Avid Single Digit SL Brake Brake System

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Avid Single Digit SL Linear Pull Brakes featureTitanium hardware and includes noodle and Overcoat. Titanium hardware All brakes include noodle and Overcoat All brakes have oversized linear spring with screw-type spring adjuster Force Vector Alignment reduces brake boss playTo improve performace, efficency, and control

Submitted by Dave Q a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, Az

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2007

Strengths:    Ti hardware makes 'em light. I like the tension bars, 'cause they're eaiser to get ahold of. The adjusting screw is a hex screw which just seems to make sense. The angle of the cable screw makes tightening easy.

Bottom Line:
BEST deal on V-brakes for the money...I'm a shimano lover, but these are better

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   swap meet

Similar Products Used:   just about every other v brake made

Bike Setup:   single speed bike

Submitted by Victor a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Ti hardware, very nice springs (compared to stock Tektros, SL 7s, Deores and LX's.

Weaknesses:    Its a v-brake.. what can I say..?

Bottom Line:
If you have to stick to v-brakes (poor, or weight weenie) stick with these. I think the ultimates are a little better, but they are about 35g more. Honestly a good set-up will beat just throwing a lot of cash. These stop like a dream with excellent modulation and I actually use 'em quite often on descents on trails. The only time I use the rear is when its wet or I'm descending with a lot of roots. Avid makes the better v-brakes compared to Tektro and Shimano. Oh, another point: they are almost completely silent and work surprisingly well when wet while the LX's are horrible. Sounds like I am sanding my rim away when I brake when wet. If I could go back I would get the SLs ni the back and maybe mechanical disks up front and shave the extra weight with a light bar, no bar ends, and lighter wheels since I list 25 lbs and don't need such heavy duty wheels.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   SL 7s, Deore, LX, and stock Tektros.

Bike Setup:   Trek 3900 with Sram X9, Thomson, Ritchey WCS, Bontrager. Avid SL front and Deore LX back.