Avid Single Digit 5 Brake System

4.07/5 (30 Reviews)
Weight : 191 grams MSRP : $25.99

The reliable, proven Single Digit 5 is a great economical linear pull brakeThat wont breakThe bank. It features Avids FVA (Force Vector Alignment)To ensureThe mostefficient, powerful braking possible.The included Overcoat boot seals yourcables from dirt and grit. KeepThe change in your pocket! includes "noodle" claimed 210 grams Works with "linear pull" (AKA V-brake) levers from Avid,Shimano, etc.

Submitted by George F a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2013

Strengths:    VERY powerfull, light, easily adjustable.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Bought these to replace my Avid Arch Rival 50's. Much more simple to adjust and just as powerful. I think these are actualy more responsive that the Rival's with less matinance.

Favorite Trail:   Sunview

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Phat Moose

Similar Products Used:   Avid Arch Rival 50's .. R.I.P after 8 wonderful years of use tention bold was striped.

Bike Setup:   Eclipse - Sheriff HT1, Schwalbe Ultremo DD, Mavic Aksium Race 13'.

Submitted by rocksynthetic a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2013

Strengths:    powerful, cheap

Weaknesses:    adjustment mechanism is sorta fragile

Bottom Line:
You may need to adjust these brakes relatively often, which is fine. However, spring tension is modulated by a bare screw driving into a narrow flat surface on the side of a metal disc that pushes against the spring. On one of my sets, after a couple of weeks, the adjustment surface was so marred by this screw that the screw could only partially contact the surface at an angle, which in turn warped the plate holding the screw in place. It's just kinda janky, and the weakest point of this design. Perhaps capping the end of screw in plasti-dip or something might help?

Submitted by Joe DePalma a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    Great stopping power on my rear wheel (I run Avid BB& in the front). Easy to install and adjust. Spring tension is powerful.

Bottom Line:
If you are trying to upgrade and are cost conscious, these are a fantastic pair of brakes. Pair then with a pair of Kool Stop pads and you'll be able to stop on a dime. I saw no discernible difference in braking power between the SD5 and SD7 to warrant spending nearly 3x as much for the 7's.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Tektro V brakes that came on bike, Avid SD7

Bike Setup:   Trek 3700 - nothing stock

Submitted by TrekFanatic a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Strengths:    Great stoping strength at any speeds and conditions! Not at all touchy at low speeds but has great performance stopping you at high speeds. It truly makes my Trek feel like new again.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet, although it was a little bit of a fuss putting the wire protecter on while installing it.

Bottom Line:
Buy this product if you're looking for replacement v-brake pads, you won't regreat it!

Purchased At:   Alterego Sports

Similar Products Used:   Stock TekTro v-brake system that came with bike.

Bike Setup:   07' Trek 3700 w/ Avid's

Submitted by joeinchi a Weekend Warrior from Highland Park, IL

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Well-made, great performance, good looks

Bottom Line:
Great product and the deal from JensonUSA made this a no brainer. Installation took 20 minutes and was a direct swap for my old cantilevers. I had replaced my old shifter/lever combo with some "long pull" levers (Shimano ST-EF50) to ensure proper operation and the setup works perfectly!

The best thing about V brakes is that they're very easy to adjust. No more fiddly brake pad positioning--they're flush with the rim. Period.

The long pulls are also very easy to modulate and provide tremendous force with only moderate effort. Clamp down on them, though, and lock up is not a problem.

Do it! It's an easy, worthwhile upgrade for any bike with old-style canti's.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Stock cantilevers

Bike Setup:   1994 Marin Bear Valley with Continental ContiSport slicks (80 psi) and rigid chromoly fork. Fitness rides.

Submitted by da bubba a Weekend Warrior from Valpo

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2010

Strengths:    Powerful

Weaknesses:    Touchy adjustment

Bottom Line:
I paired these up with the FR 5 levers and got the ultimate low cost BMX brake. No more of those crappy stock Tektros. I have SD 7's on my MTB, so I knew Avid was a good brand. I was not dissappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Westville

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Tektro

Bike Setup:   '01 DK Fury

Submitted by viper a Weekend Warrior from vancouver,bc,canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2010

Strengths:    brakes well, limited noise

Weaknesses:    none at this time

Bottom Line:
great brakes for the price

Favorite Trail:   road trail

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   tektro m530

Bike Setup:   2009 kona dew

Submitted by Spawne32 a Weekend Warrior from Blackwood, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    forged aluminum, extremely light, awesome stopping power

Weaknesses:    none i can think of

Bottom Line:
Bought these to replace broken brakes on my bike, these things blow the stock brakes away. The only thing keeping me from coming to a stop now is the fact that when you jam the lever down, the wheels lock up and you wind up sliding on the tire lol best money ive ever spent.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   avid fr-5 levers

Bike Setup:   2008 Olpran Patriot 18"

Submitted by fisher_rider05 a Cross Country Rider from Welaka, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2008

Strengths:    powerful brakiing

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
These brakes are strong and smooth. Adding the rim wrangle pads puts these on par with the sd 7s. These were a major upgrade from the tektro brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Similar Products Used:   tektro

Bike Setup:   gary fisher hardtail w/ sram drivetrain and downhill components

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from JC, MO

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Strengths:    does the job, if just barely

Weaknesses:    wears down on your rims... just like all v-brakes.

Bottom Line:
I have to admit these brakes worked well in the learning phase of my riding, but now that I'm into intermediate and very hard trails, I am starting to ride alot more aggressively and these can barely slow me down to corner on quick switchbacks. Overall a good brake, it just seems like sooner or later, as an aggressive rider, you are just gonna have to make the leap to disc brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   shimano, other avids

Bike Setup:   SS rigid Surly KM, bontrager cockpit, race-lite rims, avid SD 5

Submitted by Zeke a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    Outstanding value, great stopping power, easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    Didn't come with Kool Stop pads, easily corrected.

Bottom Line:
These perform great for the price I paid, $50 for front and rear brakes and Speed Dial 5 levers. It's one of the best upgrades I've made for my old bike. Stopping power was incredible when I first put them on and they only got better when I replaced the pads with Kool Stop V type replacements. The bike stops on a dime even in wet conditions.

I highly recommend these for anyone looking for a cheap and highly effective upgrade for their bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Dia Compe crap that came stock with bike.

Bike Setup:   '99 Specialized Rockhopper.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Plainwell Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to install. Easy to set up. Easy to tune out any squeal (eliminate any pad toe in so the leading and trailing edge hit at the same time, or even let the leading edge touch first) With koolstops, they stop as well as discs with better modulation. Great price compared to discs.

Weaknesses:    Not as trendy cool as discs. Scratchy noisy when wet, but still stop plenty well. Hard to find a modern frame to upgrade to that will take rim brakes.

Bottom Line:
Great for the person who isn't doing major downhill bomb runs or think the discs are a necessity, or just wants a simple brake system that gets the job done.

Discs were a nightmare for me. A noisy mess in the rear triangle. After trying a second brand of brake plus various pads, plus cleaning like crazy, plus replacement discs, plus insane bedding in tricks, plus hand modifying pads - all to no avail, I threw in the towel.

I am thrilled with these brakes. They stop great. They modulate well. And they are quiet. I did replace with koolstop mountain brake pads - a great combination.

Now, if only I can continue to avoid discs for the rest of my riding existence :)

Favorite Trail:   Ft Custer Red Loop

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Disc, Avid Juicy 5 - both a noisy mess with no ability to adjust the noise away.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel

Submitted by George from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Ok power would suggest disc brakes if you have the money

Weaknesses:    Not nearly as powerful as disc brakes, rusts, locks up

Bottom Line:
My LBS set up the V-brakes perfectly, but that was the only time they were good, and that was about a week. Then the brakes started to lock up and my sons cheap disc were way better than these.

Bottem Line: If you have the cash go for disc they are perfect for mud and anything really.

Bike Setup:   06 Stumpy

Submitted by ramilcp a Weekend Warrior from Whittier

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    Good stopping power, easy set-up, adjustable, lighter than discs.

Weaknesses:    Weak modulation, not as light to operate or as powerful as discs. Not as strong in the wet.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a set with Avid SD 5 levers. They are great for the beginner/intermediate cyclist: good stopping power, light weight, easy setup, and lots of adjustability. But as I got better and faster, I was reaching the limits of what these brakes could handle. And it takes a lot to stop a big guy like me.

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Tektro Vs, Promax Vs, Shimano Vs.

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive, Iron Horse hardtail, Fuji hardtail.

Submitted by A Jones a Racer from L'ville

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Strengths:    They're Avid

Weaknesses:    Springs are too weak, not enough strength to snap back after braking.

Bottom Line:
I love Avid Single Digits. I've even owned another set of Digit 5s (silver color, 2 years prior) that were awesome, but these seem to be much less than a superior product. I'm still going to buy a pair of 7s and give them a shot.

Favorite Trail:   Duffield, Waverly, Otter Creek