Shimano XT Pads Brake Pad

2.03/5 (39 Reviews)

Shimano XT Pads

Submitted by 6_Miles_to_Work_and_6_back a Weekend Warrior from Royersford, PA USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    If you ride in the rain, gradually subtracts weight from your bike by grinding aluminum off your rims.

Weaknesses:    In my case, some of this ground-off aluminum somehow collected in a 1/2 mm deposit just below the pad surface (on both pads no less!)--impossible to dislodge without taking the pad off, yet surprisingly effective at chewing up my rim. I got these pads with XT brakes on clearance and replaced the pads after five rides. In 35 years of riding bicycles for transportation, I have never seen both pads collect a nugget of aluminum in the same place and grind a channel you can see and feel down the middle of a rim. I didn't know a pad could do this. Terrible grinding noise and extra black dust, of course.

Bottom Line:
Anything that chews up $60 rims is less than worthless.

Favorite Trail:   home to mini-mart for ice cream

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Brake Pads: Ritchey RW2, Avid, Trek, (Red) Mathauser many years ago. Trying Aztec2 pads now because that's what LBS had.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Coda steel cross bike, nice fat T519 Mavic rims on Phil Wood front hub with Specialized Armadillo 700x38C tires with Avid 2.0 V brakes, Bontrager cermamic rims on XTR hub rear with Vredstein? 700x32C tires and XT V brakes with a brake booster, Nightsun 35 watt commuter headlights light.

Submitted by KIMO a Weekend Warrior from AIEA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Strengths:    The Shimano name is suppose to represent quality in bike parts.. Boy, was I wrong!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    I can't get by brakes to stop squealing. Two weeks of adjusting toe, sanding the rims and pads produced no improvement. The brakes on my kid's Huffy run quieter. Super abrasive....bye-bye rims!!!!

Bottom Line:
Just got the KoolStop pads so I'm trying them out. So far, so good. I will never put Shimano pads on my bike again, even if it's free. Pads feel like they're a combination of rubber and valve-grinding compound. Giving these pads a rating of "1" only because there isn't a "0" rating.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano replacement pads, KoolStop

Bike Setup:   Do you really care???? This is about brakes....

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Kitchener, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Strengths:    They fit into XT brakes.
They are called pads

Weaknesses:    Pads worked good for about one hour. After they seen alittle wet stuff. They would not stop squelling and wore out in about 3 rides 60- 80 kms of trail

Bottom Line:
These have to be one of the weakest products Shimano has put out. They work great for ...... nothing waste of time and money!!

Favorite Trail:   Guelph Lake

Purchased At:   True North Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kool stops Ritchey

Bike Setup:   True North, Cromo easton Tubing. Full XT. Bomber Atom 80. Race face Stem, Crank And BB.MAvic Crosslinks. EA70 seat post and bar. Salle XO

Submitted by Wade a Cross Country Rider from Woodbury

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2003

Strengths:    keeps the pad holder from contacting the rim.

Weaknesses:    affinity for rim metal. rapid wear.

Bottom Line:
These pads came on my first V-brake bike. I thought they were fine until I wore them out in ONE DAY of wet riding. I was lucky and didn't go all the way down. A bike mechanic on the ride rode his into the rim!

When I changed to WTB's I found that: little pieces of metal quit showing up in the pad, brakes don't HAVE to squeal, and that pads don't have to wear out every time it rains.

I've put 10x the wet riding on WTB/KoolStops than the OEM jobs, and they're still fine.

Seems like Shimano could do a better job. EVERY OTHER pad I've tried has been better than the Shimano product.

The good knews is-for Shimano pad users- I now carry a spare set in the Camelbak.

Favorite Trail:   it's all good

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   WTB, KoolStop, no-name

Bike Setup:   Yes

Submitted by mikeb a Cross Country Rider from Sodom in the North

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    overpriced
don't last very long
don't do a very good job of stopping the bike

Bottom Line:
worst pads i've ever used. would never buy them again. would take them out and throw them away if i got a new set of XT brakes. end of story.

Favorite Trail:   boggs mountain demonstration forest

Purchased At:   private seller

Similar Products Used:   i have been riding moutain bikes for a while

Bike Setup:   i was using these pads on my GT with xt vee brakes.

Submitted by Todd Kunkler a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    I hated these pads when I first got them with my Shimano XT brakes. They seemed far too abrasive. But after trying three other brands... trying to stop the squealing, I put these back on. NO MORE SQUEALING! I was ready to buy disc brakes for the front.

Weaknesses:    They ARE abrasive and I'm sure I'll have to replace my wheels a bit sooner but... that's ok

Bottom Line:
If you've tried every other brake pad to stop the squealing, go back to these pads.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Point

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Kool Stop and WTB razor blade

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed with XT and XTR

Submitted by L Friesen a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    none at all

Weaknesses:    worst sound i have ever heard coming off a set of pads. Squeal with even just a light moistening, let along mud. Shimano you should be ashamed to sell these with good XT brakes

Bottom Line:
When you buy XT's dont even bother using these at all- immediatly change to kool stops- they are amazing.
Im just angry that I have to patronise these pads with one chili

Similar Products Used:   Kool Stop Eagle 2's

Bike Setup:   deore levers, XT Vee's, kool stop eagle 2 pads (I switched)

Submitted by Richie a Cross Country Rider from The Bronx

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    They Stop

Weaknesses:    They sound really bad, even the Taxi drivers rolled up their windows, and are eating up my rims.

Bottom Line:
The pads came with the V-brakes, and no matter what you do with the pads they still squeal bad. I'm turning to Kool-Stops before I give an old lady a heart attack.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Kool Stops

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F700 XT'd out, Spinergy X-Rok rims, Panaracer Fire Pro

Submitted by Aaron from Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    Stop OK on the first few rides, no noise then.

Weaknesses:    I cleaned my rims after I installed the brakes, after the very next ride they were full of black gunk.
They squeal

Bottom Line:
For road use ONLY! After riding through mud the pads had a coating of dirt embedded into them. Kool stop is the best!

Favorite Trail:   Wilmont Mountain

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   rim wrangler, ritchey, KOOL STOP

Bike Setup:   Jamis Exile, XT, Mavic, SID

Submitted by Todd Kunkler a Cross Country Rider from Sylmar, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    They're like a grind stone against the rim.

Bottom Line:
World's worst brake pads. Get KoolStop replacements NOW

Favorite Trail:   La Tuna

Purchased At:   Full brake system from Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Avid

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed with XT and XTR

Submitted by Ddust13 a Weekend Warrior from Bolton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Strengths:    None! They suck!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    These have destroyed my rear rims with only mild usage without riding through mud of dirt. They are dirt magnets, they hold onto dirt and let it grind your rims to nothing. They suck!

Bottom Line:
Did I say they suck? That's why I'm getting some Kool-Stops today

Submitted by Alan Koslowski a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    Decent Power in dry conditions

Weaknesses:    Wear quickly
Mediocre at best in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
Note: Price paid is for 1-pair

Just thought I'd throw in another mediocre to bad review for this product. Guy at the shop said these are good. They work fairly well in dry conditions, but performance decreases greatly in wet weather and pads deteriorate quickly. The MSRP is high, performance is at best average. NOT a good value.

Favorite Trail:   Little Bald Hills (Redwood NP)

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Avid stock brakes (came w/V brakes), Aztec

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized FSR XC, stock

Submitted by Kevin Niesen a Racer from Union Grove , Wi

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Strengths:    None None None

Weaknesses:    Every thing! Squeals like a pig going in heat, also sounds like palm sander on your rims, $30 what the hell for ?

Bottom Line:
Never used anything else (my fault) I thought I was doing something wrong on my set up until I was enlighten by others that wrote about this piece of S$%t. Next will be Kool Stops. I think the Manufacture should reimburse us for new rims, so write me a check for 500 big ones.

Favorite Trail:   Wimont Mt.

Similar Products Used:   Next !

Submitted by Ferrari a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    Works well in dry weather, but still squeaks if not toed-in.

Weaknesses:    It fails almost totally when comes in contact with mud. Brakes feels like it disappeared and could hear it sratching the rims. Squeals so loudly, u can hear it from a mile. And it did sratches the rims upon inspection. All those metallic liquid on my mavics...darn it

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these. They are over-priced and way way way underperformed. One big dissapointment. Eat your expensive rims. A heartbreaker... Get Koolstops instead. At least they live up to it's name by really stopping your bike even in mud. The dudes at SHimano better get this pad making thing done right. U guys almost killed me with your failing brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Track 15, Mandai

Similar Products Used:   some taiwanese brake pads, which were much much better

Bike Setup:   2001 Zaskar Race, judy race, XT/XTR/Thomson componentry

Submitted by Manny E. from Austin,Tx.

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    Hmmm...
.......
.......Ok -they will STOP your bike.(But you'll be deaf as sh*t!)

Weaknesses:    ...Did I mention something about 'deafness',above?????
Man,I thought I was watching "Deliverance" on t.v.!
...."Squeeeeal like a pig,boy!!"

Bottom Line:
The whole Shimano setup "XT",is good,in my opinion. I like brake levers,and shifters. But these XT pads... dudes...they suck!! (not necessarily the brake unit themselves.)
XT pads are always good out of the shop,but they get bad very,very quickly! I've had to have my front brake adjusted at least 10 times. I just bought bike in November!!
At the suggestion of a bud,I'm switching to 'KoolStop EagleClaws'.

How to adjust / center XT brake pads

My girlfriend just got a new ( demo ) SB95 which has the new XT disc brakes on it. The front pads are rubbing. I know how to center most brake calipers, but these don't have the adjustment slots. How do you center the pads on these things?Read More »

XT pads ?

Hello, I need new pads on my Shimano XT brakes, I searched everywhere to find "normal" pads and NOT the one expensive with the "cooling fin" like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]780533[/ATTACH] Any idea if that exists ? a link for example ?Read More »

Suggestions for finding 2012 Shimano XT Brake Pads Locally in WNC or Upstate SC

I was changing out my brake rotors today for some new ones, and realized that I forgot to order new brake pads for them. I hate to run the old pads on the new rotors, plus they are probably 80% worn. I figured since the trails are to wet to ride tomorrow, I would take the opportunity to make my ... Read More »

Who has good deals on ice tech xt pads

Who have you bought your ice tech xt pads from? Mine need replacing and most online retailers I usually use don't have them.Read More »

Best XT M785 pads

I need to replace the pads on my XT M785's. It has stock pads with the cooling fins. These pads are more then twice to three times the amount of others. Are they worth the cost or are others just as good?Read More »