Avid Single Digit Ti Brake System

Weight : 162 grams

Titanium

Submitted by Pablo Pizarro a Weekend Warrior from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    Light, great stopping Power. Even in heavy rain conditions; no matter if it's dry or mud, they will stop you. Better if you are ridding a hrad tail, rather than a FS bike.

Weaknesses:    Original pads are not good enough, and they are hard to find and expensive. try kool stop, dual compound if it's possible, and you will see how hard they will stop you.

Bottom Line:
This is my second review on same product. I bought a new lightweight frame, to replace a very old proflex reptile. I kept few components from my old bike, among them there were these Avid V's. I change Rim Ranglers pads and bought Kool Stop dual Compound. Before this I was thinking to buy Disc brakes, now I don't even think about it. Excellent stopping power, even in heavy rain conditions; no matter if there mud or sand, theyt will stop you. But be sure you discard rim rangler pads, and change them by kool stop ones, dual compound if it's possible. my brother in law ride a Trek Fuel EX9 with hydraulic XT brakes, and stopping power is almost the same, in spite I'm 6" foot tall and almost 180 pounds, and he is 5"6 and 150 pounds.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, LX, Deore and STX-RC V's. And a sort of cantilevers such as Dia Compe, Shimano and many others. Don't like discs.

Bike Setup:   Hard tail, Manitou Mars Elite, Avid Ti, Race Face, etc, etc

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2006

Strengths:    Great stopping ability, easy install, easy adjustment, no noise from pads, etc..

Weaknesses:    Durability & serviceability

Bottom Line:
I was very happy with these V-brakes when new, however like the XT V-brakes I had before these they became almost completely unusable after a year.

The main pivots/bushings for the brake arms simply become contaminated and corroded, eventually causing the arms to require more and more force, at which point the return springs cannot open the brakes anymore.

I specifically bought these hoping they would be better due to the Ti and other materials which should resist corrostion, but they failed in about a year. There was no way to disasemble the pivots for a clean + regrease, which is not acceptable IMO in any of these high end V-brakes. Any mud/water/sand/salt which contaminates the brakes is going to eventually kill them. This is especially problematic on the rear brake, the front brake is somewhat more shielded by the fork.

This is not an Avid failing per se but it is very annoying. In the end I decided to go with cheap V-brakes until I get get discs, if I have to replace them I might as well go cheap and replace them more often to keep a higher average level of performance.

Favorite Trail:   Not sure

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Many different V-brake setups

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2006

Strengths:    light, strong, easy to setup, light lever effort, dead sexy

Weaknesses:    embareses my friends xtr Vs, adapting to ridiculous brake power wears out my mind.

Bottom Line:
when avid says single digit they mean it. the bike stops, as in now. took a little getting used to before I would trust them but you really can one finger it in even the really nasty stuff. These arent disc brakes and shouldnt be considered as replacments for high end discs but for v brakes these are really amazing, I certainly wont worry about stopping power on fast decents anymore. The simplicity of the whole system is really great coming from the slightly overcomplicated shimano v brake system. For a non disk rider like myself (I'm not spending that much on a 7 year old bike) these are pretty much tops.

Purchased At:   cambriabikes.com

Similar Products Used:   lx, xt, xtr v brakes, and various discs

Bike Setup:   old gt idrive

Submitted by racerchick a Racer from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Strengths:    Can't seem to find one

Weaknesses:    They simply do not stop. The rear brake is like no brake at all.

Bottom Line:
Before I go into full review...I have to admit I have Avid FR 1 brake levers so maybe that is the true problem. I haven't been able to engage my rear brake cleanly except the first rides after new brake pads. That's it. I weigh in at 105 lbs so I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem to have some responsiveness. I hate relying on my front end to stop. I'm changing the brake levers and if that doesn't make things right I'm going to disc, Magura Marta SL....I want to enjoy my downhills going fast...not doing damage control trying to control my speed.

Purchased At:   Hazzards

Bike Setup:   Titus Ti RacerX, Manitou Skareb super, XT shifters, crank, Chris King headset, Salsa stem, Easton seatpost, DT swiss wheels, hubs Maxxis ranchero tires.

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from castro valley CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    looks weight hardware

Weaknesses:    flexibility strength

Bottom Line:
I really do not like these brakes. I love the way they look. I love the Titanium hardware. I love the weight. I hate the performance. I have these brakes set up perfectly and I am still very unhappy with them. The titanium hardware is the best plus in my book with these brakes which goes hand in hand with the weight. Even properly torqued, the pin that fits into the brake boss snapped off the brake on my rear brakes so that one arm will not return because the spring is not ineffective. Pretty upsetting for a product that gets so much praise. In my opinion, this product is not well engineered and I am dissapointed with the performance.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   shimano XT/LX magura blue

Bike Setup:   Kona Pahoehoe,GT Zaskar LE

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, FL USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    Great looks, very light, excellent modulation and stopping power

Bottom Line:
This brakeset is the new AVID SL which replaces the older AVID Ti. There was not a catagory for it so I placed it in this section. This setup replaces a three year old AVID Ti brakeset I was using. I ordered this one from Price Point as I liked the look of the brake levers better (call that a whim). When I installed them, I was very suprised at how much better they work than the older AVID Ti's. This setup works as well as my AVID Ultimates I have on another bike. If you are considering the Ultimates and can afford them, buy them for their great looks and performance. They are worth the money. If you want a setup that works just about as well for less money consider the AVID SL's.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Older AVID Ti, and AVID Ultimate

Bike Setup:   Moots hardtail, SID Race fork, SRAM XO drivetrain, FSA carbon cranks

Submitted by $mokeyJoe a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    Light,strong,adjustability

Weaknesses:    Original pads squeel!So change them for some koolstop ones and go for it!

Bottom Line:
These brakes stop me whenever i want!Just change the pads like said above.This in combination with ceramic rims,you'll have a pretty lightweight brake setup that stops you in most of the situations(i'm a racer,not DH!)I tuned them with some Ti and Alu bolts/parts,so lighter with the same stopping power will be difficult to get.
Buy them for a cost effective/lightweight brake!

Purchased At:   H&S Bike-Discount

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD5,Shimano xt

Bike Setup:   HT with light-weight parts

Submitted by Geoffrey Seaborn a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    Has the speed dial system, looks great, very light, doesn't squeak unless really cold (going really fast), amazing value - a solid buy.

Weaknesses:    None so far. I thought that the price was quite reasonable.

Bottom Line:
Stops me faster than I could ever want, and is way lighter than a disc brake. With high end rim brakes, there is really no need for discs to weigh down your bike. These are very easy to install, adjust, and maintain.

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau Loop

Purchased At:   www.pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Speed dial/Single digit 3's, dia-compe etc.

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Rockhopper pro - EC70 riser XC bar, thomson post, easton stem, avid ti's, specialized comp gel saddle, shimano clipless, avid rollamajig, chris king...

Submitted by Graham a Weekend Warrior from Madison, OH, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    Extremly light, Awesome copper color, Strong spring tension, easy to adjust, comes with Excellent pads. It's Avid what can you expect.

Weaknesses:    Some of the bolts might stripe on you so go easy on them. After about a year of use, my rear brakes pin in the pin/bushing assembly broke on the left side and then broke on the right a week later, but Avid sent me free replacement parts inside two weeks so I'm still very happy with them.

Bottom Line:
These brakes rule the only V's I'd want more are the Avid ultimates. For $35.00 a piece you can't get anything better I am very happy with these and you would be to, so if your looking to upgrade your V's or just want something plain better and lighter get these. Avid Rules

Favorite Trail:   Mine

Purchased At:   Cambriabike

Similar Products Used:   XTR, Avid SD7, Avid arch rival, Bunch of junkies, and Avid and hayes disc.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Avid Ti V-brake, Manitou Black Elite 80-100, Access Hardtail, Chris King Headset, LX Crank and shifter brake pods, XT Front derailer, LX hubs laced to Sun UFO rims IRC mythos XC tires, Rock shox Seat post, Italia seat, Answer Hyperlite EA70 Bar, FSA XC120 stem,

Submitted by rob valentine a Cross Country Rider from london uk

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    light weight, non-shimano, no l.inkages to complicate matters and shorten lifespan of the bakes due to wear, solid feel modulation, not too grabby

Weaknesses:    pads are poor compared to aztec pads, but these came on stumpy pro '03 so can't complain

Bottom Line:
do pretty much everything you could ask for shame about the pads, as they can squeal in wet (but don't all brakes do) shimano gets you going the best, but as demonstrated by their xtr discs, they don't stop you very well...... (i work in bike shop and several people have replaced their xtr discs with hope, or hayes discs.

Favorite Trail:   forest of dean

Purchased At:   evans

Similar Products Used:   shimano dx, lx, diacompe brake esque silver bits......

Bike Setup:   03' stumpy pro new xtr shifter brake things, like em enough to keep them, although if i break them i will buy avid levers and xtr shifters only

Submitted by Pablo Pizarro a Cross Country Rider from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Light, very light. High stopping power, reliable. Even combined with SRAM levers this brakes stop on any condition and even with heavy mud. excerp when it´s rainning

Weaknesses:    Not working on heavy rain conditions; hard to fing brake shoes, for replacement

Bottom Line:
This are good and light brakes, good alternative for Shimano products; which are unaffordable

Favorite Trail:   la Ciria

Purchased At:   Wind Center

Similar Products Used:   Shimano STX-RC

Bike Setup:   Proflex Reptile, with Manitou Marnum-R fork

Submitted by Max a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Superior stopping power to anything else I've tried, really light, don't warp, good looks

Weaknesses:    Nothing at all

Bottom Line:
These brakes are sweeeeet. Awsome stopping power, look great, go especially well with Speed dial mag/ti levers. These brakes have never failed me, even in slop. $35 each at cambria bicycle outfitters (http://www.cambriabike.com) in the hot deals section.

Favorite Trail:   Robert E. Lee