Avid Single Digit 20 Brake System

Submitted by Lloyd Opolentisima a Weekend Warrior from Cebu, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2005

Strengths:    > Light
> Powerful
> Cost less than any other model and brand

Work as any other V-brakes... Love the Avid logo...

Weaknesses:    None...

Bottom Line:
Had chosen this V's above the others due to its price. Performance wise, it is the same as any other descent V-brakes out there. This rig of mine is a commuter... for home and office route only.

Don't be mislead by its price... these V-brakes are quite powerful (if set-up properly) and can even throw you on top of the handle bars.

For the trails... had another rig (it's a Mosso) w/ Avid BB5 disc brakes.

Way to go AVID!

Purchased At:   Espero

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Vs

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Killer V 900, Rigid Pepperoni fork, all Shimano XTR (8 speed) groupo except the V -brakes, Avid 1d 20 V's, Control Tech Stem and handle bar, Mavic 217 Sup wheel, Maxxis Oriflamme (26x2) tires, Ritchey seat post, Active saddle

Submitted by loco a Cross Country Rider from SPAIN

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    Very lightweight, simple
good power, for xc
excellent cartridge pads, easy to replace and nice compound

Weaknesses:    got play at the pivots
somehow flexy,but that´s pad position related
noisy if not lubed regulary

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for something lite and powerful and don´t have the cash for xtr these are a good option.
Pads don´t move parallel to the rim so are triky to adjust but they are cartridge so easily replaceable without further adjustments.
When pad is adjusted to the lower side of the arm there is some flex due to a longer arm exposed, so set them back up and improved the feel.
They developed good play at the pivots, they are bushings so no fix possible. Now replaced for a xtr set with bearings.
Good brakes, they did their job without complain.
(If I had never tryed XTR I would give them 4 chillis)

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   dia compe, lx, xtr

Bike Setup:   hartail mix: avid sd levers, steel frame,mars cl fork, 517 rims

Submitted by Tommi Bass a Cross Country Rider from U.K

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Strengths:    They stop you well, had them since 98.

Bottom Line:
I've had these puppys since 98, i have upgraded since to xt. They got bust in a bad crash, i had to build a new bike, as you can imagine building a new bike costs bucks...so i digged these puppys out of the spares box. F@*k they work very well indeed, they still look mega. I bust a spring thing on the back 'V', I sent Avid a email and they sent me a replacement set of parts for free, S@#t I live in the U.K! Avid RULE, WELL DONE U.S.A! I'll take off my slipper and beat my xt 'V' Wid it! ;-)

Favorite Trail:   ya sisters house!

Purchased At:   had since 1998

Similar Products Used:   xt, they are s@*t and they bust up. Sic amount of other stuff.

Bike Setup:   Merlin 7005 xc, with a bell and a basket for E.T.

Submitted by Jerry Dalley II a Weekend Warrior from Royal Oak, Mi

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    They look cool. Thats about the only good thing.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely no power after my first 20 rides. I have to pull the levers extreemly hard in order to stop fast.

Bottom Line:
I'm looking for another set of brakes. As soon as I can justify spending $100.00 or more on a descent set of brakes, I'm gonna do it.

Favorite Trail:   I like them all

Similar Products Used:   Shimano deore LX, and Sram 9.0

Bike Setup:   Schwinn homegrown with full lx/xt setup Easton EA-70 bars, Thomson Elite stem, Easton EA-50 seat post. Mavic x222 rims laceed to shimano Paralax Design LX hubs, LX crankset, XT shifters and derailers.

Submitted by G. a Cross Country Rider from Denton

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    They perform well year after year. Aside from adjusting them when changing rims, I don't ever have to fiddle with my brakes--I haven't even worn through the first set of brake pads in years of consistent riding. I took the front set off to do some work on my fork and that teeny-tiny post fell off of the bushing and became lost. The Customer service folks sent me a free replacement bushing lickedy-split no questions asked.

Weaknesses:    IF you do need to adjust the brake pads, it's a little bit of a pain to get them set right.

Bottom Line:
Good brakes, good customer service.

Purchased At:   Don't Remember

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alivio cantilevers

Bike Setup:   '96 Bontrager

Submitted by Aaron from Nova Scotia

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    Very touchy for about two weeks of hard riding

Weaknesses:    SUCKX HARDCORE in the rain, you maightas well have no brakes at all in the rain... you'll have to replace some part of the thing withen about 3 months! I don't treat my stuff like crap either, my bike is my pride and joy.

Bottom Line:
Price is good, half decient brake, but if you have the bucks, theres no question you want to upgrade... These brakes have medium stopping power no matter what pads you try! These brakes just arn't woth the time of day!

Favorite Trail:   The Gourge

Similar Products Used:   ...

Bike Setup:   Sasquatch, axiom, z-5 air 100mm, rhyno lites, clipless, trans x, YETI - ROCKS

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from st louis

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Strengths:    very reliable. easy to adjust and maintain, simple design, very strong for their simplicity.

Weaknesses:    they are starting to develop some play and wobble on the brake posts, and like any other rim brake, they don't work as well as they could in the wet. but missouri isn't the wettest place, so no big deal. also, toe in can be a real pain in the ass, but maybe i am facing the pad the wrong way...

Bottom Line:
these brakes came on my bike, which i bought in february of 1999. they have worked extremely well the entire time! age has not set in yet. i've put these brakes through so much schit that i am amazed when i think about it. hell, they even work great for trials when i feel like doin that. it may not be as effortless of a stop as say disc brakes or maybe some arch rivals, but if you really want to stop, you will stop. or lock up your wheels, but that is your problem, the brakes did their job. if you keep them maintained and adjusted properly, they will provide you with hella good service for a long time, especially on a budget.

Purchased At:   Touring Cyclist; came on bike

Similar Products Used:   arch rivals with speed dial levers (they work better, but i won't buy 'em till these current avids, the 2.0s, break horribly.)

Bike Setup:   99 trek 7000 with lots of stuff

Submitted by Clint a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, cheap, good modulation, looks.

Weaknesses:    Sqealier than hell. Need tons of adjustment.

Bottom Line:
Pretty good deal for what you get. There are better brakes, but for the price, they do the job better than LX.

Favorite Trail:   all of em

Purchased At:   Doug's

Similar Products Used:   LX, cheap Tektros

Bike Setup:   Kona Blast with Race Face, XT, RhynoLites

Submitted by Robert Trask a Cross Country Rider from Chesterfield, MO

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    Didnt melt in the sunlight, thats about it.

Weaknesses:    This is a follow up, see below. Brakes to not perform after a few months. Very flexy. No power. Gets very sloppy at the pivots. Generaly inferior.

Bottom Line:
Follow up...i have continued to make attemps to contact Avid, but they will not answer my emails. Terrible customer service. After i told them about the problems, they sent me two new brake pads, which did not help at all. I am not an idiot, i replaced the pads with several different types before i called and emailed them. They are not backing their product, which is a piece of $#@^. If you buy a new bike, make them upgrade to a shimano product. I put a set of XT brakes (1998 model)on my bike and they worked flawlessly. Still, Avid says its not a Avid brake problem. Bike shop cleaned and sanded the rims, made adjustments, then put a 150lb on the bike to test it. He could not stop. It is a joke. I have four stitches in my chin right now because i could not stop on a downhill. I took Avid at their word and waited for them to take care of their problem. I guess it is my problem now, and i will be putting Shimano brakes on my bike. I just ordered another bike, and will not take it out of the shop with Avid brakes because of this. I suggest you do the same. Without customer support we have nothing. Support your local bike shops when you can, and buy from those who take care of you, regardless where they are.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb

Purchased At:   Mesa Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Hayes Disk, XTR, XT v-brakes

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra, Avid brakes came stock.

Submitted by Robert Trask a Cross Country Rider from Chesterfield, MO

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    Did not melt

Weaknesses:    VERY weak braking and slop after a few months

Bottom Line:
I have had problems with these brakes since I purchased the bike. For some reason, there is alot of slop and the braking power is very weak...I cannot skid the rear tire on wet grass. The only thing that helps is to spray the rims with a citrus based degreaser which makes it sticky, but that rubs off after a few miles. I put my brothers XT brakes and levers on my bike and they worked great.

Heres the deal: Every product has problems, what really counts is the customer support. I have emailed Avid about the problem, and after a few days a tech called me and sent out one pair of new pads to try. They did not help anything, still alot of flex and no braking power. At least he tried. I just emailed him back to see what they will do, i even offered to pay for an upgrade.

If they take care of it, i will be an AVID fan for life, if not I will not be bying AVID products again. Service is everything...so i will keep you posted as to the results.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood

Purchased At:   Mesa Cycles

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra Comp

Submitted by Christian M a Cross Country Rider from Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    fantastic stopping power, modulation, weight, looks

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
simply amazing

Favorite Trail:   Tyrolean MTB trails

Purchased At:   came stock w/ my C'dale

Similar Products Used:   Shimano V-brake, Dia-Compe VC-767

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F-1000

Submitted by alex a Racer from mtn home ark usa

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Strengths:    UPDATE

Weaknesses:    UPDATE

Bottom Line:
Mr. Paul Kantor from Avid called me personaly to apologize for the situation and offered to upgrade to one of their most quality brakes front and rear. I was floored and I want people to know that my opinion of Avid has done a 180 and Im now a Avid customer! Go Avid! BTW the original products was SD 50 i couldnt find a list for 50 so i listed here.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Purchased At:   came w/ bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, XT

Bike Setup:   Fuel 98, Trek 9.9 Pro

Submitted by alex a Racer from mountain home ark

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    POOR CRAFTMENSHIP AND CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM AVID

Bottom Line:
Worked good when it stayed together. I noticed after about 6hrs of riding that the rear arm had no tension. After inspection i found that the pin that fit into the upper chainstay brake post had become loose and wallowed out the middle hole on my bike's brake post. I contacted Avid and within a month they sent me a replacement part. To my surprise the replacement part pin was bent a good 60 degrees. I contacted Dan at Avid who said he would FWD it to shipping via Dennis and they would get it squared away. A month later and still no part. I'm still trying to contact Avid and see if they will hold true to their warranty, i will post again to update the progress.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman