Avid Single Digit 7 Brake System

4.81/5 (147 Reviews)
Weight : 186 grams MSRP : $38.49

Avid Single Digit 7 Rim Brake is Avid's classic go-to v-brake. Ultralight and ultra-precise modulation is at your fingertips with the Single Digit 7 cantilever rim brake, a modern touch on a brake that can be found on the world's most premier bicycles. In

Submitted by Eric J

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    They work just as well as the more expensive brakes of this type. Hardware will not corrode, efficient braking system if using rim brakes.

Weaknesses:    V-Brakes / Direct Pull brakes always are a pain to setup correctly. Patience is key.

Bottom Line:
I have been running these brakes for years with no problems. I have had to replace the pads once in 5 years and they were still not too bad. I replaced the pads only to freshen things up. V Brakes/direct pull brakes are always a pain to set up when it comes to the pads, Patience is key and will pay off. The brakes still work like a champ and the only time I can hear anything, be it squeal or otherwise is when it is humid outside. They do work great in wet and muddy conditions. These brakes are as good as some of the more expensive brakes out there.

Submitted by Smurflex a Cross Country Rider from Romania

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Strengths:    Great stopping power, easy to set up. Even easier to realign.
They don't squeak, even in the wet. But they sure to stop

Weaknesses:    Hm... they don't come stock on bikes.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are the cheapest way to get near disc performance in the dry, i love the way they feel in your fingers, you can stop with a single finger on each brake, coming down the hill at 40-50kph. I've used mine with jagwire ripcord tefloned f/r and teflon housing. The sd7 levers feel almost as close to hydros in terms of ease of pull. I'll be upgrading to kool stop replacement pads this week, can't imagine they'll be better. Kudos to sram.

Favorite Trail:   StanadeVale

Similar Products Used:   None that comes close. Only cheap v's and juicy3, promax hydros.

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek 4300 2011

Submitted by Makao a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    xs

Weaknesses:    xs

Bottom Line:
sss

Similar Products Used:   xs

Bike Setup:   xs

Submitted by da bubba a Weekend Warrior from Valpo

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Terrific braking

Weaknesses:    Front unit squeals

Bottom Line:
You can't truly appreciate these brakes until you try them off road. I was not used to so much modulation--I liked brakes that were grabby. The modulation on these makes me use them more for cornering. They are strong, however. I hit some roots that sent me skidding of the trail. The former bmxer in me grabbed just the back brake. This was enough to stop me.I was talking to a frame builder about putting a disk mount on my '95 frame. These save me a lot of weight and money.Oh, I listened to everyone else here and put Kool Stop Mtb pads on the brakes. These have a more "grippy" feel than other pads, this is probably what makes them so good.

Favorite Trail:   Westville

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   Steel hard tail

Submitted by cbratina a Cross Country Rider from Litchfield, CT

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good, cheap

Weaknesses:    Installed on a tandem with travel agents, the rear brake lever could bottom out and the front took too much effort. No bite, scarey unsafe compared to my antique Peterson self actuating cantilevers. The bearing surface is too loose also. Would not use on a tandem or a rear mountain bike brake.

Bottom Line:
Switched to Kool Stop Mountain salmon brake pads and the brakes worked!! Very difficult to bottom out and the brakes now had great bite with little effort.

Changed to Avid Single Ultimate and the brakes improved even more. Less brake lever travel.

Would consider Dura Ace vs. Avid Ultimate for tandem

Favorite Trail:   Mt Washington, MA

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore XT and XTR
Peterson self actuating cantilevers.
Avid Single Digit Ultimate

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Ti tandem, FSA, White Industries, Deep Vs, DA front, XTR rear, Ultegra levers, Shimano cable thrust housing, SS cables

Submitted by Butcher67 a Racer from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent power and feel. Quality product with attention to detail. Well engineered.

Weaknesses:    Not much bling value - I guess that's what the SL's and the Ultimates are for.

Bottom Line:
These perform at a high level and without fuss. They are easy to set up and they seem to work best with the Rim Wranger pads with my set up. Excellent stopping power - true to the name it's a one finger deal. Avid has got these dialed in - put them on and go.

At the price point these are at they are the true value in the line up. They are good enough for the life-style hard core rider at a very affordable price.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR, Avid Ultimate.

Bike Setup:   Using with Avid speed dial levers, Mavic 819 rims.

Submitted by gw2252 a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    Work flawlessly with almost no effort involved

Bottom Line:
A great pair of brakes well worth money best v-brakes i've every owned

Favorite Trail:   Peaks Trail

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   avid arch rival

Bike Setup:   specialized m2 metal matrix frame w/ xt components and mavic rims

Submitted by mandr007 a Weekend Warrior from Chardon, OH

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    Pads, low weight, mechanically sound in every feature

Bottom Line:
This gleaming review is probably old hat since the product has a 4.86/5 rating as of this writing, but I need to say that these brakes are amazing. As a degreed mechanical engineer, I can appreciate every single feature, from the chamfer at the bottom of the locating pin to the oversized springs that reduce the aging of the component. I'm not sure if Avid is a publicly traded company (probably not), but if it is, it would be a good stock to pick up!

Favorite Trail:   Towpath Trail

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   promax v brake

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek 4300

Submitted by buridan a Cross Country Rider from Planet Earth

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great stopping power, great modulation, durability, looks and most of all design.

Bottom Line:
I'll add my positive critique to the chorus. I've been using the SD 7s for sever years now and trying to figure out why the SD 7s are head and shoulders above the rest. My conclusion is its simple and straight forward design. They work extremely well and are very affordable.

I've had a pair of Avid Ultimates sitting on my shelf for quite some time because I really can't justify swapping them out. I know I wouldn't be disappointed with the Ultimates, but I'm so happy with my SD 7s that I don't see the need to switch.

I've looked hard for the review that claims Avid Ultimates are worth the switch from Avid SD 7s. I haven't found it yet. I think this is one of those cases where a company designed and built a "lower end" product too well - from a marketing standpoint. In other words, Avid rim brakes have become their own competition.

Favorite Trail:   Dry

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Tektro, older Avid SD 7s, Shimano Deore et al.

Bike Setup:   Custom

Submitted by El Baelos a Cross Country Rider from Ghent, Belgium

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2009

Strengths:    Great stopping power in combination with Tectonic KoolStop pads and Shimano XTR brake cables.
Very easy to adjust.
Lots of control in braking power.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses noticed.

Bottom Line:
These are among the best V-brakes one can buy, and they are much cheaper than e.g. Magura's.
Great stopping power, even during the toughest rides here in the Belgian Ardennes they've never put me in trouble.

Purchased At:   www.bike-discount.de

Similar Products Used:   Avid SD3's who came with my bike.
These brakes sucked big time in comparison with the SD7's.

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale-frame model 2008 with Shimano XT drivetrain, Mavic Crosstrail wheels and Rockshox Reba World Cup fork.

Submitted by Hanzz a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    Reliable, smooth, powerfull and sensitive. With the right brakeshoes they perform allmost as well in wet as in dry conditions.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are great. Have these brakes used for over two years and over 20.000 km. I had to adjust them once after the intial set-up.
Trash the original brakeshoes immediately and change them for the Union BS-321 (3-color pads). I tried Kool-Stop shoes, but the Union were better.
At this moment this combination outperforms the Magura HS33.
If you want a simple, reliable brakesystem go for the Avids.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Magura's, Tektro, Campagnolo

Bike Setup:   Trek 7300, with Deore LX, Avid brake levers and shimano XTR cables.

Submitted by jefwilli a Weekend Warrior from Garner, NC

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2008

Strengths:    Serious stopping power.

Weaknesses:    None I've found.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are great. Stop on a dime power for only a few dimes.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Kalloy Uno Seat Post
Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Submitted by taputah1 a Cross Country Rider from Lehi, UT

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, lots of power, easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
These brakes are pretty sweet. When I opened the package, they didn't much different from my stock tektros, but when I installed them (I didn't replace the cables or my stock levers) they are 10 times better. I can only imagine the difference some new cables and levers would make. Great upgrade. I was thinking going to disc, but the cost was prohibitive and I never liked the disc "feel". Now I think I'll stick with v's for awhile. Oh, I spent the 90 on a complete set.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Niagra

Similar Products Used:   xt v-brakes, tektro v-brakes, lx v-brakes.

Submitted by Miller Time a Weekend Warrior from Breckenridge CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    Simple design
Durable so far

Weaknesses:    RW2 / Rim Wrangler 2 Pads are horrible

Bottom Line:
These brakes are solid. No better or worse than my XT brakes. Slight play in the joint where the arm meets the frame. The Rim Wrangler 2 pads are worthless. They were louder than my shimano setup. I put some kool stop red pads on and it is quiet now. In terms of the brake assembly, not an upgrade or downgrade over the XT standard brakes(not the paralell linkage ones.) Don't buy these expecting better performance, just add better pads. Pads were pretty easy to setup properly and to change to good ones.