YPK MTB Brake Pads Brake Pad

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Ryan a Downhiller from Denver

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2004

Strengths:    They're bright blue. That's something, I guess. Totally quiet. Cheaper than stock

Weaknesses:    Almost worthless. Very little stopping power, even on an 8" rotor. So weak, they're dangerous.

Bottom Line:
This review is for YPK Disc brake pads for Avid mech disk brakes. Popped these in my front brake, and had nothing but trouble. No power, no mod, basically no front brake at all. I thought it was a setup problem, so I tore the brake apart and re-installed it multiple times. I was about to replace the whole caliper when it occurred to me to try fresh Avid-brand pads and voila, the brake stops on a dime. 100% sure I did not contaminate them, never even touched em with bare hands. Stay far away.

Similar Products Used:   stock pads

Bike Setup:   Avid mechanical disk brakes, frame, wheels, tires, pedals.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    Will stop you in the dry/wet/mud. These pads are great - I'll never go back to cheap ones again

Weaknesses:    They sounded like a pig being roasted alive when I first used them, but a bit of playing about sorted the problem.

Bottom Line:
A little expensive (£7 a pair)but worth the extra money - Brilliant stopping power. My head hurt every time I touched the brake when I first used them, but toeing them in sorts the squeal out. Thanks to Thomas for that.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop - Stonehenge Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Standard pads that come with new bikes - dont even come close to these

Bike Setup:   Haro Extreme EX1 - LX groupset

Submitted by Thomas a Racer from Atlantic Canada

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Look great, stop in any weather. I swear by them; I've always had them, and know that nothing compares to their stopping ability.

Weaknesses:    After a few years they can really score rims... they last around 500km, then I have to shell out more cash for new ones (can't find the replacment cartriges.) Also if they ever squeel, it is the loudest I've ever heard, and I'd rather coast in a busy intersection then use my brakes. But toeing them in fixes the noise.

Bottom Line:
I trust my life to these brakes... of all the products I've tries these are by far the best. But they are a little expensive

Favorite Trail:   Ch'Town

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Cheap crappy brakes that don't compare

Bike Setup:   21' Kona Fire Mountain w/ nexave 48/38/28 crank, Easton EA70 bar, Michelin slicks, M515 pedals, Cannondale shoes,

Light rim brake pads for MTB

Hi I'm looking for some light brake Pads for my V-brakes. The lightest one that i found is Kool Stop pads and they weight about 10grams per wheel. An one more question: is it possible to put road brake pads to MTB brake pads holder. MartinRead More »