Shimano Disc Brake Pad

2.6/5 (10 Reviews)

For Shimano XT 4 piston Disc brakes.

Submitted by MarkN a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    Bike came with resin pads (B01S) fitted which were effective but I wore them out within 5 months doing a daily run down a 600ft high hill. I am 100kg. Now using metal pads (E01S) which make a whole lot more noise. The literature that came with the bike appeared to suggest only resin pads be used, so I've proven you can use metal but they do make more noise.

Weaknesses:    Was surprised to realise that the resin pads would last only a few months. A bit disappointed with the noise of the metal pads - I'll wait and see how long they last. If they last no longer than the resin ones, will go back to resin as they cost the same and make less noise. Otherwise the noise doesn't seem to detract from their effeciveness.

Bottom Line:
This is my first disc brake bike and I was naiively expecting the pads to last indefinitely, so it was a shock when the LBS said that I'd be lucky to get 6 months out of them. Replaced resin pads at 4 months when they had hardly any pad left on them, so they were definitely spent. Changing the pads was an easy job. Although it looks like I will be buying pads regularly from this point forward, its probably not a Shimano-specific problem in all fairness.

Favorite Trail:   Crosslands

Similar Products Used:   I have a road bike with rim brakes... there's no doubt that disc brakes are more effective when you have a lot of braking to do.

Bike Setup:   My 2011 XTC29er came with Shimano disc brakes. Ride mostly at night... got a Lupine light on the bar and an Ay Up on my helmet. Between the lights and the noise of the brakes, not much chance of going unnoticed.

Submitted by mailman a Cross Country Rider from Groton, CT

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Strengths:    At 205 lbs, I'm a fairly heavy rider. The metallic pads that came with the BR-M535 brake system served me well for two years of aggressive riding on over 800 miles of trails.

Weaknesses:    There are too dam many variations of pads out there. Metallic, resin, steel backing plate, titanium backing plate. Confusing.

Bottom Line:
The metallic pads (M06) served me well for many years and several hundred miles on the trail. They are reliable and not affected by wet or muddy conditions. Rarely did they make noise, and when they did it was because something (piece of sand or dirt) had become trapped between the pad and rotor. After a few braking events, the material always cleared itself. The only time I have braking issues is during winter rides in freezing temperatures, where a slight ice glaze sometimes forms on the disc. It takes a few seconds for the brakes to melt through the ice glaze and actually slow/stop the bicycle. Except for panic stops, this is not really a problem because you can plan for it. Although I mention this issue, I don't really see any way it can be avoided through brake pad selection.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   None - this was the first set of pads I burned through

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS (full suspension cross-country) with the BR-M535 hydraulic brake system on the front and rear.

Submitted by Neilos a Racer from White River South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2008

Strengths:    Resin pads are inexpensive and u enjoy quiet braking in the dry.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely useless in any wet muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
Just completed the Sabie Experience(4 day mountain stage race)last two days were ridden in torrential rain and mud. All five anthems that we knew of and there were many more, lost resin pads within an hour of the first downpour. Had to run the downhills on the way home. Robbed all local bike shops that night of stock on these resin pads only to blow them completely within an hour on the final race day.
If you are looking for brake pads to handle all weather rather put up with some dusty brake "singing" (metal sintered) than have to plod the downhills after months of training..

Favorite Trail:   Tims Rim

Purchased At:   Local Bike store

Similar Products Used:   Avid juicy

Bike Setup:   Anthem 2 2008 Aussie bike set up is what we get over here XT wheels, hubs, Maxis monorails, Xt Rear D etc.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    They work!

Weaknesses:    Expensive, wear out quickly & metal pads HOOOOOWLLLL!

Bottom Line:
About tired of these pads. I've run both the metal & resin pads. The metal ones start howling after just a couple uses. Shop suggested I switch to resin. That helped w/ the howling, but they wear out too quickly. Going through 2 sets a year ea on front & back. At $25 x 4= $100 a year in brake pads???

Favorite Trail:   Redfish Lake Loop

Purchased At:   George's

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works Epic

Submitted by Andy Lo a Cross Country Rider from Penang, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap. Dirt cheap. It takes up heat very well thanks to copper plate. Good stopping power. Easy maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Noisy. Noisy as in it's not silent, can still hear the brake rubbing sometimes even when it's not pressed. Not good braking power in the wet(rain/river).

Bottom Line:
Not a bad brake pad. I cycle a lot of downhill. Previously with the Shimano resin pads, during heavy and long brakings smoke will appear and brakes tend to lose it's stopping power. But with this metal set now, I never worried about burning it cause it's just so good. The noise sounds quite nice and rough also, which makes it sound aggresive? Since I dont cycle when it rains, so it's the perfect pad for my bike. I would get it again after mine wears off. For RM3 that I paid for a set, there's nothing to compare with. Even v-brake pads are the same price.

Purchased At:   PinkBike Penang

Similar Products Used:   Kool Stop, Shimano resin.

Bike Setup:   Tank Easton Elite, Deore compo with hydraulic disc and XT 8" front.

Submitted by David Gasser a Cross Country Rider from Sion,Valais Suisse

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Strengths:    copper pads will dissipate de heats

Weaknesses:    complety burned after a 500m downhill of 100% with a 200mm disc

Bottom Line:
Use V-Brake for Cross Country

Purchased At:   shimano

Similar Products Used:   delta

Bike Setup:   BMC Fourtuned

Submitted by orb from Victoria

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2004

Strengths:    • Great modulation and power in dry
• Relatively cheap

Weaknesses:    • No power when wet
• Squeal loudly under hard breaking when wet

Bottom Line:
Great in dry summer conditions.
Absolutly suck in wet winter conditions.

I'm hoping I can find some decent metalic pads for wet weather. The resin pads simply are non-function in wet weather.

Purchased At:   $25 CND

Bike Setup:   AC1 frame, Shimano 525 disks.

Submitted by Jan a Cross Country Rider from Ballerup, Denmark

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    The pads have a copper backplating that dissipates the heat when braking. The sintered metal compund ensures long pad life.

Weaknesses:    Well, compared to organic pads, the metallic pads produce a louder noise when braking. The copper backplate and the sintered metal can also react with salts and dirt from the road when it rains and stuff like that, however this is a limited problem.
Price has also been an issue. The pads are a bit expensive for Shimano stuff.

Bottom Line:
The metallic pads(M03) are the only pads you should use on the Shimano XT disc brake system. The sintered metal can't glace or "burn out" when braking which of course is a huge advantage when going down a steep hill or such. And they last longer than organic pads. If you get organic pads you only get a little less noise when the pads hit the brake disc but the organic compound can easily overheat and reduce the brake performance, also the backplating of the organic pads is not made of copper, thus preventing quick heat dissipation.

I have not tried any other manufacturer than Shimano, but you can rest assure that the Shimano stuff is well tested,

For value rating I give the metallic pads 3 Chilis, due to the fact that the pads are a bit expensive.
For Overall rating I give the metallic pads 4 Chilis because I still haven't worn them a bit after 6 months of riding.

Purchased At:   a local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M04 organic pads(they produce a little less noise)

Bike Setup:   Centurion(Danish) frame, Rock Shox Judy XC front fork, Shimano XT disc front, Promax V-brake rear.

Submitted by BCRider a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver Canada

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    Good dry weather performance

Weaknesses:    Soft grab in wet

Bottom Line:
Less than impressed. The whole reason for discs is to avoid differences in dry to wet changes. The brakes themselves are great with light feel and good modulation in the dry but when the rotors and pads get wet these pads don't cut it. Tried another wheel set with Hayes rotors and the pads performed the same so it's not that the Deore rotors lack water drainage as some suspected. Oh, and they shudder and squeal in the wet when you increase the lever pressure to stop in time. All this is on a commuter bike. I hate to think of these on a long offroad downhill in wet conditions. But unlike the other review wear has not been an issue, just wet grip.

Shimano continues their long and proud heritage of not being able to make/select braking friction materials. I'll give it a 3 for value as I gather they are cheap but a 2 for overall because of the wet performance.

Purchased At:   Bike store