Billet support has been great. They asked that I send in the brakes for them to evaluate and determine whether they are defective. The problem is that I'm not about to part with my only set of brakes for more than one day or two. They sent me new springs which, in conjunction with my new Avid levers and cables will hopefully make them work OK. I'll post another review in a couple of months after I've had a chance to put a few hundred miles on the new setup.

Anyone looking to buy a set of these levers cheap, drop me an e-mail. Don't say I didn't warn you though!

Purchased At:   Cambria