Shimano XTR Pads Brake Pad

2.46/5 (57 Reviews)

These Shimano XTR Race Disc Brake Metallic Pads have titanium backing plates for the pad material that is both lighter and stiffer than conventional copper backing plates. The Metallic Pad compound has better overall stopping power and lasts longer than the Resin Pads, although they tend to be a bit noisier. One pair of pads equals one wheel. Buy two pairs to complete your bike.The Shimano XTR Race Disc Brake Metallic Pads will work in both the Trail and Race versions of XTR 985 brakes as well as fitting the following Shimano brakes: XTR-M975/966/965, Saint-M800, XT-M776/775/765, SLX-M665, Hone-M601, LX-M585, Deore-M545/535.

Submitted by steve holcomb a Weekend Warrior from tampa florida

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    good stopping power/little effort. Mine have only made noise on several occasions, then I would clean the rim surface with alcohol and paper towel.....seems to work.
Keep your rims surfaces clean, if needed do it daily/hourly.

Weaknesses:    I agree with others hear, they are "rim killers". When the
metal gets into the brake pad, man, it sends chills up my spine (my poor mavic517 rims !). Sometimes I get off the bike and manually clean the rims. Most of the time, and I have found that this works, lightly apply pressure to the brakes, lightly, hold this position for a while, release, and do it again, and one more time if necessary. This works for me and gets the shavings off the rims and pads...try it.

Bottom Line:
When these pads "wear out" (or maybe sooner), I will not purchase these pads again.........I'm concerned about what they are/could be doing to my rims.

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   campy pads ?? not sure if these are simular

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter

Submitted by Matt Fehman a Cross Country Rider from Fort Wayne, In.

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2007

Strengths:    None. Zero. Nothing.

Weaknesses:    The turn hard and bridle. They pick up metal slivers from the rim and then sound horid.

Bottom Line:
The reviews are 100% spot on. These pads are junk. I switched to Kool Stop and I have a whole new view of V-brakes

Favorite Trail:   The Red Trail

Similar Products Used:   Kool Stop

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 Hardtail

Submitted by Glenn a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Strengths:    Nothing!

Weaknesses:    RIM SERIAL-KILLER!

Bottom Line:
Brand new MAVIC-rims more or less destroyed after _one trip_ with brand new XTR- pads! Pieces of aluminum from the rim got stuck in the rubber and cut deep trails in the rim, with a horrible sound when braking down! It happened on both wheels -- front and back. It costs a lot to have a wheel-builder change your rims, so if you want to support the wheel-builders and the rim producers economically, buy these pads!

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800 - Shimano XT and RaceFace components.

Submitted by II doggs a Weekend Warrior from guntersville, al usa

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    zero!!! i thought it was a good deal...Wrong! just spent money!!!

Weaknesses:    squeel, bark and chatter from begining to end

Bottom Line:
shimano should be forced to refund everyones money!
sure does give the "componant god" a black eye, i thought the chatter would stop after some wear...Wrong! these and WTB pads are the worst i've ever used, and from the look at most other reviews, it's the concensus view.

Favorite Trail:   iron legs

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   jaguar, kool-stop, ritchey

Bike Setup:   cannondale hardtail with XT/XTR

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    For ceramic pads-XTR caries some cred, Probably light weight. Last a long time maybe 'cause they are too hard.

Weaknesses:    For ceramic pads-Too hard, Gunks up Rim with black Sh*t

Bottom Line:
For ceramic pads-I reckon these are crap. Too hard, no good in wet conditions, have trashed my Racelites (Ceramic), way to expensive (but have just bought a set in Tokyo for about $5.00US)
I gave these a low rating because Shimano is usually excellent stuff but expensive (U get what U pay for), in this instance they cost too much and don't work as I would expect from Shimano, especially XTR.
As for who should buy them, I can't answer that. Not anyone who live in wet areas for starters.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   For ceramic pads-Avids, No Name Brand (For ceramics @ $5.00US)

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1 Stock setup

Submitted by Font9a Ninea a Cross Country Rider from Downieville

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Strengths:    stops

Weaknesses:    wears out

Bottom Line:
all you weenies complaining about the squeal -- it's the surface between you brake bosses and you brake arm fittings that is getting worn. Try lubing once in a while. It's good for you, it's good for her. And replace your too-long cables once a year at the very minimum. Keep your cables as short as possible, use no lube, keep them clean and your brakes will feel like little triple beam balances (precise).

Your pads are not the problem. Almost all quality pads will stop you lickity split if you take the time to treat your brake system right and give it the love it needs.

You will go faster if you can stop more quickly.

-- Font9a

Favorite Trail:   411

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   aztec

Bike Setup:   hardtail xc bike.

Submitted by KIMO a Weekend Warrior from AIEA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    It stopped my chronic brake squeal.

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
This review is for the XTR "Ceramic" pads. I had this squeal for the longest time and tried everything to get rid of it. Tried toe settings, scuffing the rims and pads, tried KoolStop pads...nothing worked. Took a chance and tried ceramic pads thinking that all the pads I've tried had a "too-soft" rubber compound that's not compatible with the anodized brake surface on my rims. Happy to say that the brakes squeal no more! I guess the harder rubber doesn't flex as much and cancels out the vibrations that caused the squeal. Anyway, I'll have to give these pads good marks because they finally stopped the squeal. If anybody has brake squeal give these pads (or any ceramic pad) a try before going nuts! Probably last a lot longer, too.

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, KoolStop

Bike Setup:   GT XCR-4000; XT parallel-push calipers; Mavic D521 SUP rims

Submitted by Skippy a Cross Country Rider from The First State

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Strengths:    They support the Japanese economy.

Weaknesses:    Squeal unrelentingly, will waste your time and money

Bottom Line:
There is not a word in the English language which could accurately convey how stupid these things are. I wasted far too much time trying to get these to stop barking and squealing. The only way to get them to be quiet is to not use your brakes. I highly recommend that one does not buy these. I have since gone back to Kool-stop and my brakes are quiet and far less annoying.

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Kool-stop, a tree

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed, XTR linear pull brakes

Submitted by Oswald a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Good stopping power

Weaknesses:    Wear fast, not good in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
I only use these for XC races. They are not good for normal xc riding, because they wear too fast and are too expensive to boot. But even for racing I think they wear too fast. They don't provide any stopping power in the wet, and since it rains almost every day here in Belgium, I'm going to try something else.

Best brakes I've had so far were Magura discs, but the constant fiddling with spacers was driving me nuts, so I switched back to V's...

Similar Products Used:   Everything from cantis to discs

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive Team, full xtr

Submitted by stripes a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, CA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    None, these things wear out and start squealing after the first ride.

Weaknesses:
crappy material, squeaky, and don't last at all.

Bottom Line:

Don't get these, either as a replacement or stock with the XTR V-brakes. The V-brakes themselves are really powerful, but use a pad that works.

These things wore out after one ride!! After several adjustments and re-toeing, they were still constantly squeaking. Also, the braking power was gone.

When I replaced them with the Koolstops, no more squeaking, and I was able to stop again. When I looked at the XTR pads, they were already worn down considerably!! This is after a month of XC use too!

They're crap and very unsafe. Don't bother.

Favorite Trail:   any with dirt

Koolstops. Never ride with anything else. There isn't a better brake pad.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ Genesisters, Fox Float RLC, XT/XTR mix..

Submitted by Arne Bjørnvolden a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    Good stopping power.

Weaknesses:    Eat up the rims. Big pieces of metal in the pads makes a terrible noice, and destroy the rims.

Bottom Line:
After a few miles in a race, the terrible noice came from the back, it took me a long time too find out it was a BIG peace of metal inbedded in the pad. I did not think this was possible at all. Something must be wrong about this product.

Purchased At:   Glade Hjul

Similar Products Used:   My C.dale F800 2000 model came with som red avid pads, they was much better.

Bike Setup:   Cdal F800. mavic rims.

Submitted by John Moss from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    Not Sure

Weaknesses:    Installing

Bottom Line:
Wish I could try them out but broke 2 pads installing them. A very tight fit. Of course I tried to force it and when I did, they broke in half.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point

Purchased At:   Calamar's

Bike Setup:   SL Santa Cruz with XTR

Submitted by Sorni a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA USA Earth

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Strengths:    Stopped the squealing on front wheel

Weaknesses:    Didn't stop front wheel!

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of CrossMax XL wheels (ceramic rims), and the front honked like a tortured goose with my Kool-stop pads -- both old ones and brand new.

So I purchased two sets of XTR Ceramic pads. Installed 'em on front, and they *DID* stop the squeal; however, they turned the rim black AND barely stopped the wheel. (Plus that grinding sound would truly suck after about 3 mins.)

I used to use regular XTR brake pads, and never had a complaint (wear seemed about same as other brands), so this review is ONLY for the Ceramic versions. THEY BAD!!!

Favorite Trail:   Last ride

Purchased At:   Performance (local)

Similar Products Used:   XTR (regular composition), Kool-stop (black compound).

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade, XTR except where not...

Submitted by Steve from Chunan, Korea

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Strengths:    common - easy to find in stores

Weaknesses:    wear very quickly

Bottom Line:
If setup properly, they don't squeal.
The main problem with these pads is that they wear much too quickly. I've completely worn through a new set (front and rear) of these pads from two rides!!! Today's ride was a bit wet and muddy, but at the end of my three hour ride I found that I had worn the pads down to near the metal cartridge with a complete loss of braking power. The pads looked as though they had melted onto the rim. They wear very quickly.

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from germantown

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Strengths:    stops verry well in all conditions, easy to install on xtr brakes

Weaknesses:    wear very fast and squeak in any condition seem to be a little too soft

Bottom Line:
they r nice to have when they come stock, but i would not rebuy, use cool stops if u plan on upgrading

Purchased At:   lbs